Rob C

Diet and trading

The link below is to a BBC program where they had twins both day trade on different diets. The one on the Keto diet (which is the one I am on) did poorly. Essentially the program is helping to deter the use of the Keto diet. They briefly interviewed a professor from Tufts University.

Now if you go to the second link it discusses the results from the Tufts University experiment. The results are not as cut and dry as the BBC program. The results state there was a decrease in memory for the Keto diet (compared to low calorie dieters), but the Keto dieters had a better "attention vigilance". Now for someone like myself who mostly trades at the open, I prefer the improved attention over the memory.  

Please have a look and let me know your take on it. Thanks.

BBC program (you have to scroll down a bit to see the video):

http://10xroitradingsystem.com/could-your-diet-be-affecting-your-trading/

The study from Tufts:

https://now.tufts.edu/news-releases/low-carb-diets

Seems the link will not go directly to the news article. You have to type "low carb diets" in the search to get to the article. Sorry.

Edited by Rob C

Nice I've been doing Keto for a 3 weeks now I haven't noticed anything mentally but surely I've feel better phsyically. But great read

I'm glad you found it interesting. I wish they had data on vegan and trading as well. 

I did find the Keto diet gave me better attention. It took about two months. Now was it the diet itself or the diet gave me more energy to exercise more and that in turn improved my attention? That I don't know. I am just glad it improved.

As for memory... Before I changed to the Keto diet I was working on improving my sleep quality, which I accomplished very successful (and surprisingly). This greatly improved my memory. So if there was a memory drop due to the diet, It was just a small pullback to the improvement and not noticeable.

These are interesting, but I wouldn’t consider it science. 

Maybe it’s because my personal experience with Keto has been completely different.

The BBC program: there are soooooo many other variables than the twins diets that would impact their ability to learn in one morning about charts and day trading, that I take absolutely nothing from this little experiment.

Tufts study: the problem here is using the “low carb diet” for one week. The study should have actually looked at the people AFTER they were in ketosis for a while, they probably didn’t even get into ketosis in one week.  So I agree with the study in part, because while your brain is switching from glucose to ketones, yeah, it’s a bit foggy. But once it switches and your body “heals” your brain starts firing much quicker.

My personal experience with the Keto diet has been great. Besides the weight loss, the best way I was able to describe the change in my brain. Before when asked a question, sometimes I would have to “search” my brain for an answer, kind of like, try to think back and link some things together to remember things. In ketosis, the answer is usually there immediately, no searching was required.

example: where did I put my coffee, before ketosis: trace my steps back, think of what I did thirty minutes ago, oh yeah I was in the bathroom, then went to my desk and set my cup down

in ketosis: onmy desk, I’m not sure if the other mental steps are completely skipped over, or if they are just blasted through at hyper speed. Either way, the result is the same, quicker answers to the question.

My concentration was also boosted, ive heard people talk about the effects of aderol on their concentration level, the way they explain it is how I feel when I’m in ketosis.

Basically when I’m in ketosis the “brain fog” feels like it’s just lifted away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hailchaser2 said:

These are interesting, but I wouldn’t consider it science. 

Maybe it’s because my personal experience with Keto has been completely different.

The BBC program: there are soooooo many other variables than the twins diets that would impact their ability to learn in one morning about charts and day trading, that I take absolutely nothing from this little experiment.

Tufts study: the problem here is using the “low carb diet” for one week. The study should have actually looked at the people AFTER they were in ketosis for a while, they probably didn’t even get into ketosis in one week.  So I agree with the study in part, because while your brain is switching from glucose to ketones, yeah, it’s a bit foggy. But once it switches and your body “heals” your brain starts firing much quicker.

My personal experience with the Keto diet has been great. Besides the weight loss, the best way I was able to describe the change in my brain. Before when asked a question, sometimes I would have to “search” my brain for an answer, kind of like, try to think back and link some things together to remember things. In ketosis, the answer is usually there immediately, no searching was required.

example: where did I put my coffee, before ketosis: trace my steps back, think of what I did thirty minutes ago, oh yeah I was in the bathroom, then went to my desk and set my cup down

in ketosis: onmy desk, I’m not sure if the other mental steps are completely skipped over, or if they are just blasted through at hyper speed. Either way, the result is the same, quicker answers to the question.

My concentration was also boosted, ive heard people talk about the effects of aderol on their concentration level, the way they explain it is how I feel when I’m in ketosis.

Basically when I’m in ketosis the “brain fog” feels like it’s just lifted away.

Agreed. I didn't feel the concentration improvement until about 3 weeks on the Keto diet. So the study was too short.