Dhat

IB Trader Workstation Day Trading Setup

I can only get it to reproduce for short positions.  This is in simulator for what it is worth. 

Short_nonactive_buttons.png

Posted (edited)

are you sure you have clicked the position above the buttons and not clicking in the left top order window?

are you sure the tool with the buttons is for Stocks and not something else?

Edited by pbenci

Yes, the position above the buttons is the current position I want.  The positions information is correct. And, I'm sure this is for stocks. 

These windows are linked through the green group.  I usually click on the left Favorites window to select the symbol for the stock I want to view.  It's not that the Buttons never work for shorts.  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  I haven't been able to find the reason through online searches and through TWS help.  I haven't cared enough to contact IB just yet.

Hi all,

I am also a user of TWS mainly because I use Linux and also paying an extra platform . Nice info in this thread.

I have the same issues pointed out here: making horizontal lines takes too long...has anyone written to IB support asking for some support on it?

Other question: how do you put the executed trades mark on the chart as triangles? I have only little bars...

Concerning the closing and partial closing of the open orders I have done it by using the reverse order thanks to the tip of Will S and in my version there is the action for the hotkey close position, but I still have to test it.

Looking forward to your reply.

Edited by baymax_hiro

i kinda shorted it one or two clicks by using a thumbnail chart instead of normal chart in the daily graph. The other side of this, is that you can not use analytic drawings like moving averages in that window. But you can right-click and choose "add horizontal line"

the bars to triangles is a setting in the chart settings on the right side

67383471_ScreenShot2019-01-13at21_37_00.thumb.png.528dc44cd0efa52e46d792e52c78cd91.png

The Close position shortcut closes 100% of the position. Anyway i am using it for being "All out" as i always use shortcuts for buyg/selling 100 200 500 or 1000 shares which covers my needs quite comfortably.

Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply and for the tips.

Has anyone figured out how to have the same horizontal lines that are available on DAS for previous day low/high and "2 days ago" low/high?

Looking forward to your ideas on that.

Hi,

I've read the posts about TWS from IB and I understand it's better to pay a $ 100 more and get  the DAS platform, right? 

Can anybody tell me if TWS has ECN? 

And is it possible to configurate the charts in white/black, as many BBT-members have?

Thanks

All other suggestions are also welcome 😁!!

Hi Peter De Beir,

I think ECN fees are dependent on broker/routing/exchange or some combination.  Maybe someone else can clarify, or talk to you broker.

For TWS charts, I have not found a way to replicate BBT's DAS chart colors exactly.  It is possible to make the charts close, but the "Bar Up" color seems to be tied to the Background somehow.  In a chart, click Edit, then "Global Chart Configuration", then "Chart Colors (on the left of the pop-up window).  Under the "General" Tab, you should see, "Bar up", "Bar down", "Background", etc.  For me, I can get BBT's DAS color's except the Bar up is not white (it seems to me "Bar up" has to be a different color than the background).

My 2 cents about TWS.  I've used it many months to save money after using DAS.  I made due paying for Q data only and only trading Q stocks (<$50 per month).  I paid the $25 for the 2 week challenge to try DAS again.  DAS is much more responsive (when seconds count) and the charting is better.   So, it depends.  I used TWS because of the month to month cost.  If DAS is within your budget, then there's no benefit in using TWS except for a backup (DAS goes down).

I hope this helps.

2 hours ago, CassA said:

Hi Peter De Beir,

I think ECN fees are dependent on broker/routing/exchange or some combination.  Maybe someone else can clarify, or talk to you broker.

For TWS charts, I have not found a way to replicate BBT's DAS chart colors exactly.  It is possible to make the charts close, but the "Bar Up" color seems to be tied to the Background somehow.  In a chart, click Edit, then "Global Chart Configuration", then "Chart Colors (on the left of the pop-up window).  Under the "General" Tab, you should see, "Bar up", "Bar down", "Background", etc.  For me, I can get BBT's DAS color's except the Bar up is not white (it seems to me "Bar up" has to be a different color than the background).

My 2 cents about TWS.  I've used it many months to save money after using DAS.  I made due paying for Q data only and only trading Q stocks (<$50 per month).  I paid the $25 for the 2 week challenge to try DAS again.  DAS is much more responsive (when seconds count) and the charting is better.   So, it depends.  I used TWS because of the month to month cost.  If DAS is within your budget, then there's no benefit in using TWS except for a backup (DAS goes down).

I hope this helps.

Hi CassA.

It certainly helps. The platform should response immediately. This seconds count a lot for the way I daytrade, so it will be DAS.

Coincidentally, I read today in the first book of Andrew that he does not recommend TWS for daytrading. It might look like saving money, but it will probably cost more money in the end. 

Thanks!

@CassA @Peter de Beir

DAS is just a middleman between yourself and your broker to execute trades more efficiently. The only fee that DAS will every charge is their monthly cost.

Any other fee associated with trading is charged from the Broker.

The tricky part is understanding that DAS does not have a perfect relationship with brokers to calculate all the fees correctly. DAS tries to calculate the broker fees, the ecn fees, the regulatory fees, the clearing fees, that are charged through the broker, but most of the time, if not 100% of the time, the fees are inaccurate.  For example, if you are looking at your fees/commissions on the DAS platform, those are guesstimates and are most certainly inaccurate. You need to go to your actual broker statement to find the exact charges.  

As far as I know, you can request DAS to charge whatever your broker charges for the actual commission fee, but all the other fees, especially the ECN fees or rebates, are very likely to be inaccurate guesses.

For anyone using Interactive Brokers and DAS. take a screen shot of your account page in DAS with the commission and fees after you are done trading the day. Save it. Later that evening when your broker fee is available around 8pm EST or so, log onto IB and compare the commissions in IB with the commission in DAS. Mine are ALWAYS different. IB/your broker will always be the more accurate one you are actually getting charged.

Hi WilliamH,

Thanks for your explanation! I did indeed expect that DAS would give me the correct fees, so it is good to know that it is not. 

My initial post was not about the fees btw. I probably didn't make myself clear. When using TWS, you still pay for the data ($ 45). And DAS with data is $ 150. So that is a difference of about $ 100. 

I made my choice and just subscribed for the DAS platform. Responsive time is important! So coming week I'll have a live account with IB and DAS.

Starting easy (small size, few trades), as I am pretty busy with my 'normal' job at the moment. I am curious whether IB will place the PDT rule on my account or not. While I'm not a US resident.

they will apply the PDT to every margin account.

what is the technical reason you think the das shall be quicker as you say? 

11 hours ago, peterB said:

they will apply the PDT to every margin account.

what is the technical reason you think the das shall be quicker as you say? 

In that case, I will have to fund more money. Or trade less (no option 🙂 ).

I have no idea why TWS is slower, but that's what I understood from the info at the forum. Do you have a better experience with TWS? 

i don’t as i trade on a Mac i was just curious what could be so slow about tws