JasonH

Alternative to Trade Ideas

I've never installed and used Trade ideas, but I don't think it supports going back in time? (Someone please confirm this for me.) i.e. Pick a date in the past and see what the watchlist would have been?

Using (very high quality / expensive) historical data, I built a tool in Python that allows you to build watchlists in the same manner as you would in Trade Ideas, and do it for a range of dates in the past. This would obviously be beneficial to anyone back-testing trading strategies. I've tested it by comparing the results to old BearBullTraders watchlists going back to May. (Using same criteria for price, volume, float, etc. as BBT Trade Ideas scanner.) It produces the same watchlists with just a couple of tickers being different. This could be the result of someone at BBT adding/removing tickers from the watchlist produced by Trade Ideas, or the configuration being a little different.

The tool allows you to enter these parameters: 1) range of dates, 2) min/max price, 3) min average daily volume, 4) min premarket volume, 5) premarket % change. I'll probably be adding some more like ATR. However, even without supporting ATR as a criteria, the watchlists are almost identical.

I think with a little more work it could also become a real-time tool like Trade Ideas.

Anyway, if you're interested in the historical watchlist generator, feel free to DM me.

Edited by JasonH

On 9/24/2019 at 12:07 AM, Jason said:

I've never installed and used Trade ideas, but I don't think it supports going back in time? (Someone please confirm this for me.) i.e. Pick a date in the past and see what the watchlist would have been?

Using (very high quality / expensive) historical data, I built a tool in Python that allows you to build watchlists in the same manner as you would in Trade Ideas, and do it for a range of dates in the past. This would obviously be beneficial to anyone back-testing trading strategies. I've tested it by comparing the results to old BearBullTraders watchlists going back to May. (Using same criteria for price, volume, float, etc. as BBT Trade Ideas scanner.) It produces the same watchlists with just a couple of tickers being different. This could be the result of someone at BBT adding/removing tickers from the watchlist produced by Trade Ideas, or the configuration being a little different.

The tool allows you to enter these parameters: 1) range of dates, 2) min/max price, 3) min average daily volume, 4) min premarket volume, 5) premarket % change. I'll probably be adding some more like ATR. However, even without supporting ATR as a criteria, the watchlists are almost identical.

I think with a little more work it could also become a real-time tool like Trade Ideas.

Anyway, if you're interested in the historical watchlist generator, feel free to DM me.

Hi Jason,

I think ur right. You can set TI to a past date for replay  of the stocks u found in the original scan, but I don't know of "scanning" in the past.

I would definitely be interested in ur scanner using Python. I'm familiar w/ Python but haven't used it for years. I too am looking for a viable alternative to TI b/c I'm not making enough to offset the cost.

For the "what" to be included in the Python scanner, we ccould look at the columns of the Gappers list as a start. Oh, in my past life (10+ years ago), I was a software test engineer for about 10 years. Unfortunately never go into automated testing b/c it didn't sync with the needs of the project. But automated ttesting at the time was the way to go. I mostly did manual testing -- painful to execute and maintain.

William

Edited by wklodge
adding more ideas/info