Carlos M.

What UPS Battery Back-up are you using or recommend?

This morning, prior to the market open, one of my power strips when out. That power strip only had connected one monitor, speakers and standup sit down desk. Not sure what caused it, but it made me think that is time to upgrade from a regular power strip to something more protective with battery back up. Especially for the CPU.

Anyone using a product they can recommend?

Carlos

Hey Carlos,

I've been buying (and relying on) UPS's for years and after many experiences with different vendors I've come to trust only one brand, APC. I'll warn you now, they're not cheap.

A few other tips to think about...

Size Matters

When sizing your UPS device be sure to consider more than just your computer. Think about all of the critical devices between you and your broker. You've got your computer, probably the router, an internet modem of some sort, multiple monitors, etc. You'll want to be able to put all of those items onto the UPS. The goal is to survive a power outage, or even an momentary brownout, with no impact to your trading desk. Most ISP's bring your internet service into your residence over fiber, CAT6, coaxial cable, or phone lines, and as long as your on-premise equipment (the modem) is protected by an UPS, your internet connection will actually continue to operate just fine while your residence is completely powered down and in the dark. Next is your router or switch. Then your computer and monitors. Get all of those things onto a strip or two that is then plugged into the UPS. It does you no good if your computer is up, but your monitors are not, or your internet modem is dead.

Time Matters

Depending on the model of UPS you pick, you'll have varying levels of time before it's power reserve runs out. At the low end you should have no less than 15-20 minutes, on the high end some UPSs will give you hours. Either way, you'll still be in control and have time to either exit your positions or stay in the market. The amount of money you spend on an UPS will largely be dictated by this decision alone, how much time do you need to have in reserves. If you only need 15-20 minutes you can get by with a less expensive model. If you require all-day trading, then it's going to cost you, potentially in the thousands.

Have a flashlight at your trading desk, cause the only light you'll have is whatever your monitors are putting off. Those of you with black backgrounds will have less light than those of you with white backgrounds (naturally).

Simulate an outage until it doesn't phase your nerves

Once you're all setup, I recommend doing several live tests. Not in your live account of course, but in your simulator account. Have someone randomly shut off the breaker to the circuit feeding your UPS and measure how much time you have with all critical devices plugged in. You're going to need to remember this number. Establish and practice your emergency procedure for exiting positions and taking your accounts flat. Most UPSs throw an audible alarm when power goes out. It can be a very nerve racking experience, even for the most emotionally stable trader. So, in a controlled fashion, when your money is not at risk, simulate an outage and practice your response procedure(s) over and over until it doesn't phase your nerves at all. "Oh, I just lost power, ok, I need to do X, Y, and Z." Cool as a cucumber. The reason this is very important is because in the heat of the moment you need a cool head to be able to focus all your attention on exiting your positions. If your freaking out about the room being dark, or the UPS alarm squawking in your ear, you're at risk for making bad decisions.

It is a really weird feeling when you lose power unexpectedly, your entire house (or neighborhood) is dark, the lights are off in your office, it might be pitch dark, the UPS is the only sound squawking loudly, but meanwhile your ISP modem, router, computer, monitors, trading platform, etc. are still lit up and operating like nothing happened. Prepare yourself for this and practice it regularly so when it does happen you brush it off and keep your cool.

I couldn't fathom what it would be like to be in a heavy position and everything just goes black. Traders worst nightmare.

best of luck,

Uncle B

• Like 1

Uncle B,

Thank you so much for this valuable information! Looking at APC now and I do see how Runtime makes a huge difference in prices. For my type of trading I don't need that much time, just a couple of minutes to exit positions and make sure the system can be booted down properly. Great call on the internet router something that did not cross my mind.

Looking at APC BR1500G and BE600M1 Battery Backup Bundle on Amazon. I'll place the big one in the computer room and since my router is in another room I will have the small one there to make sure that's powered.

It clearly never crossed my mind to do an actual simulation like you described, once I have it all set up I will take some time to do that and make sure I know exactly what to expect and that everything runs as expected.

Thanks again for your this information, I really appreciate it and I am sure others will benefit from it as well.

Carlos

Carlos,

You're welcome! Definitely let us know how everything turns out. I'm sure others will benefit from learning about your setup, and hearing how your tests go.

I took a quick look at that bundle and it looks like a good reliable unit, but buried way down in the Amazon Questions section I see some people talking about how the buddy unit has a short DC cord (only a foot or two) that needs to plug right into the back of the main unit. So basically they need to sit side by side. That may impact your plans to locate them in different rooms. Just a heads up.

You're on the right track though!

Best of luck,

Uncle B

Thank you for the information, Uncle B! Hugely informative and helpful.

Thanks, Carlos, for bringing this up. It is important to have power backup and a plan to manage everything should something happen. .

I have an APC unit and a CyberPower unit (picked up at my local MicroCenter). I have 1 router on one, and my other router and modem on another (I have 2 ISP's). I have my trading monster computer and monitors plugged into one and the other runs my DVR, network switch and a second computer I remote into and my Intel NUC that I use as as server. Both are 1500VA and they both give me about 15 minutes of run time which is more than enough time for a quick outage or any type of power surge. It also gives me enough time to close a position and shut down my systems if needed. I also have a much smaller 500VA UPS for the Verizon ONT that's on the side of my house. If all else fails, I have the TradeStation app (my broker) on my phone that will let me bail out of a position if I need to. I have yet to experience any problems with power/ISP issues.

I also have a gas powered backup generator, but that's for prolonged power outages and day trading would not be a priority if I am running on that :)

I use a CyberPower UPS for the main computer, and have a separate UPS for the router. Haven't had any problems with either until just a couple of days ago where the main UPS just shut down for no apparent reason. Luckily I was i sim mode.

Couldn't get the CyberPower UPS fixed, so bought an APC, 1500 VA I believe. No problems so far.

The only drawback to UPSs in general is that you have to replace the battery every 2-3 years. Can be expensive. Also have to dispose of the older battery (I think BestBuy takes them). I've read on Youtube that some traders just invest in a really, really good surge protector and don't worry about an UPS. Don't know if I like that idea or not since the surge protector won't provide any run power.

William L