Sign in to follow this  
Abiel

Membrane Keyboard vs Mechanical Keyboard

Personally I prefer a mechanical keyboard for all my computing--including trading. There's nothing like the feedback and clack of pressing a key. They have made a comeback recently and are popular among gamers. For some, customizing and collecting mechanical keyboards has become an addiction (really).

For good info on different brands, layouts, and switches check out r/mechanicalkeyboards on Reddit.

Definitely. Since they are geared towards gaming, mechanical keyboards can offer more customization options such as macros, extra keys, lighting, etc. If you don't care much for the "bling factor" of mechanicals, Ryan W posted a great Macro solution here.

If you will be using the keyboard for a lot of typing (word processing, e-mails, etc.), I suggest you test out the different switches before buying. Cherry makes green, red, black, brown, and blue switches just to name a few. Each color has a different feel and noise based on the key travel and actuation characteristics.

If you are unable to test at a retail store, this little Cherry MX Switch Tester sells for $16 and can help you decide before buying.

+1 for mechanical keyboard, you get an actual 'click' feeling so you know the input has gone through, depending on the type of switch your mechanical keys are of course...they're are many.