Rob C

Rob C's Trading Journal - starting Feb 1 2019

Wednesday 02/26/2020

I had a well-being score of 6/10 this morning.

I took 3 live trades this morning with MRNA and GILD.

My watchlist: AMD, GILD, MRNA, BABA, ZM, and DIS.

I liked DIS and MRNA in the PM. Because of that I happen to have DIS on my montage when MRNA passed my long trigger point of 27.35. I quickly switched MRNA to my montage and went long, only to be filled a dollar above my trigger. But the price did move higher still, so I stayed in the trade. The price did actually reach my target (HOPM) I did get some partials in but kept 25% for the open, but had an autostop at B/E. I was stopped out very quickly after the open for a small win.

image.png.14016342e6cec977e3c55ad1bb78c578.png

GILD made a nice opening hammer with good volume and had a L2 signal. I went long with a tight stop of VWAP with HOPM as the target.

What GILD looked like when I took the trade (note the ask at 71.50):

image.png.66ee2c65c6480262523517c5068c1359.png

I took a quick partial than set an autostop for B/E which it was touched and filled and bounced and went higher. L2 looked even better so I went long again and the price instantly dropped and I was stopped out to the penny before the price spent the next 4 minutes going higher and reaching my target.

image.png.3f8fda292526062b289dbfa4987a4b0b.png

What did I do good today? Good risk management. I kept to a small red day.

What I am grateful from today? Three lousy trades and only being down -1/3R for the day.

I will be unable to trade tomorrow, and possibly unable on Friday as well. So today could be the last day of the month for me. I haven't looked at my total P/L for the month yet. First time I will have looked in 3 months. I did give myself permission to look at the end of this month and at the end of each session. (That was off limits the previous 2 months). It definitely feels like a record month for me and I will be able to analyze my trades again so I will post a monthly recap.

If I don't trade again this month I wish everyone a good finish to February!!

• Like 1

Monday 03/02/2020

I had a well-being score of 5/10 this morning. A bit under the weather.

I took 3 live trades this morning with CCL, AAPL and AMD.

My watchlist: AMD, AAPL, JD, TSLA, TWTR, and CCL.

CCL was forming a nice ABCD in PM with resistance level at 32.33. The price broke with a L2 signal and I went long with $33 as my target and a tight stop at 32.20. After 5 minutes I took a partial then 2 minutes later the volume completely stopped and I was spooked out of the trade. I should have just reduced my share size instead. I did miss the pop to almost my target, but Ok with the trade. I need to be cautious in the PM.

image.png.d4258dc77c3e7274a34d2dc82c3e1b0b.png

AAPL was being squeezed right before the open near a daily level. I went long, with a small share size, when it bounce from the support. The plan was to buy more at the break of the resistance level around 282. It broke that level and I instinctively took a partial. Then I gathered my senses and added in. Target was the HOPM (orange dash line) with a stop at 281.50.

Right before the open I took a partial just incase the price dropped at the open. The price popped up and I took a large partial what I though was near the $284 and thought I was done for the day. Then saw my fill was over a dollar lower. Then I exited, luckily at B/E, due to wild price variations.

image.png.ebbcd4a18885fc1c3fd77ae273a67485.png

AMD made a nice hammer on large volume at the open. I went long at the break of the 47.34 daily level. I took a partial at the 47.50 PM level and then another partial at the candle high. Then set my stop at B/E where I exited with a little slippage. Very soon after it looked like a good short, but I was already at my 3 trade max.

image.png.370698ca9e61726a7caf6f4cc1de6579.png

What did I do good today? Good risk management. I took risky trades but was very cautious with them.

What I am grateful from today? Though my three winners were all small they added up to an OK day.

Updated my DAS platform. I like how they showed their order like Etrade Pro does with a line at the price. Before I would get an open triangle not remotely near the order price.

• Like 2

Tuesday 03/03/2020

I had a well-being score of 6/10 this morning. Still a bit under the weather.

I took 3 live trades this morning with AAPL and AMD.

My watchlist: AMD, AAPL, TGT, TSLA, AAL, and DIS.

I felt like I traded the same as yesterday. I took a PM trarde where I exited just before it popped. Then took two trades at the open where I got one partial then S/O at B/E.

AAPL was consilidating in PM after a nice white candle. I was waiting for the break of 301.50, but a L2 signal triggered the entrance before then. My target was 304 with a stop of 301. I took two partials and the price was consolidating. And just like yesterday I was spooked out before the pop to my target.

After the open AAPL dropped 1% on strong volume but found good support. When the price rose and broke all of the 5 tech levels I went long. My target was 305 and stop of 301.  I got one partial in and then out at B/E.

image.png.f0203e7903290daad32c54d29a4c9888.png

AMD seemed to be respcted VWAP right from the open creating a support level. It looked like the price was stepping higher. I went long at the break of HOPM. My target was $50 with VWAP as my stop. But the daily level at 49.44 was in the way so I knew I better take a quick partial. My first partial was filled at B/E. My seconds try and a partial was filled fine. Then I set an auto stop at B/E. The fill had a enough slide that this trade was slightly in the red.

image.png.e713cecb0517ce84f75518d4bc4de1d7.png

What did I do good today? Good risk management. Which is important since I am taking risky trades.

What I am grateful from today? Even with two failing trades and one that worked but I bailed too early I am still green for the day.

Edited by Rob C
  • Like 2

Wednesday 03/04/2020

I had a well-being score of 7/10 this morning. Feeling better.

I took 1 live trade this morning with AAPL.

My watchlist: AMD, AAPL, NVDA, TSLA, UNH, and JD.

AAPL was really respecting a 296.79 level as it traveled alomg VWAP for awhile in PM. The plan was to go long on the break of the level which occurred 2 minutes before the open. I got a terrible fill but I used a small share size waiting if I could get a better entry and I did for the rest of my shares. My target was the HOPM with the 50MA-1min as my stop.

Soon after the open volume hit and a mild pop where I took a partial. Then a large ask sat at $298. Instead of waiting for the price to reach it and punch through I took another partial when the large ask became the current ask. I don’t think I have done that before at the open. Some times on my swing trades I will do that so I am not sure what I was thinking. Then the price broke through and reached my target where I did get a partial. Then luckily I got a good fill at B/E when I exited.

image.png.f1a2910386f18497da9b232f78485b8d.png

What did I do good today? Good use of levels.

What I am grateful from today? Good L2 signal.

• Like 1

Thursday 03/05/2020

I had a well-being score of 7/10 this morning.

I took 1 live trade this morning with MRVL.

My watchlist: AMD, AAPL, MRVL, TSLA, CCL, and VIPS.

MRVL was one of the very few stocks that gapped higher this morning. There was a level at 24.23 that was causing some resistance. I was waiting for the break of this level but L2 looked too good and there was a nice hammer on the 5min. So I took half my shares at 24.20.

When I went long:

image.png.9c22e60f0ab40633ec5a1c4037d09ce2.png

When the price broke through resistance I went long with the rest of my shares. Horrible fill, but expected for premarket. My target was $25 with 24.16 as my stop. As usual I took way too many partials. Price reached my target so I can’t ask for more. Out when it broke VWAP.

image.png.61ba5234435e1273156cdad277f3920d.png

What did I do good today? Good use of L2.

What I am grateful from today? We had something gapping up today.

• Like 1

Friday 03/06/2020

I took 1 live trade this morning with AMD.

My watchlist: AMD, AAPL, MRVL, TSLA, CCL, and VIPS.

AMD was one of the very few stocks that was green in PM. The price was holding between $50MA-1min and $49.15 for a few minutes in PM. Every candle was bullish looking. I was waiting for the break of 49.15 to go long. Then a really strong hammer was formed with good volume. Then a L2 signal appeared. Not big but enough to enter the trade since it would get me past VWAP. My target was 49.73 with a stop below the 50MA-1min.

When I went long:

image.png.b3c984851c08b8b2c9f327b71d3126b3.png

The price broke the 49.15 and kept moving up and reached my target. I held onto a few shares just before the open to see if it would move higher. Then hangman formation was forming, so I did not want to hold into the open and exited a few seconds before.

image.png.fcaf2754d1ab3fa7145ce16606a67557.png

What did I do good today? Good use of L2.

What I am grateful from today? Green every day this week!!!  I can’t remember the last time that happen.

• Like 2

Monday 03/9/2020

I took 1 live trade this morning with NIO and 1 SIM trade with BAC.

My watchlist: AMD, AAPL, INO, TSLA, BAC, and TWTR.

Well before the open NIO was actually getting strong volume. Price made a nice hammer then a 100K ask hit L2 at 16.90 and I went long. I did take a partial, then at $16.80 the big ask disappeared without being filled. By rule I need to exit the trade, which I did. Almost instantly the price moved higher. I don’t know if I would have caught most of the move, but this messed up my psychology. 10 min before the open, still not feeling sharp,  I switch to SIM. Today I needed to be 100%. So made a small profit on NIO.

image.png.e6ffdd43404909e6612e987fc2ea1324.png

My one SIM trade was with BAC. The price was holding to LOPM. Good volume at the open and I was waiting for the break of LOPM to go short. The price did break this level and I went short. My stop was not tight with 20MA-1min and VWAP. I had no decent target. The price dropped steadily after the open and I took partials and got spooked out quickly on the trade.

image.png.83d2abfc08b1b86cc8cf8b00f82e3d5a.png

What did I do good today? Didn’t trade live after the open.

What I am grateful from today? I wasn’t trading when the market halted. Was green for the day.

• Like 2

Tuesday 03/10/2020

I had a well-being score of 5/10 this morning. Didn’t feel myself today. SIM today

I took 1 SIM with BAC.

My watchlist: AMD, AAPL, BAC, TSLA, CCL, and DKS.

I took a small PM long trade on BAC on a L2 signal and a break of VWAP. It didn’t go anywhere, but the good news it turned off my long bias on BAC. Opened on OK volume and weak the first 2min. Then a pullback to VWAP. When it broke the body of the 2min candle I shorted. My stop was VWAP, but the only target I saw was 200MA-5min, but that was a R/R of 12 which is too big to be reasonable.

I took too many partials then finally got a little stingy to hold to target. Price actually reached my target, then I exited when it look like it was reversing.

image.thumb.png.f221d940b5d8b3f9e4f30071a872467d.png

What did I do good today? At least I held on to some shares for the target.

What I am grateful from today? Shorted a stock. Even in SIM it has been unusual in the passed few weeks.

• Like 2

Wednesday 03/11/2020

I took 3 live trades with AAPL.

My watchlist: AMD, AAPL, BAC, TSLA, CCL, and DXC.

I took a small PM position on AAPL since it looked like it was breaking and holding 200MA-1min and holding VWAP. My stop was 50MA-1min with a traget at the 278.90 level. After the open the price bounced from the 277 level and I added to my position. I was able to take two partials before the price retraced and I was stopped out at B/E. The price recovered and broke the 200MA-1min again and I went long again. I was also able to take 2 partials before being S/O at B/E. Then a nice hammer was made an a break of the 278.90 level. I went long again, I took one partial then was stopped out at B/E. Then I was at my 3 trade limit and called it a day.

image.png.8614187c6112ba5fffca03240ca7bf85.png

What did I do good today? Not much hesitation today.

What I am grateful from today? Good fills on my S/O, not much slippage.

• Like 3

Thursday 03/12/2020

I took 1 live trades with BAC.

My watchlist: AMD, AAPL, BAC, TSLA, CCL, and AAL.

I was a little reckless today with the market halt. I traded before and got locked in a trade and even traded it right after. It was my biggest win of the month but not feeling good about it.

BAC was down like the rest of the market, but has been trading well lately. BAC opened with big volume, even for this stock. Created a nice bullish candle and I went long above VWAP. I got a terrible fill, but I was only half shares so I waited to see if I could get a better entry. The price dropped and I took the rest of my shares just above VWAP. Target was 21.59 with VWAP as the stop.

Yep, I should have exited the trade when it looked like a halt was very likely. Or at least take a partial. But I was halted. During the wait, I decided if the price still above VWAP after the halt, continue with the trade. If the price is below the 50MA, then stop out. If the price is below the VWAP and heads below the PM level of 20.44 then flip position. If the price resumes between the 50MA and PM level and is heading higher then add. So after the halt the price ended up in the last scenerio, where I added to my position. I got an amazing fill. But looking back this was a bit reckless for a day when the stock market is acting crazy.

The next 3 minutes the 1min chart was squeezing into a pendant so I was waiting to see which way it would move. It went to the long side. I was actually reasonably patient before the first partial, then took a few more catching the high. Then exited on a 1min low. Luckily exited just before the spike down.

image.png.11b9ad39330404899a19558069fa2132.png

What did I do good today? I was patient with my first partial.

What I am grateful from today? Great fill on my second add. 

• Like 2

Friday 03/13/2020

I took 2 live trades with BAC and AAL.

My watchlist: AMD, AAPL, BAC, TSLA, CCL, and AAL.

I can’t remember when my watchlist has been the same two days in a row.

A bit disappointed with my discipline again.

BAC opened well but not enough volume. Then a L2 signal hit and I went long with a tight stop (if my main signal is L2, I usually have a really tight stop) at the HOPM. My target was 22.85. The big ask was bought soon after and the price was moving and I took 2 partials then set my stop at B/E. Then I noticed how few shares I had. That is when I realized I inadvertantly chose the 22.27 level as my stop and took only ¼ the number of shares. So instead of just letting it go to a learning experience, I added to my position. Not a terrible spot but not a good one either. Then added again. So when I finally stopped out I took a full -1R loss. Yep made a winner into a loser.

image.png.ed7c5c507310243aead56b9079c261a2.png

I actually took a 5min ORB. It has been awhile. AAL opened weak with good volume. At 5min I waited for the break of the 200MA-1min and the 50MA-5min and went short. PDC was my target with 14.70 as my stop (which was just above 200MA and previous candle). My second partial was a hotkey mistake that I recovered without an impact. When the price rose back above HOPM I exited.

image.png.d2ee3de6f63550f83c435ed31cef8b30.png

What did I do good today? I took a 5min ORB, it had been awhile.

What I am grateful from today? I was lucky again today, I was undisciplined.

• Like 2

Monday 03/16/2020

I had a well-being score of 6.5/10 this morning.

I took 1 live trade with CCL.

My watchlist: AMD, AAPL, BAC, MRNA, CCL, and AAL.

I wasn’t planning on taking a trade since we all knew there would be a halt and I like to trade at the open. After the halt CCL looked strong. It was breaking the VWAP and the curent 5min candle was about to engulf the previous one. When the price broke $15 I went long with 200MA-5min as the target and VWAP as my stop. I am not use to small 15c stops like this so I was my nervous self and took too many partials. Then the stock got halted while I had 25% shares left. Luckily the price was higher after the halt and I took another partial. Then 2min later I took another partial when it reached my target. Then I held on for 10 more minutes and exited when the price broke below the 20MA-1min.

image.thumb.png.ec9cfa2f0b69b84a57e215cff9673be1.png

What did I do good today? I took a trade in a time frame I usually don’t.

What I am grateful from todayToday was a bit of a milestone. I opened my Centerpoint account (from CMEG) 8 months ago. Today, for the first time my equity is larger than it was when I opened the account. So all the commissions, DAS and data fees, and losses are all paid for. 😀

• Like 2

That is a nice milestone, congratulations. I can't wait until I get back there. I think it will take me longer. My first month drawdown was very large.

Now just keep protecting that equity and expand it when the markets makes it available! Nice Work.

• Thanks 1

If you don’t have a mountain to climb, find one.