Sign in to follow this  
Ryan W

Favorite Moving Averages

Hi Everybody! I wanted to create a post to talk about everybody's preferred moving averages and any strategies you like to use that encompasses them.

Here are my moving averages:

Daily: 50, 100, 200 SMA. 4, 9, 20, 50, 200 EMA,

5-Minute: 4, 8, 15, 20, 50, 200 EMA.

2-Minute: 4, 8, 20, 50, 200 EMA.

1-Minute: 4, 8, 20, 50, 200 EMA.

I have the VWAP on all time frames (except daily of course).

I like to use the 4/8 EMA on the 5-minute for entries/pullbacks and possible exits. I watch level 2 to see if there are orders stacked on the ask or bid around these EMA's.

I also use the 4/8 EMA cross on the 1-minute chart in conjunction with a trend change on the 5-minute chart. I have an indicator that will plot a signal on my chart when the 4/8 cross each other (from below or above) and whether it has volume or not. When I see this, I reference the 5 and 2-minute charts to see what the trend is doing and if any patterns are forming. I also look at level 2 and time and sales to see if we are getting some momentum.

Let me know what you guys like to use!

I just have exactly the same moving average lines as Andrew's. 9 EMA, 20 EMA, 50 SMA, 200 SMA, VWAP and previous close on EVERY CHART. I have 3 charts with my montage: 1min, 5min and daily.