Sign in to follow this  
wpicotte

Hotkey Question

This isn't a tip or trick, but a question about a hotkey issue I'm experiencing.

I reconfigured the 'select montage' hotkey included in Andrew's file because I'm on a Mac, and the keyboard does not include an 'end' key.

I've tried three configurations - the first was "\", the second "shift+\", and third the "home" button.

Regardless of configuration, the hotkey works in the main DAS window but not in additional windows created for my secondary monitors. In those, if I have a chart in focus and hit the montage hotkey, nothing happens. At first, I thought this was a configuration problem, which is why I changed them up, but have since realized that unless I'm in the main window, the hotkey simply doesn't work.

Any pointers here?

Thanks - Wesley

This appears to be a limitation with DAS. Here are my observations with the SwitchTWnd hotkey:

1. With two "stations" (i,e, Montage+Charts+Time/Sales) open inside the main DAS window. If I hit the hotkey, it always jumps to the first station. So if I select a chart in the 2nd station and hit END, it jumps to the first station's montage. Not what is expected or desired.

2. Station on another monitor or floating outside of DAS main window, i.e. Pop Out. The hotkey doesn't do anything at all. This is the same behaviour that you are observing.

What I've done in my DAS Layout is enabled the setting so that the Montage is automatically selected when I switch or select a symbol in the Market Viewer. Do this by right-clicking the Market Viewer (Watch List), Config, and check off these two boxes.

Auto-select Montage

So almost always, the relevant Montage is pre-selected.

That's my current configuration, too, and it functions as you've described. I spoke with DAS support but they do not support DAS on CrossOver, so no luck there.

The limitation seems to be that the main DAS window will not expand across monitors (at least, not on Mac, don't know about PC). Hence, as you've pointed out, I'm using pop-up windows and this particular hotkey will not apply to them.

The main DAS window can expand across multiple monitors on PC. Even if it did work on Mac, the hotkey seems to be broken since it doesn't respect which montage is linked to the chart. It keeps jumping to the same montage regardless.

Can you test out what I did in #1 above and see if it's the same for you?

Hi Robert -- my config is the same as yours ('switch symbol by select' and 'left click link to montage' are both selected) and indeed when I click a symbol in the market viewer, the montage associated to it becomes active. This seems to be the fastest way after a hotkey to ensure trading commands are applied to the correct stock, just have to become accustomed to the process.

Wesley, I mean try putting two stations inside the main DAS window. Does the hotkey respect which Montage you are actually trying to select? For me it's fundamentally broken.

1. With two “stations” (i,e, Montage+Charts+Time/Sales) open inside the main DAS window. If I hit the hotkey, it always jumps to the first station. So if I select a chart in the 2nd station and hit END, it jumps to the first station’s montage. Not what is expected or desired.

My main window is configured differently, but I added a new montage, market viewer and chart to test this out. With the new chart active, the new montage is made active by the hotkey. If afterwards I select a pre-existing chart that's associated to the original montage, the new montage is again selected by the the hotkey. If I use the hotkey again, the original montage is selected. As I continue using the hotkey, DAS cycles through the montage windows on my secondary monitors. Once I've gotten to the last one (of five), the hotkey stops working (i.e. it no longer cycles through open montage windows).

So, in short, the hotkey doesn't function as expected (on Mac OS, at least).

Yup, the hotkey seems to be broken when using multiple Montages, both Windows and Mac. Thanks for confirming.