Robert H

How to Increase Y-Axis Scale to See More Price Levels

Have you ever exited a trade too early because you didn't see a price level just beyond the horizon? Do you find yourself zooming out constantly, or switching to hourly/daily charts to identify upcoming price levels? Well, you can increase the Y-axis margins to allow for a larger vertical range to fit on the chart. Here's an example.

The default margin setting in DAS is 10%. This gives a pretty good scale in most cases. Here the price of GCAP is hitting 8.94, with the bottom margin at 8.85.

10% Margin

This is the same chart with the margin set to 40%. Another price level down at 8.65 becomes visible! Also note that you can now see VWAP at the top, which was out of view in the above chart.

40% Margin

To adjust the margin:

Right click the chart area

Click Configure

In the Margins settings on the right hand side, change the value for Price axis top bottom margin

Configure Margins

Please note that your candlesticks will become slightly shorter to fit the new y-axis scaling. I've tested different values and found 30% to be a good setting for me. Play around and see what works best in your DAS layout.

• Like 2

Great post! I was just thinking about this today. I exited my position and, what-do-you-know, there was a moving avg right above me that I missed. I'll change my margins before tomorrow!

I remember this happened to Andrew once during a trade, so I set out to find a solution! I hope that these tips and tricks are helping other members. Thanks for reading!

That's the default colour background for HorizontalLines in DAS (price levels you add manually). If yours is a different colour, you can change this by:

Add a HorizontalLine (if none exist on the chart)

Right-click the line, select Config

Choose Background color

Robert, Thxs for posting this! I was figuring out why my charts were not showing fully.

Question for you, how do you set up the daily level lines (highs & lows) on the chart? dotted orange lines

Thxs

JP

Question for you, how do you set up the daily level lines (highs & lows) on the chart? dotted orange lines

Those are just regular the price levels (HorizontalLines) we add every morning while building the watch list.

Great tip. Do you think it would be possible to configure a Hotkey to change quickly, say, from 10% to 40% and viceversa?

2 hours ago, keen246 said:

Great tip. Do you think it would be possible to configure a Hotkey to change quickly, say, from 10% to 40% and viceversa?

I highly doubt it. You can try asking [email protected]

Hi,

Just to add onto this, from my understanding, checking the 'Price axis top bottom margin' box will give a fixed % margin, which, although will increase the likelihood of seeing more price levels, it may not contain all moving averages. To ensure moving averages are seen, you can go to Study Config - ConfigEx (for a given study), and check the Include in scale box. Beware however, if the averages for which this box is checked are significantly far from the candlesticks, then candlesticks can become massively compressed in the chart view, (as Robert H mentioned) impeding further analysis. 

image.thumb.png.b7d567bb41d9cc35897565bcf4e085d0.png

Please correct me if I'm wrong or you see DAS behaving differently.

59 minutes ago, Sukh said:

To ensure moving averages are seen, you can go to Study Config - ConfigEx (for a given study), and check the Include in scale box.

In Class 1, we actually advise users to uncheck this box for all studies except Price (Candle). The reason being what you mentioned: the chart will be compressed more often than not.

• Like 1

Ah OK, thanks Robert - still working my way through the volume of material on the site.

Great Tip Robert, I just started using the DAS Simulator and this forum has a wealth of great tips.  Thanks