bcochran0

Computer setup from scratch

So all I have currently is my work laptop, but as I read Andrew's book and start watching videos and gaining more knowledge on this site, that doesn't come close to cutting it!

My question is, do y'all have a setup you recommend? I'm not looking to spend a ton, but I assume a desktop with 8gb+ of RAM and a good SSD is probably needed? Four monitors seems to be the norm, no problem there. Do you build, or buy a Dell/HP or something more catered towards gaming (only because they usually have better RAM/SSD, etc)?

I appreciate any input! Thanks.

I built a machine that will last and I can flip easily to gamers. 

1. 3900 Ryzen 9 XT
  2. 64 Gb RAM
  3. 500gb Samsung pro 980 nvme
  4. Corsair 95xt platinum keyboard. 
  5. Radeon 8gb video card, lower end but good for our purposes 
  6. Gigabyte Auros WiFi Elite mb, would not recommend Gigabyte 
  7. 4 monitors, 3 @ 32", no 4k

This is strictly for trading (don’t play video games often).I was looking at building or pre-built office computers. Is 64gb of RAM necessary? I thought 16 was a lot, hah! At any rate, thanks for the information.

6 hours ago, bcochran0 said:

This is strictly for trading (don’t play video games often).I was looking at building or pre-built office computers. Is 64gb of RAM necessary? I thought 16 was a lot, hah! At any rate, thanks for the information.

I don't game either and this is strictly for trading.  But if I decided this wasn't for me, it's going to be easier to sell a computer that appeals to a gamer.

For RAM, it depends what you want to do.  If you run a lot of  trading apps and VMs, you can chew it up...