ryan_pdt

IB (Interactive Brokers) - Margin Requirement checker

Hey Guys,

I had an issue with my $ARRY trade yesterday wherein DAS says it's 25% marginable SHORT and or LONG, which means I can use 4:1 buying power. But When I entered the trade, my order failed and it did not let me use my Buying Power. 
I am now few seconds late to my trade so I missed the great downward move (SHORT) and chased the stock without using my Buying Power. This happened to me with $UBER and some stocks that also requires 100% margin. 

I found this IB website that you can use to check what's the margin percentage requirement of a stock.

https://contract.ibkr.info

I hope you find this useful. 

Cheers,
Ryan (ryan_pdt)

@Robert H and @PeterD. I know you guys are using IB too. 

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing the link, Ryan!

I ran into a similar scenario attempting to short MLNT today. DAS Pro showed the equity as "Marginable by default". The margin order I placed was rejected due to IB showing the stock as non-marginable. (E.g. I didn't meet the initial margin requirement of 100% trade value in my IB acct.)

Wondering if anyone has run into this issue before and is there a way, within DAS, to get a more accurate view of IB's margin requirements on any given stock?

The website you shared, Ryan, is helpful, but not a quick-to-execute option.

Yes, some of the IB users had experienced this. So it's a habit of mine now to open TWS platform to check the margin rate of a stock.