Sign in to follow this  
wpicotte

Trade Ideas, or No?

As you may have heard, the monthly cost on Trade Ideas goes up on Feb 15 by something like 20%. Meanwhile, I'm one month into simulated trading and get the majority of my watchlist from the chat room. Nonetheless, I still contemplate subscribing to TI while the monthly cost is sub-$100. The benefit for doing so is long-term, and that's only a theoretical benefit at this point, but in the short-term it would be nice to have access to my own scans.

I don't see building a pre-market watchlist from it, per se, in place of what we get in chat, but scans that apply to late morning and on could be valid. I don't need to do my trading early -- I'm at my desk all day anyway, working from a home office, and have been practicing the act of monitoring stocks throughout the day.

Thoughts? Dumb idea? Give it to me.

I went through the same dilemma at the start at the end of last year. I was going live in January, TI was running a promo for a full year for $600, that was $200 off their annual fee. So I pulled the trigger. I personally like to have my own scanner for various reasons, I want to be fully dependent on my own in this career so let's say Andrew hits the Mega Millions and stops trading lol, I can depend on my set up for trading not dependent on that chatroom. Also at least once or twice a month I don't log on to the chat and do trading on my own. I can also put it in a place that is better visible to my main screen and then being confined to where the chatroom window is located.

If you are still in simulator I would not pull the trigger as I didn't neither, but if you are live or when you do go live I personally would recommend it. Sucks to pay the higher price later but if you are still not sure about trading long term, hold off. Once you are sure this is for you just pay the yearly fee, if is in your budget, this way you don't have to worry about it every month and you are able to save some dollars with the yearly plan. Then just trade our good buddy XNET to pay for it!

One more thing, If you do decide to get it, give them a call and see if they will work with you on a yearly subscription deal, ask them if they can match the promotion you missed end of the year. Tell them you were not sure about signing up since you were still in training. Hey, you never know.

Carlos.

Carlos, thanks for the reply and sorry to be so slow to respond! I basically came to a similar conclusion about the value of the subscription in the short term. I'm still in a Sim account and likely will extend this past the three-month window before taking the big step of going live. In the here and now, there are so many higher-priority things to worry about but in the long term the independence of my own subscription may be the right move.

Cheers,

Wesley