Mark D.

1000 sim trades

hello bear bull traders!

first off i wanted to say thank you to Andrew, Brian, the moderators, and all of the amazing members of this community. without all of you i would not have got as far as i have in my trading and I feel very fortunate to live in a time where i can have mentors that i never speak to but learn from watching the youtube videos and hanging around in the chatroom. 

i wanted to share my results from one year in the SIM training. My journal and excel files where i store all my trades can be found here at this one drive link: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Av0RVn6INi5egsVc5myfWu_4FeDg0g  this link has all my journal entries, risk settings, hotkeys, basically all the trading information i've gathered so far. feel free to use any of it and message me if you have any questions. I read Andrew's first book about 15 months ago i was determined to at least try and make day trading a viable business for me. i spent the first three months just watching the chatroom and then started in sim right around the beginning of 2018. 12 months of simulator is a lot for some people but i trade at my job most days of the week so some days i'm distracted and some days i can't trade at all. it's been a long road but i've been having fun even with the low points. it took me about six months to start having an increasing equity curve:

image.thumb.png.7922d00b5aeb1b74449d8def345290ce.png

you'll notice that one trade really killed me. i lost almost $3,000 in one trade! that coupled with another big loser was my turning point. i knew i needed to start taking the practice more serious and start using risk controls because i am prone to letting my losers run on me. i still ended the year down about $2,300. In December i started taking sim trades of only 100 shares and then towards the end of the month i was only taking one live trade a day so as to not break the PDT rule. i got bored of trading in sim and wanted to start trading real money. 

image.png.2b4b68e5f218d92e47c7b6e776a131ca.png

image.png.4c5bb40046b8c715f98b235a53f9b10d.png

i finally got my account fully funded so i've started 2019 taking all live trades. i'm already seeing how much harder it is than sim trading but i'm going to keep at it. i'm planning on starting another post of my live trades in the daily recaps as part of my new years resolution to be a more active member. 

thank you all again and happy trading in 2019! 

Edited by Mark D.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Mark this is awesome that you are offering all this to us. I will definitely use it. I'm assuming live trading started 1st of January? How is everything going so far.

Mark,

This is fantastic! I myself was somewhat similar for my first 3 months of sim (traded close to everyday) with a downward equity trend. However, around mid month four I have gone green fairly consistently (4-5 days a week) and have just now changed my equity in sim to match what I will start live with in Feb and the curve is still going in the positive direction so I know I found something that works. Love the feedback! Hope you continue your success live as you have shown here! One of the biggest turning points for me was the share size calculator hot keys. I put those on recently and I have seen a MAJOR difference in my trading.

14 hours ago, Jramosent said:

Mark this is awesome that you are offering all this to us. I will definitely use it. I'm assuming live trading started 1st of January? How is everything going so far.

thanks! rough start for me so far, learning really quick that my emotions are worse with real money. i'm down about $60 for the year including fees. it's tough trading 100 shares/trade the commissions really get you. i was just doing my weekly review and seeing that i was not on my game this week. it's just another step in the learning process.

just a heads up the pivot tables on the excel file that show winning % by trade type need some work. i'll provide an updated file if i can ever get it to work right. 

2 hours ago, alarson9024 said:

Mark,

This is fantastic! I myself was somewhat similar for my first 3 months of sim (traded close to everyday) with a downward equity trend. However, around mid month four I have gone green fairly consistently (4-5 days a week) and have just now changed my equity in sim to match what I will start live with in Feb and the curve is still going in the positive direction so I know I found something that works. Love the feedback! Hope you continue your success live as you have shown here! One of the biggest turning points for me was the share size calculator hot keys. I put those on recently and I have seen a MAJOR difference in my trading.

that is awesome, i agree the hotkeys share calc was a huge help to me too especially on ORBs. thank you! hope you have a successful year trading as well 

Thanks for sharing Mark. Great Journaling. I will draw some points from your journaling to reflect on my trading.