Dhat

IB Trader Workstation Day Trading Setup

On 8/3/2019 at 2:03 PM, CassA said:

SirPatrick, I have a similar issue with the charts not showing certain stocks.  CGC for example doesn't show up on my 1-min or 5-min charts.  Chart->Refresh usually updates the window.   I just don't trade those.   My computer runs everything fine, and doesn't crash besides for TWS and that only within the past week or so (before that is was 100% stable).  I upgraded to 16GB of ram, and instead of spiking to 4GB, it now spikes to 8GB and freezes.  I am trying the "Show more than 500 bars" option as unchecked.  It seems like when I go to Daily/Weekly zoomed out to find support/resistance levels, and then switch back to 5-min and scroll to the current day is when TWS hangs. 

BrianS, my setup is one L2 and 13 chart windows of various time frames and groups.  1 order entry, 1 watchlist, 1 trades, 1 orders, 1 t&s, and 1 portfolio window.  I don't see it as really excessive. 

Thanks for the feedback.

I haven't actually been using the charts in TWS. They are too clunky and difficult to use in my opinion. I have an account on TradingView and use their charts as they are so much easier to use. I just watch them and buy/sell in TWS when I see a trade I want.

On 11/20/2018 at 5:00 AM, Will S said:

The only way I know to close partial positions is by using this function called "Reverse Position". You have no way of setting it as a specific type of order (market, limit, etc), so I'm not really sure what it uses. But you are able to set a specific percentage of position that you want to close. For example;

50 - close all

25 - close 50%

12.5 - close 25%

Yes I have no idea why, but it works like that. Try and see if it differs from mine.

Perhaps there is a better way to do this?

does it work for you with a hotkey? for me i always get a screen with a form to submit which is non-sense

On 8/12/2018 at 6:16 AM, Dhat said:

Guys,

I have been practising in DAS Trader Pro (paper trading) for over 6 months. I am now confident enough to start using real money, but my margins are small, so $150 per month would put a bit of a dent into my earnings. I have setup IB Trader Workstation to be almost identical to my DAS Trader Pro setup. I just have a few questions:

1. Has anyone/is anyone currently using the platform and have any tips on the pros/cons of it?
  2. Can you setup the charts to have the daily open and close prices (same as DAS Trader)?
  3. I've transferred money, more than enough to cover my level 2 subscription costs, but the subscription hasn't been activated yet...not sure why?

Any info is much appreciated.

Trading Setup.png

Hi my freind

I am new here , I just finished andrew day trading course and now I want to start paper trading. at the moment i cant afford paying 100 USD montly for DAS paper trading , so I want to do it through TWS. Would  it be possible for you to help me make my screens in TWS ?

Thanks

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot @peterB for proposing to share.

🙏 Please keep sharing on this thread (not by private mails please), I'm also interesting in the topic 😉.

Hey guys. I am trying to find out, if its possible to realize a "Equalized Risk Per Trade" Button / Hotkey in the TWS?
That would be so amazing!

Thanks in advance

the best approach to achieve that is tu use a given amount (not the numbers of shares) to open a position and use a % for the stoploss .... that is the only way that I managed to achieve that .... ex : set preset > amount to 5.000USD positions (TWS will calc how many shares it will buy or sell) and then set a 1% stoploss for 50USD risk

this have a huge bug ! if the amount you use cannot be bought or sold short for 100 sh or more .... TWS will do 100 share lot !! for example setting up 1.000usd with a bigger stock (said TSLA) you wont get a nice result .... instead of around 30 shares, you will end up getting 100 shares (around 3000 usd) .... contacted TWS support and they have NO solition nor idea how to resolve that bug

check this link for more information about my TWS setup (dark and white themes) + hotkeys :

https://forums.bearbulltraders.com/topic/1144-interactive-broker-tws-setups-and-hotkeys/

Yes it will show right away in TWS or the mobile app. But if you trade in TWS it will mess up everything in DAS in regard to your positions and PNL, until the next day. Just FYI on that 🙂

Jason

23 minutes ago, RTrader said:

Yes it will show right away in TWS or the mobile app. But if you trade in TWS it will mess up everything in DAS in regard to your positions and PNL, until the next day. Just FYI on that 🙂

Jason

Thx