Dhat

IB Trader Workstation Day Trading Setup

Hi peterB,

My disclaimer is that everyone try out different platforms to see what ultimately works or doesn't work for them.

My personal experience between DAS and TWS is that TWS sometimes takes a few seconds to update charts and related windows when switching between instruments.  (Note: Before someone asks, I have a 3.2GHz quad core processor with 8GB of ram, not the best, and not the worse.)  The TWS charts do not update as fast as DAS charts.  Overall, the DAS platform is "more responsive".   I liken it to using the same  iPhone for 5 years.  At first, it is responsive, but then you find yourself waiting after tapping.  I could but won't comment on the "technical" side of why this might be as that would be speculation.

i can confirm the behavior when switching between stocks. It does same to me and also get quite often market data disconnections.

Hi guys ! shared my setup, layout and hotkeys configuration here ! bock in dark theme and andrew's theme red over white !

Edited by aurbano
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2018 at 4:36 PM, peterB said:

that is right

it can not be done

this is closing 50% of all portfolio (green) so not usefull for daytrading.

but i did not know that when i was printing the sticker so i kept it there 🙂

There are two options that I have been exploring. Option one is "Close Portion of Positions" hotkey. Downsides of this is that it isn't instantaneous, as a window pops up that you have to click through (let's you set your %, +/- price, etc.), it's not super fast, and it will do this for ALL of your open positions (long or short, unless you change to just long or just short).

closer.thumb.PNG.f86d50e4d97d9dd86c82b7e790a4ba1d.PNG

The other option would be to utilize separate Buy / Sell hotkeys with a known QTY of shares which are equivalent percentages of what you typically buy (e.g. typically buy 100 shares, so have a hotkey for a sell of 25 shares). You can hit that 4 times. Downside is of course if you do it too many times then you are shorting.

Any thoughts?

Edited by SirPatrick

that feature above is useless for daytrading. it is usefull only for long term investing with big portfolios.

2 minutes ago, peterB said:

that feature above is useless for daytrading. it is usefull only for long term investing with big portfolios.

Is this due to the speed (or lack thereof)?

first reason is that it is unusable as soon as you have 2 positions opened at once

second reason is that it is not submitted instantly and have to click on it

basically you do not want a feature which behaves differently each time. if you press a key you want an exact action to be taken. same as if you clik BUY or SELL you do not want the platform to ask you any questions because you already know you want to BUY or SELL, right?

My TWS Win10 Latest, has started freezing recently.  Sometimes, it recovers and sometimes, it crashes/closes.  Looking at the Task Manager, I see spikes on Memory up to 4GB.  I have the memory setting at 1.5GB (which is recently updated from ~750KB).  Anyone  else seeing this issue?

tws is a java based application so any spikes in memory or high memory consumptions are normal

any window manager or window organizer you might be using can mess up with the drawing of windows, that is my experience with it, otherwise it never crashed but i am running it on a mac

17 hours ago, CassA said:

My TWS Win10 Latest, has started freezing recently.  Sometimes, it recovers and sometimes, it crashes/closes.  Looking at the Task Manager, I see spikes on Memory up to 4GB.  I have the memory setting at 1.5GB (which is recently updated from ~750KB).  Anyone  else seeing this issue?

No issues here. I have the same memory setting as you. Only issue I have run in to is the 1-min charts not showing any candles (have to cycle through different time frames to get them back). What does your Mosiac setup look like (how many charts, etc.) and how is the overall health of your computer?

Edited by SirPatrick

I have run TWS with 768KB ram, which I think is the default, and I have never experienced a crash in almost two years of using it (knock on wood).   I have 10 chart windows open and 3 level 2 screens as well as a few watch lists and order entry windows.  To SirPatricks question on 1 minute charts, I currently never run charts with a time frame less than 5 minute but I used to look at one minute charts and I would occasionally have some stutter on those charts, but it was rare. 

SirPatrick, I have a similar issue with the charts not showing certain stocks.  CGC for example doesn't show up on my 1-min or 5-min charts.  Chart->Refresh usually updates the window.   I just don't trade those.   My computer runs everything fine, and doesn't crash besides for TWS and that only within the past week or so (before that is was 100% stable).  I upgraded to 16GB of ram, and instead of spiking to 4GB, it now spikes to 8GB and freezes.  I am trying the "Show more than 500 bars" option as unchecked.  It seems like when I go to Daily/Weekly zoomed out to find support/resistance levels, and then switch back to 5-min and scroll to the current day is when TWS hangs. 

BrianS, my setup is one L2 and 13 chart windows of various time frames and groups.  1 order entry, 1 watchlist, 1 trades, 1 orders, 1 t&s, and 1 portfolio window.  I don't see it as really excessive. 

Thanks for the feedback.

i have the same issues with displaying CGC and some others. regarding your freezing i would suspect your CPU capabilities or antivirus software being the cause

Regarding the closing partial positions when you have more than one open position.  I found a product called zerolinetrader which is about $10 per month.  I have not tried this product but it has a lot of interesting potential functionality.  I would describe it as an order manager API that works with IB TWS.  Specific to this discussion of using TWS as your trading platform, it seems to allow scaling out of a position by a predefined percent or number of shares.  There is also a risk management componentas well as B/E stop functionality.  Anyway, looks like an interesting addition to TWS.  I have never tried any API onto the TWS platform so I cannot say if those already struggling with speed of platform would be adversely affected or not.

Link to product ( I am not affiliated in any way).

www.zerolinetrader.com

Edited by BrianS
forgot link to product

it has no development for a year and does not support hot keys

tried to run the demo and came up with a java error

so for me it is disqualified