Jump to content
GoldWTcal

tape reading for large float stocks

Recommended Posts

Good morning:

A question for those experienced day traders.

It is said that tape reading is important for day trading - time & sale and level 2 order book data. Because it gives more details for trading.

But my question is, when day trade a large float stock, such as AMD ( Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.),

which has high daily volume ( AMD has 70 - 90 Million shares traded per day ), very small spread on NBBO ( usually 1 or 2 cents ) and therefore very small slippages, 

do you still use tape reading - I mean do you still watch the level 2 and time & sales data when doing the trading. Does tape reading still make any sense for these large float stocks at all. 

One more thing to add is, you know, the data in the level 2 and time & sale windows is moving so fast for a stock like AMD, and therefore hard to catch and keep track of.

thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoldWTcal said:

 

do you still use tape reading - I mean do you still watch the level 2 and time & sales data when doing the trading. Does tape reading still make any sense for these large float stocks at all. 

 

For me YES.  Tape reading using the SMB training concepts allows a trader to fine tune an entry and stop placement A trader will watch the inside box and T&S as taught by SMB for best entry. This will improve ur R vs R.

 

1 hour ago, GoldWTcal said:

One more thing to add is, you know, the data in the level 2 and time & sale windows is moving so fast for a stock like AMD, and therefore hard to catch and keep track of.

.

When transactions are moving extremely fast you still watch the inside box but may focus on the colors being displayed in T&S and lowest TF of chart as possible. But I use SMB model of tape reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks, Alastair

But, what ( or who ) is " SMB " , sorry? 

Edited by GoldWTcal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry pls forgive me.......SMB is the initials of SMB Capital a prop firm that trades and has a youtube channel.

The channel teaches an very very basic intro in the SMB concepts., see it here  https://www.youtube.com/user/smbcapital/videos

They have made a few presentation to the BBT community.  Bella and Andrew are friends.

Check it out.  Many many vids including tape reading.   They do not give away the core of the training.

Not sure how advanced u are on tape reading but I wrote some basic stuff here........https://forums.bearbulltraders.com/topic/1916-bookmap-for-learning-level-2-and-ts/?tab=comments#comment-14463  and I point to some of the SMB vids.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2022 at 2:34 PM, Alastair said:

Sorry pls forgive me.......SMB is the initials of SMB Capital a prop firm that trades and has a youtube channel.

The channel teaches an very very basic intro in the SMB concepts., see it here  https://www.youtube.com/user/smbcapital/videos

..........................

 

Thanks a lot, Alastair, for this information. 

But, again, for those small float stocks, ( e.g. with daily trading volume of 100K - 500K shares per day ) I have no doubt that tape reading is very helpful to determine the entrance and place stop loss, find trading opportunity, etc.

I understand some of the information from tape reading is not available from the candlestick charts. They provide more detailed, fine information.

However, the question is, for a large float stock, such as AMD, NVDA, etc, the spreads and slippages are so small, if you watch the level 2 book data, they are so "thickly" traded, with very good liquidity.

and again, the data is moving so fast and hard for human eyes to catch them. 

I am just wondering if it still makes any sense using tape reading when trading these big stocks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoldWTcal said:

However, the question is, for a large float stock, such as AMD, NVDA, etc, the spreads and slippages are so small, if you watch the level 2 book data, they are so "thickly" traded, with very good liquidity.

Tape reading......is just another indicator........the trader uses it, if it fits into ur strategy.   If it does not fit, drop that indicator.

Some traders do not use RSI, others love it.  It boils down to ur style of trading and objectives.

Some traders do not use candle stick charts, only L2 and T&S to trade.

U need to decide that.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alastair said:

Tape reading......is just another indicator........the trader uses it, if it fits into ur strategy.   If it does not fit, drop that indicator.

Some traders do not use RSI, others love it.  It boils down to ur style of trading and objectives.

Some traders do not use candle stick charts, only L2 and T&S to trade.

U need to decide that.

 

 

 

Thanks, Alastair. 

I don't disagree with your comments here. That is true. 

Honestly, what I truly want to hear by my original post is, if some experience day traders can confirm for me ( with their experience ) about my thoughts ( guess ) -

that is, tape reading is only helpful for trading small float stocks but not suitable for the large float ones ( to be more specific, float shares > 500 million shares, daily volume >  1 - 2 million shares per day ).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.