JFeels

DAS Trader Performance Question

Greetings BBT,

I have a PC that I built back in 2016. i7, GTX 1080 and 32GB RAM. Even though she's got some years, she still functions really well. Currently, DAS seems to be running just fine. However, I do have a question on how I can maximize performance. Along with DAS, I run Firefox, Chrome, ThinkorSwim, and Discord. Would running these other programs potentially impact the quote speed or trade execution of DAS. Would it impact my charts and how fast the candles update. I don't see any issues (only been doing this for a week or so), but I am wondering if that's because I just don't know "what I don't know".

The alternative would be to run DAS on my laptop. Just picked up a brand new HP Spectre x360 with 16GB RAM. I can have DAS be the only thing running on the laptop and keep all the other programs on the PC.

Would really appreciate some thoughts and opinions!

I don't think an i7 with 32GB would slow down. However, when I see sometimes my wife's high end graphic workstation with 100 open Chrome tabs... I wonder: How much more can this computer take? 😄

I have DAS on my laptop (Dell XPS17, i7 10th gen, 32GB) with eSignal (which made my old laptop sweat), Chrome, MSOffice, OBS recording, Spotify, livestreams from BBT and other trading group at the same time and sometimes watching Youtube - no problems. DAS data amount is very very small if you compare it to video streaming.

Thanks Konrad, appreciate the insight! The "100 chrome tabs" comment made me 😂. 

Hi there. From my experience, most latency comes from ISPs and not actual hardware. I have traded different brokers / platforms on everything from my gaming rig with multiple monitors to a laptop with a bunch of other programs running.

I do know that some platforms are customizable as far as the amount of ram they are allocated so this can possibly make a difference. As far as DAS goes, I Think you should be good to go with your current setup.