fintan777

Travelling and trading with wi-fi

Hi all,

I am thinking about travelling to a different country while also trading. I only use Ethernet at home, so what is it like trading over wi-fi? I have identified an AirBnB that offers up to 24mbs. This is the max I will get, what is the minimum I need for trading?

Thanks!

Can you bring an long ethernet cable? That's what I do when I go to my in-laws. Their wifi cuts in and out which is obviously not great for trading, but since I started bringing my own cable it works just fine. 

From my personal experience I find it harder to trade while traveling. There's more distractions, different setup, less time... However, I watch fewer stocks and take fewer trades (maybe 1-3 a day) and have noticed that over a very small sample size I have a higher win rate, but at a lower dollar amount than normal. 

15 hours ago, peterB said:

according to DAS at least 10/10 DL/UL speed recommended

most important is packet loss. you can measure the line with some tools first. are you a profitable trader? if not, it is not very probable that you will be trading better while traveling or on vacation.

Thanks Peter. I will look into measuring packet loss - is there a max number of losses based on down/up speed that should indicate its a no go?
I am not a profitable trader. I went live for 2 weeks and made money, then proceeded to lose that money for 2 weeks. I am back on the Sim now until I can improve my risk management. I have faith that I will be able to get better at trading while I'm in another country, providing the wifi is good 😄

Edited by fintan777
forgot part of reply

24 minutes ago, cjsimon07 said:

Can you bring an long ethernet cable? That's what I do when I go to my in-laws. Their wifi cuts in and out which is obviously not great for trading, but since I started bringing my own cable it works just fine. 

From my personal experience I find it harder to trade while traveling. There's more distractions, different setup, less time... However, I watch fewer stocks and take fewer trades (maybe 1-3 a day) and have noticed that over a very small sample size I have a higher win rate, but at a lower dollar amount than normal. 

Good idea, I didn't think of that. I'll ask if the router is accessible. I will be moving to another country for a month, so I will have plenty of time to trade for an hour or two each day.

I've been trading from Wifi in Kaohsiung, Taiwan for the last two weeks. I have a fairly good connection here so it's been fine, but it did cut out a couple of times which rarely happens to me at home. I would use a wired ethernet connection if I could but this place only has Wifi. The speed and the ping are good though. I would agree that 10mbps is doable, but more is better of course if you've got audio from the chatroom, multiple charts, two charting programs etc. So 24 is probably decent. Of course it's good to have your phone with the trading app close by with data so you can use it to hop out of a position if things go haywire.