Matthew

Strategy Printouts (Setups/Playbook)

Matthew,

Thank you for capturing these strategies as PDF.  This will be very useful for new traders like myself. Appreciate your selfless service. 

• Like 1

Matthew thanks for the info it's super useful!

I have been playing with an idea to combine the setup info and a trade planner in excel so I can pull out examples of the setup in picture form with a table of key indicators / rules / confirmation signals as well as a R:R calculator.  Would be interested to get feedback on suggestions on it. 

Link to google drive with the file:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PoAgvlTZ5AwVDkcu3ciEhTafGCprnGip/view?usp=sharing

The idea is that you define the setup in text in a "Strategy_definition" sheet and add in picture examples in setup columns.  You select the setup from the drop-down in a cell and click the button (need to have macros enabled) and it shows an example of the setup and lists the key info a table below. 

You can use it to check the validity of the setup and plan the trade.  Insert the intended trade direction, intended entry price, STOP etc.  The table of R:R helps to identify if the setup has a realistic chance of achieving 2R+ and during a trade helps to plan profit taking when combined with technical levels and orders on the L2.

I also tend to use it in my journal as a resource to help define the robustness of the setup at the point of entry.

Playbook_Trade_Planner_example.JPG

Edited by JC
Updated link to google drive file
  • Like 2

On 8/15/2020 at 5:46 AM, JC said:

Matthew thanks for the info it's super useful!

I have been playing with an idea to combine the setup info and a trade planner in excel so I can pull out examples of the setup in picture form with a table of key indicators / rules / confirmation signals as well as a R:R calculator.  Would be interested to get feedback on suggestions on it. 

Link to google drive with the file:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HIC3Vz_VbOTgHvlfQ7u_s9JNX7swSSc6/view?usp=sharing

The idea is that you define the setup in text in a "Strategy_definition" sheet and add in picture examples in setup columns.  You select the setup from the drop-down in a cell and click the button (need to have macros enabled) and it shows an example of the setup and lists the key info a table below. 

You can use it to check the validity of the setup and plan the trade.  Insert the intended trade direction, intended entry price, STOP etc.  The table of R:R helps to identify if the setup has a realistic chance of achieving 2R+ and during a trade helps to plan profit taking when combined with technical levels and orders on the L2.

I also tend to use it in my journal as a resource to help define the robustness of the setup at the point of entry.

Playbook_Trade_Planner_example.JPG

Very cool! You could learn a lot about your trading using something like this.

@JC Great idea, seems a bit cumbersome without diving into it (premature comment though).

Make sure your journaling method is enjoyable and concise. It is easy to journal on green days but when you have one, two, three red days in a row journaling often becomes that 'last thing you want to do'. I will review this and see if I want to utilize it and definitely share some feedback afterwards. 

52 minutes ago, OTC said:

@JC Great idea, seems a bit cumbersome without diving into it (premature comment though).

Make sure your journaling method is enjoyable and concise. It is easy to journal on green days but when you have one, two, three red days in a row journaling often becomes that 'last thing you want to do'. I will review this and see if I want to utilize it and definitely share some feedback afterwards. 

This is just a cheat sheet really to help structure the trade better and beat the demons like overly aggressive / early entries.  I have added in pictures from matthew's sheets and the mod's success webinars and the indicators / confirmation signals.  You just select the setup from a drop down and click the button and it reveals an example picture and the indicator / signal checklist to use as a guide.  Most useful for newbies like myself.

My analytical journal is waaaaay more complicated 🙂 and I totally agree it's a right pain doing it with a string of red trades. 

• Like 1