JasonH

How does this kind of candle occur?

Attached chart is from pre-market activity today 7-1-19 for MU. How does a giant red candlestick like that occur? prev and next candlesticks appear 'normal'. What is going on here?

2019-07-01.png

I see that a lot. It is not a real trade. Just ignore those They happen a lot in pre-post markets. I have seen them happen but no trades actually went into the tape when it showed up. 

Here's another one. Did NVDA really trade all the way down at ~164.50? Seems like you would need more than 49k shares to lower the price that much on such a large and heavily traded stock.

image.png.4bddcb81c58a4e95d6f273a5926e6e7a.png

On 7/5/2019 at 7:52 PM, JasonHeidecker said:

Here's another one. Did NVDA really trade all the way down at ~164.50? Seems like you would need more than 49k shares to lower the price that much on such a large and heavily traded stock.

image.png.4bddcb81c58a4e95d6f273a5926e6e7a.png

I don’t really know how they form but we see this happen pretty often, even if you had limit order somewhere there or hard stop somewhere around that wick, you won’t get filled and it won’t ruin your trade, happened so many times to me, those wicks didn’t get me stopped or squeezed, but would be interesting to know the reason behind forming them!