ecadaret

Up or Down? Market looks like Triple Top/Distribution Phase

Hi all,

Want to see what everyone is thinking on the market direction. To me, i view it as a Triple Top and we are in the Distribution Phase of the market cycle and i think we likely will be heading lower and still in a bear market. Also, the S&P is hitting the 2800 area level for the fourth time in recent months and it's proving to again be resistance. If you look back into early 2018, we see this level multiple times again. Lastly, V-shape moves are rare and generally speaking, there is a retrace to 50% and can continue lower after some consolidation.

Thoughts?

20190228_S&P500.PNG

Ecadaret, I have been watching a number of stocks that are following this very same looking thing. I have been waiting to do much for this reason. Most of the ones I have been keeping my eye on look very weak going above any resistance so it may hold true that they are going to dump back down soon. Anything that moves really fast up or down tends to have a correction following so it seems, so another downward correction may be in the works. Just sitting on my hands watching for now. 

Yep. We'll see if it fails to break above or fakes out and breaks lower. If it doesn't fail or fake out, then it'll be interesting to see how much more it goes. What concerns me is the slowdown and then the drastic pickup in economic data. When things whipsaw like that in light of the tight labor market etc., it signals caution to me. Also the rebound is steep and so i still suspect around 50% retracement. I'm currently short term swing trading with options at the moment until i see a clear break lower then i'm going to go aggressively short like i did in October and December and then wait for the trend to develop downward, if any.