Jump to content

We have moved to Discord. Please click here to join us in the Trading Terminal Discord server.



These forums are read-only.

fhaf33z

Trading on East Coast with FT Job

Recommended Posts

fhaf33z

Hi!

 

I was wondering if any of you guys are trading a different market due to time zone difference or a full-time job? I was able to join the chat a few times but I basically live on the east coast next to NYC and work a 8 to 5 PM type of job. Impossible for me to trade the U.S. equity market. I've considered London but would have to get up at 2:30 AM. I think Japan or Hong Kong at 7 PM and 8 PM might be reasonable but looking to see if the volume would also be there.

 

What time zone, job, and market are you guys trading? Or if you have any suggestions, please feel free to advise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason H.

I'm trading in the central time zone and go in to work about 9am. Basically, I trade the open and first 20 minutes. I'm intending to study forex because the market is open 5 days a week, 24 hours a day, but the markets are a lot to learn! Forex is a good way to trade if you have a full time job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fhaf33z

FX is a whole different animal. The highest traded volume is Europe open for Eur traded pairs to lunch time at 12 pm EST. In fact, its very difficult to measure fx volume since its decentralized.

 

Worth a look but trades very differently from Equities. I've tried swing trading it before with no success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ercilia182

I live in NYC, I practically re-arranged my work schedule to be able to trade in the mornings. I work from 10:30 to 6:30, looking to trade in the first 30 to 40 minutes, after open. It not for the flexibility that my job offers me, I would not be able to do it. I considered FoREX in the beginning but I agree, its a totally different animal and thought starting in equity's would be best. None the less, good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MichelleJ

Trading in Central time zone. Go to work after one hour trading, always from 8;30-9:30 central time. It is hard to balance when you have a full time job , a family and a side business to run.  That why to become a full time trader is the ultimate goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robbie Williams

I live in Australia so the market opens at 11:30pm my time. It's even more painful when you switch to daylight savings as it then becomes 12:30.

In regards to trading a different market such as London or Asia, I'm not sure if the same strategies apply as you need traders to be actively looking for the same patterns to be successful/self fulfilling. Does anyone have any idea if other international markets work the same as the NYSE and NASDAQ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[[Template core/front/global/mobileNavigation is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.