TerryDT

Laptop Setup for Day Trading w/ 4 Monitors

Happy New Year BBT Family,

As my current (and very old) laptop has proven insufficient for my day trading objectives, I am in the market for a new PC laptop. I have read through several of the existing topics in the forums:

Though these threads were helpful, I still had several questions. My budget for a new laptop is up to $1,000, with wiggle room of +/- $200. I use DAS Trader Pro, and I want to hook up a minimum of 4 monitors to my laptop. (or, should I look for a laptop that can support up to 6 monitors?) I was looking at the Dell XPS 13 Laptop, however, it comes with a 'shared graphics card', which I have learned is a big no-no if you want to hookup more than 2 or 3 monitors.

Having researched what I believe are minimum specs, I came up with the following specs below. Please let me know if these are appropriate, of if better specs are needed.

1. Processor - Quad-Core, at least 3 - 3.5 GHz, but shooting for 4 GHz. Is that enough?
  2. Hard Drive - SSD at least 250GB (or should I go higher?)
  3. RAM - At least 8GB, or should I get at least 16GB?
  4. Graphics Card - What is the minimum GB I need? Any particular brand, or doesn't matter? I know shared graphics cards that use the RAM of the laptop are not good choices.
  5. Monitors - I currently have four (4) Dell 22-in. Monitors.
  6. Assuming that the new laptop will have HDMI, DisplayPort and/or Thunderbolt ports, how would I connect 4 VGA monitors to the laptop? Docking station plus VGA-to-HDMI adapters for each screen? Everything I have tried to find online is so confusing. I keep getting directed to devices such as splitters or over-priced gadgets that have about a dozen different ports.
  7. Any other devices/gadgets you would recommend, such as special keyboards, mice, or adapters?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Pardon me if these questions have been asked before. I spent some time trying to find existing threads for this subject matter, but nothing this specific. 

Cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryDT

Thank you peterB!

For 5: Is that because multiple VGA monitors are just too old to connect to newer laptops given the technology?

For 6: That indeed sounds like a mess!

Will consider the very large monitor + laptop combo.

On the thunderbolt chain, would a GPU with 8GB work for that many non-VGA monitors? Pardon the repeat question, I'm not crystal clear on GPU memory demands as it relates to computer screens.

Desktop: Had not considered, in case I wanted to travel with my pc. I will look into these small form factor PCs. If you had any recommendations, please let me know!

Cheers, 

Terry

Got it, I have a bit more research to do because a desktop could be a better fit. Thank you very much!

Hey BBT Fam,

Wanted to get the forum's thoughts on this PC desktop for day trading.

I have read up on the video card, and it's basically a fantastic video card for gamers on a budget. Looked up the ports as well, and I believe it can support up to 4 regular-sized HDMI/DP monitors.

However, I was thinking of a 32" inch 4K monitor, with perhaps two regular HDMI/DP monitors for things like BBT chat, news, and non-day trading stuff. 

I am completely ignorant when it comes to high-performance desktops, so I wanted to know if this video card could support 1x 4K monitor and 2X full HD regular monitors (let's say 24"). The video card has a DVI port, 1x HDMI port, and at least 2 DP ports. So I could connect the 4K to the DP or HDMI port, and then chain the other two monitors to the second DP.

Thank you for the help!

Cheers,

Terry

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-slate-mr-gaming-desktop-intel-i7-11700f-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-super-6gb-480gb-ssd-1tb-hdd/6480908.p?skuId=6480908

Hey TerryDT,

I am also looking for a Day Trading lap top set up. Did you end up getting your new set up? I am curious how it turned out. Cheers