SeaDub

Broker for Canadian territories

So I started an account application with IB Canada and only got as far as selecting where you're a resident. The drop-down did not have any of the Canadian territories, one of which I am a resident of. I found this FAQ:

NWT, Yukon or Nunavut are not available from the dropdown list of Provinces when completing an application.

IB Canada does not hold a registration on such Canadian territories as NWT, Yukon or Nunavut. However, IB Canada is registered with all ten Canadian provinces. If you are a resident of any Canadian province, you would qualify to open an IB Canada account.
https://www.ibkr.com/faq?id=38467200

So it appears I may have hit a hurdle here. I'll try to contact IBKR directly later on to confirm but am wondering if anyone else has run into this? Trade from the territories? And what broker you use?

Got a response from IBKR to an email I sent. The FAQ is accurate, you cannot open an account if you are a resident of NWT, Yukon or Nunavut. So now I need to think on this.
I'm planning on moving in 2022 so could wait until then. But that would be like 18 months in SIM (at least I'm not losing money?)
It seems the other broker/platforms I've looked at are more expensive, slower execution/data, or not as robust platforms. After spending around 11 months in SIM already, I'm tempted to just wait it out now that I'm familiar with DAS and have built my strategies around it's tools and knowledge from this community. I've been looking at Questrade, TD Direct, even QTrade and Wealthsimple Trade. I tend to go for longer moves rather than scalping and was going to look at Medved for Questrade as an option although I understand I'd need L2 data from somewhere else. But all these options feel  jury-rigged. Any thoughts on all this are welcome.

• Like 1