Skye

IB Minimum Balance?

I'm in the US so I need 25k to open an account with IB. Can someone tell me what minimum balance I need to maintain?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People that spend their time telling others what can't be done only annoy those of us out there doing it.

Thanks for responding Abiel. The info. in those links don't give me this answer. So you are saying that if I put say 30k in an IB account and losses brought me under 25k my account would be closed?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People that spend their time telling others what can't be done only annoy those of us out there doing it.

Skye,

If your account balance drops below 25k at any point you will be locked out from placing any more trades.

I have personal experience of this through the DAS platform.

Intra-day, if your balance drops under 25k, you will receive an error message that basically says,

"Dear trader, because your account balance falls under the PDT minimum you cannot place anymore trades".

You will have to bring your account balance over 25k to even place another trade.

Your account will not be closed however.

Bailey Nevener

==============================

My YouTube Trading Journal

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkK2SWIsYGuWm1gtlbD2C4w

Edited by Bailey Nevener
  • Thanks 1

Right, I meant locked, not closed. Thanks for clarifying, that's what I needed.

• Like 1

@Skye You can trade with under $25K on a cash account.  Just "play" with half your account value every day so your money has time to clear.  I.E. if you have $15K, use $7.5K per day to trade with and you will have money cleared to play with every day (because it takes 2 days for funds to clear when your account is a cash account instead of a margin account).

• Like 1