fintan777

Travelling set up recommendations.

I will be moving to a different country for one month, and I keep on moving month by month.

What trading set up would people recommend? I have a laptop and I am thinking of getting two (maybe 3?) additional portable monitors. 

What set ups do ya'll have?

Thanks

• Like 1

I just spent a month with my 17" ASUS laptop and two ASUS extrenal USB monitors. I found that that did the job and I didn't feel like I needed anymore screens. The charts didn't load quite as fast but it worked out fine. I had to use Wifi but it was okay. It's even better if you can plug in with a LAN cable for (hopefully) a stable connection.

On 8/19/2020 at 11:22 AM, fintan777 said:

I will be moving to a different country for one month, and I keep on moving month by month.

What trading set up would people recommend? I have a laptop and I am thinking of getting two (maybe 3?) additional portable monitors. 

What set ups do ya'll have?

Thanks

My wife and I like to travel a fair amount....I use 2 travel setups....the first is one using USB powered displays (Andrew uses ASUS, Lepow makes ones that uses newer USB-C standard).....ASUS has been pioneering these so those are the most reliable ones. They run between $150-200. The second option I recently turned to for more screen real estate is using 22-25" AC powered displays. You can get ones that are flat and light so are pretty portable for travel in a a car with some luggage.  Here I turned to ACER 22 and 24" that were available for ~$100 on Amazon or at Costco. 

Most laptops have several USB ports...make sure you have the matching standard...newer USB standards 3.0 and up are usually marked in blue but you need to check this in your laptop specs. Many laptops will sport an HDMI , MiniDP port, VGA, DVI or now also USB-C that will feed video to an external display at higher resolution. If you are shopping for a laptop and will be using it for trading a lot make sure it fits your needs for external displays. The Lenovo Y545 w 1660TI GPU I use can put out video without a hub directly to 3 USB or AC powered displays. The USB displays are less than 2lbs and the AC powered ones are about 6lbs. I have attached a few pics of the AC powered setup w one ACER 22" and 2 ACER 24" displays. The Y545 is a 15" laptop/

One more thing....you gotta think about with this...as you can there's 3 different sized displays in this setup. This could be an issue with DAS s/w bc if you want to extend the screen across several displays the sizing can become a hiccup. A few others here have suggested some workaround for this. My USB displays all match the size of the 15" Lenovo screen so with those I haven't had an issue while traveling. Recently I switched to TradeStation software  trading platform and w that s/w theres no issue with screen size bc you can have several different desktops and workspaces so I just use 3 different desktops for trading s/w.

TravelACsetup1.jpg

TravelACsetup2.jpg

TravelACsetup3.jpg

TravelACsetup4.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will go with two ASUS portable monitors - I think it will be more convenient than having to carry an AC monitor.

I know this is down to personal preference, but do you use a keyboard and mouse? I will probably bring a mouse, and have yet to decide if I want a keyboard (which would probably mean I need a laptop stand if I do)