Sign in to follow this  
Mike B

The Way These Older Amateur Athletes are Staying Fit

By Matt Fuchs (WP)

When I talked with 76-year-old Sylvia Okala for an article about thriving older tennis players last August, she said that though she prefers to sleep late, she would get up at 5:30 a.m. to prepare for a match. Then the pandemic hit, and the U.S. Tennis Association suspended all activities in March. Okala can sleep in as much as she wants, but, “Oh my God, I miss it,” she said. The Washington, D.C., resident was used to playing four times per week.

“Without competitive tennis, there’s no goal to make me practice and stay in shape,” she said.

While the media has heavily covered the interruptions to the Olympics, and to collegiate and professional sports, older amateur athletes might be even more affected, because the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is urging that seniors take extra precautions. Asked how they’re maintaining their well-being despite the disruption of their leagues and routines, several seniors revealed strategies for overcoming adversity, regardless of one’s age or athletic ability. ....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/the-way-these-older-amateur-athletes-are-staying-fit-despite-the-pandemic-offers-lessons-for-all-ages/2020/06/24/2ed17ab8-b652-11ea-a8da-693df3d7674a_story.html