Sign in to follow this  
wpicotte

The Art of Learning

A recent read, and one I recommend for BBTers even though it's not specifically about trading, is The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin. Josh is a world-champ chess and Tai Chi Chuan player, and the subject of the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer.

The core of the book covers his "system" for becoming a top performer. Whether or not you ascribe to the idea of top performers, Waitzkin learned to win within two highly competitive arenas and the book lays out personal experiences that led to his contemplations about how to win (or lose), including important mechanical and psychological aspects that readily translate to daytrading, and ultimately details the approach to winning that he developed and refined.

The book is an easy read and unlike others of its genre. Calling what it presents a system is too heavy-handed -- it's closer to philosophy, and one I relate to easily as both a former athlete and someone still seeking my full potential as a human. In this latter regard I have a long way to go, but definitely gained some ground by learning about Waitzkin's paradigm.