Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 2/25/2020 at 8:04 PM, Yardley said:

@wklodge who's your broker?

@Yardley, TradeStation Securities is my broker; TradeStation is my platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@wklodge, thanks for the feedback here. It most definitely appears that there's something about the interface between TS 9.5 and Windows -- at least on my own system -- that is preventing the Stream Deck software from alerting Windows that the Deck is present in the system. The Stream Deck software requires you to designate what program you want the Deck to work with whenever it's running,  and the Stream Deck software definitely sees that TS 9.5 is on and allows me to select it. But for whatever reason, Windows isn't looking for or seeing the Stream Deck input device when TS 9.5 is running even though the Stream Deck software is telling it to. On the other hand, a couple of other programs I've tried the Deck with -- including TS10 and MS Word -- do respond to the programmed Deck keystrokes. So, if you programmed your hotkeys into your Stream Deck correctly with their software, and taken that last step to tell the Stream Deck software what program you want it to work with, and it's still not working, then you probably haven't done anything wrong. It's possible it just doesn't work with TS9.5 or there's another Windows setting that I'm not aware of that needs to be massaged. I'll keep trying to figure it out and post up a solution if I can find one; I do have an email into Elgato tech support right now, but the response times are very long at the moment.

In the meantime, I've set up my TS10 trading station and have been trying to get used to using it and the Stream Deck in sim. So far I'm finding ver 10 a bit of a pain to use, but I'm SO loving the Stream Deck. I have the 15 key version, and I have one page of hotkeys for Longs and another for  Shorts. I've posted the pics here. When I want to switch from entering and managing a Long trade to a Short, or go back, I hit the button on the upper left to toggle to the appropriate keys. They're a little hard to read in these images because the keys have the default graphic treatment behind them (they're more legible in person), but I'm going to switch these out for a plain background behind the type anyway. Having all the required buy and sell actions happen with a single hotkey (no +CTL or +ALT combos required) and having those clearly identified by function right on the button, then having all the buttons in one place... is a game changer for me.

TS-SD-Longs.JPG

TS-SD-Shorts.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Robohound said:

The Stream Deck software requires you to designate what program you want the Deck to work with whenever it's running,  and the Stream Deck software definitely sees that TS 9.5 is on and allows me to select it. But for whatever reason, Windows isn't looking for or seeing the Stream Deck input device when TS 9.5 is running even though the Stream Deck software is telling it to.

this can be solved by assigning your desired keys to the default profile in streamdeck. that way it doe snot have to detect anything it just works. if you need to use different profiles in other apps just let streamdeck detect those instead of TS

i also recomend you to change the colors of the keys in streamdeck. i have been struggling with it when i used only one color for all operations

Edited by peterB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2020 at 8:04 PM, Yardley said:

@wklodge who's your broker?

Sorry for the late response but I don't visit the forums very often. My broker and trade platform is TradeStation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2020 at 3:44 PM, peterB said:

 

you just press the ctrl+2 on the bottom line Hotkey:

1778018189_Screenshot2020-02-25at21_44_42.thumb.png.63e34e974cd7bc05a25c161f52314119.png

peterB,

I have my hotkeys set up exactly as you've shown. Seems pretty easy to me, but they don't work. Robohound (elsewhere in this thread) said he couldn't get Stream Deck to work with TradeStation v9.5 either. Supposedly it works with v10 but neither of us want to upgrade to v10 at this point. It has too many problems. Barely beta IMO. I don't know what else I can do at this point.

William

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2020 at 10:17 AM, peterB said:

this can be solved by assigning your desired keys to the default profile in streamdeck. that way it doe snot have to detect anything it just works. if you need to use different profiles in other apps just let streamdeck detect those instead of TS

i also recomend you to change the colors of the keys in streamdeck. i have been struggling with it when i used only one color for all operations

peterB,

I hate to be a pain about this, but I've done as you suggested -- assign hotkeys to the Stream Deck default profile. The only buttons that work for me in TradeStation v9.5 are (1) folder button that switches between Long and Short, (2) CPU % usage, (3) google.com, and (4) a button that goes to the BBT Login page. None of the buy and sell hotkeys work. Robohound has apparently upgraded to TS v10 and says that the Stream Deck works for that version. I'm very reluctant to upgrade to TS v10...my son uses it and absolutely hates it. He has all sorts of problems that I don't have in v9.5. He's not using the Stream Deck however. They changed the user interface in TS v10 along w/ some of the terminology used in the program (e.g., they use the word "study" instead of "indicator", which, of course, is not a big deal). They also have v9.5 commands now hidden in dropdown menus. I looked at the interface and find it rather confusing. I think it'll be a while before I upgrade to v10. I can't afford the time now to learn an entirely new interface, or deal with v10's own set of bugs.

Anyway, I must be doing *something* right since I got a few of the keys to work. If you have any more suggestions, please let me know. And thank you for your help so far.

William

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

honestly it just has to work with any software

just do the same key combination that you do in Tradestation. but keep in mind that hotkey is not a script so if you need to press the keys in a sequence then you need to set it up differently.

try to use https://www.keyboardtester.com/tester.html

to see when you press the streamdeck button if it does exactly what you need it to press for tradestation.

and post a screenshot of your key setup which is not working

Edited by peterB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2020 at 3:44 PM, peterB said:

 

you just press the ctrl+2 on the bottom line Hotkey:

1778018189_Screenshot2020-02-25at21_44_42.thumb.png.63e34e974cd7bc05a25c161f52314119.png

peterB,

I have my hotkeys set up exactly as you've shown. Seems pretty easy to me, but they don't work. Robohound (elsewhere in this thread) said he couldn't get Stream Deck to work with TradeStation v9.5 either. Supposedly it works with v10 but neither of us want to upgrade to v10 at this point. It has too many problems. Barely beta IMO. I don't know what else I can do at this point.

William

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2020 at 2:57 PM, peterB said:

honestly it just has to work with any software

just do the same key combination that you do in Tradestation. but keep in mind that hotkey is not a script so if you need to press the keys in a sequence then you need to set it up differently.

try to use https://www.keyboardtester.com/tester.html

to see when you press the streamdeck button if it does exactly what you need it to press for tradestation.

and post a screenshot of your key setup which is not working

image.png.8ed56c3d5fbee122e648d89c3e5c89a1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TradeStation makes it easier than you might think bc you can just use your keyboard for everything. They took a nifty route to cover the need for many different hotkeys....rather than programming every single setting into separate hotkeys they use a few keys to separately control:

ORDER TYPES

PRICE

VOLUME

ROUTES

plus a few other misc variables (see image of my current config below).


This configuration gives the user a lot more flexibility...the issue with Streamdeck here is the XL gives you several levels of programming but you need to dig down a level which makes it almost like working in a DOS files and folders...w TS approach you need to know a few keys well but you have unlimited flexibility, e.g. you can set share price at the 3- or 4-digit level and then just up the ante by hitting the PgUp or PgDn key to go from 1000 to 6000.

 

re. Price markers for trading from charts...see the second attached infographic it's self explanatory.

image.thumb.png.19a3e132d5ca3062e4838e5de037a4c2.png

 

image.thumb.png.f413047e58ab4254937735610563f671.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wklodge said:

peterB,

I have my hotkeys set up exactly as you've shown. Seems pretty easy to me, but they don't work. Robohound (elsewhere in this thread) said he couldn't get Stream Deck to work with TradeStation v9.5 either. Supposedly it works with v10 but neither of us want to upgrade to v10 at this point. It has too many problems. Barely beta IMO. I don't know what else I can do at this point.

William

if you press alt+1 on the keyboard, does it work or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2020 at 3:14 AM, peterB said:

if you press alt+1 on the keyboard, does it work or not?

It does not work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so that is your problem. not the streamdeck. just find a combination that works with your trading software

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 8:38 PM, Marek Liyanage said:

TradeStation makes it easier than you might think bc you can just use your keyboard for everything. They took a nifty route to cover the need for many different hotkeys....rather than programming every single setting into separate hotkeys they use a few keys to separately control:

ORDER TYPES

PRICE

VOLUME

ROUTES

plus a few other misc variables (see image of my current config below).


This configuration gives the user a lot more flexibility...the issue with Streamdeck here is the XL gives you several levels of programming but you need to dig down a level which makes it almost like working in a DOS files and folders...w TS approach you need to know a few keys well but you have unlimited flexibility, e.g. you can set share price at the 3- or 4-digit level and then just up the ante by hitting the PgUp or PgDn key to go from 1000 to 6000.

 

re. Price markers for trading from charts...see the second attached infographic it's self explanatory.

image.thumb.png.19a3e132d5ca3062e4838e5de037a4c2.png

 

image.thumb.png.f413047e58ab4254937735610563f671.png

I hate to be stupid again, but where did u find all this? I had to create separate hotkeys for each Buy, Sell, etc. I have no separate hotkeys for changing Route or Order Type. These are all part of the developed hotkey per TradeStation. What does ur Stream Deck look like? Thanks.

 

1 minute ago, peterB said:

so that is your problem. not the streamdeck. just find a combination that works with your trading software

Hey peterB,

Didn't expect someone to be up so early. But doesn't all this beg the question -- why don't my TS keyboard hotkeys work w/ the Stream Deck if they work via keyboard w/ TradeStation? I guess it doesn't really matter which keys I use as long as I can understand the Stream Deck keys. Another dumb question -- How do I find a combination that works w/ TradeStation? I was looking at Marek's setup and can't figure out how he did it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i am in Europe so thats why i am up 🙂

if you say that the alt+1 does not work from keyboard then its not a streamdeck problem so alt+1 on streamdeck does not make the difference.

it depends all on your computer operating system and adware installed. like on laptops the alt+1 might not be alt+1 or if you have a spanish or german keyboard enabled the number 1 is not 1 so it does not work.

how to find out what works. you want to have it on strange and not usual key kombinations. like shift+ctrl+B for buy order for example l. that way writing on the keyboard will not execute orders when your writing window focus is by mistake in DAS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.