dmiles

New lifetime member here

Hello to the best trading community out there!

My name is Glen Miles, but I normally go by my middle name, which is Duane. I live with my wife Precy, and my 12 year old son Matt in warner Robins, GA, about an hour and a half south of Atlanta. I'm an engineer specializing in field service of medical imaging equipment, primarily CT, and MRI scanners. I have had a long, successful career, and I enjoy it very much. I am currently employed by Canon Medical Systems USA, and they are a great company for which to work.

I recently decided to no longer be simply a passive investor, and made a decision to take responsibility for the performance of my portfolio. I started out by learning as much as I could about analyzing the fundamentals of companies, and technical analysis of charts. I built a portfolio that includes long term, as well as swing investments.

I have always had a curiosity for day trading, but I was alarmed by what seemed to be an endless supply of vultures looking to feast upon the naïve and/or desperate folks who might be looking to get rich quick, or at least any easy way to quit the 9 to 5 grind, and work a couple of hours a day from a condo in the Bahamas. Even though I don't consider myself among that group, I still found that I had some misconceptions about day trading in general.

I was thrilled to find Dr. Aziz's book, How To Day Trade For A Living. I read it in a couple of days, and I am now reading Advanced Techniques In Day Trading, and I just signed up as a lifetime member. I plan on spending a few months trading with the simulator, to see if all this is for me.

I have some other things motivating me along this route, but I'll probably be discussing these things in the future. right now I just wanted to say hello, and I'm looking forward to the adventure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Duane!  My name is Kurt and I'm one of the moderators for BBT. We are so excited to have you as a member of our community. Please reach out to myself or any of the other team members should you have any questions or need any assistance. We are here to help you in any way we can in your trading journey! (besides telling you what to buy or sell, of course). 🙂

See you in the chat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, KurtLoeblich said:

Hey Duane!  My name is Kurt and I'm one of the moderators for BBT. We are so excited to have you as a member of our community. Please reach out to myself or any of the other team members should you have any questions or need any assistance. We are here to help you in any way we can in your trading journey! (besides telling you what to buy or sell, of course). 🙂

See you in the chat!

Hi Kurt, thanks for the welcome. Yes, I already sent an email with a general question and received an almost instantaneous reply.

I am turning 60 this month, and I have been thinking about starting a service similar to BearBulls, with the idea of focusing on serving the "seasoned" demographic. I believe that I can relate to the specific challenges of the  curmudgeons among us. However, after seeing what is out there, I knew that there was no way that I could operate like most I have seen, and be able to live with myself. Finding this site changed all that. It may well never come to fruition, but at least I know that it is possible to do it the right way, and be successful.

right now, just focusing on the next step, and looking forward to it!

• Like 1

I'm still a bit of a spring chicken (I'm turning 29 next week, so maybe I'm not as young as I like to think I am) but I know from talking with day traders from all walks of life that you'd be surprised with how many of the challenges you will face as a day trader are shared throughout the community. The struggles we deal with on a daily basis are rooted in human psychology, and whether you're 18 or 80, that's something we wll share. 

That being said, I have no doubt that there are certain challenges the seasoned demographic (as you so eloquently put) will face that some of the younger folks may not initially struggled with. Something that comes to the front of my mind is, naturally, embracing the technology that we utilize. Considering I grew up playing video games, integrating the hotkey muscle memory into my trading was relatively easy and I didn't have to put much thought into it and I can certainly see how others may not have a similar experience. 

What I may recommend to you is that we do have members of all ages within BBT and you are obviously more than welcome to connect with them and potentially setting up a group within the community!  This forum post right here may be the first step!  By connecting with members in a similar situation as yourself, you can all share your experiences and help each other, which is what BBT is all about. 

Once again, we are so happy to have you aboard, and wishing you the best on your journey!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1