Drapoli

Day Trading from Europe

Hi BBT community,

I am considering moving to Europe (probably Italy) and was wondering if any of you if familiar with trading from the "bel paese" or any other major European Country. In Italy taxes on capital gains are now 26% (they used to be 12.5% a few years ago). However, trading commissions seems to be a lot higher than in the US (for IB they are 0.1% of trade value; min: EUR 4; max: EUR 29....much higher than in the US for high volumes). I am not familiar with European brokers but will try find out more. Meanwhile, I would appreciate if you could share your knowledge/experience on this matter. 

Thanks and ciao.

I lived in Spain and Portugal a few years ago and traded from those countries. The internet speed might be a concern in Italy. I didn't really have issues with the speeds where I was, Lisbon, and Valencia. Being a US citizen I didn't change anything with my accounts. No tax issues or anything since I was not a resident in Europe. I am guessing you are from Italy or another Euro country so you might need to deal with the local taxes. They sound very high and could be hard to be net profitable. If you are from the US you just live anywhere and trade, and pay the taxes, or not if you lose money 🙂

Hi Drapoli, am living in germany and moving to spain. Taxes are approx 23% there.

i am trading with IB here. At present the account is in Ireland. As i trade only in us market i have the same fees as in us. German or european markets are not so volatile for daytrading and options hence i dont trade there.. saves the hugh fees too 🙂

brgds

tom

Hi sorry, can I get a little clarity on this? I'm moving to Scotland for a year to work in a UK university - I'd like to continue trading while I'm there. I'm a US citizen - do I need to change accounts? Can I trade with my IB account, and just pay US taxes on it? Or since I will have a job in the UK...do I need to worry about UK taxes? Thanks for any insight anyone can give. 

Hi!

Would like to refresh topic since it's been 2 years since conversation. I just starting my learning process with BBT but I'm based in UK. Won't have problem with being available to trade on US market but does anyone has experience trading in EU markets? Would you have any recommendation for brokers/trading platforms here in Europe or going with IB and DAS Trader still will be best option especially if I plan to start with very small account? I'm not planning to trade live probably within next 12 months but would be nice to match simulator to future platform!  Any dos or/and don'ts? I'm already self-employed for last few years in UK so I can imagine self-assesment process won't be much different for day trading but if anyone had some experience with trading from Europe nowadays any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Mat