PeterNL

IB for Europeans: some questions

Hi,

In april my SIM account ends and I want to go live trading. My eye is on IB, but I can not get all the relevant information from their website nor from th BBT-forum. So I'll just throw it in here.

1. Is there an emailaddress where I can reach IB as a prospective client? On the website this is not possible. It leads to FAQ's. If I have that emailaddress, I can send some of my questions to them. But so far, I'll place them here.

2. Are there promotions and/or discounts for members of the BBT-community? If yes, which are these?

3. Is it possible to wire money through Paypal? While it is extremely difficult to get a foreign exchange account here in the Netherlands. And I don't want to lose too much money on financing my bank with exchanging euro's to dollars and vice versa.

4. Are there costs for wiring money from a foreign country?

5. Costs for platform DAS and Market data is still $ 150?

6. Are the costs for DAS waived at some point (number of shares traded)?

7. Does PDT rule apply for non-US residents?

8. Any other non-us and non-canadian residents with BBT using IB?

Thanks a lot for your answer(s)!

Thanks Peter!

That bonus-thing might be interesting, although one of the reasons I'm into IB is the low commission.

What country are you from?

21 hours ago, Marek said:

Peter, I have used Transferwise to wire money to Europe and Asia....it's easy, fast and a lot cheaper than using my regular bank for smaller amounts. Arrival was usually same day or latest within 2 days.

Hi Marek. This might be the solution to my 'problem'! Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Have you tried Degiro. Appararently they offer one of the chepest fee structure. Eur 0.5 + $0.004. I sent them an email and yet to hear back.

I am also in touch with IB UK for opening the account. Do we have any special discount or Offer with IB?

BTW, they confirmed,

1) they only accept wires from bank accounts with identical account titles as the IB account, (No transferwise). 

2)Between IB UK and IB USA - the features, the fee structure and everything else is identical. I won't have access to US mutual funds or certain non PRIIPs compliant ETFs. (I don't think this is an issue) 
3) they couldn't confirm if DAS will work with IB, but since it works for most of our traders, I assume it shouldn't be a problem.
4) minimum activity fee is USD 10, which is then offset by the commissions generated.

On 3/15/2019 at 6:55 PM, IamKarthi said:

Have you tried Degiro. Appararently they offer one of the chepest fee structure. Eur 0.5 + $0.004. I sent them an email and yet to hear back.

I am also in touch with IB UK for opening the account. Do we have any special discount or Offer with IB?

BTW, they confirmed,

1) they only accept wires from bank accounts with identical account titles as the IB account, (No transferwise). 

2)Between IB UK and IB USA - the features, the fee structure and everything else is identical. I won't have access to US mutual funds or certain non PRIIPs compliant ETFs. (I don't think this is an issue) 
3) they couldn't confirm if DAS will work with IB, but since it works for most of our traders, I assume it shouldn't be a problem.
4) minimum activity fee is USD 10, which is then offset by the commissions generated.

Hi IamKarthi,

Thanks for your information. From what country are you trading?

I've watched the sites of Degiro, Lynx and TradersOnly, but I wonder if they have at least the following options: Simulator, Hotkeys, Level2 and ECN. And DAS would be great, but I don't think they have that. 

Anybody using one of these European brokers?

I decided to just open an account with IB and see how it all works. It is probably impossible to visit the US-based website of IB, so I applied to the UK-based IB.

In my account I cannot see the DAS platform, neither can I find if it is even possible to trade with the DAS platform. Can it be that this will be shown after I funded some money?

Or am I not looking right?

I can see the TWS, but I don't know if that is working as good as DAS.