Rob C

Diet and trading

The link below is to a BBC program where they had twins both day trade on different diets. The one on the Keto diet (which is the one I am on) did poorly. Essentially the program is helping to deter the use of the Keto diet. They briefly interviewed a professor from Tufts University.

Now if you go to the second link it discusses the results from the Tufts University experiment. The results are not as cut and dry as the BBC program. The results state there was a decrease in memory for the Keto diet (compared to low calorie dieters), but the Keto dieters had a better "attention vigilance". Now for someone like myself who mostly trades at the open, I prefer the improved attention over the memory.  

Please have a look and let me know your take on it. Thanks.

BBC program (you have to scroll down a bit to see the video):

http://10xroitradingsystem.com/could-your-diet-be-affecting-your-trading/

The study from Tufts:

https://now.tufts.edu/news-releases/low-carb-diets

Seems the link will not go directly to the news article. You have to type "low carb diets" in the search to get to the article. Sorry.

Edited by Rob C

I'm glad you found it interesting. I wish they had data on vegan and trading as well. 

I did find the Keto diet gave me better attention. It took about two months. Now was it the diet itself or the diet gave me more energy to exercise more and that in turn improved my attention? That I don't know. I am just glad it improved.

As for memory... Before I changed to the Keto diet I was working on improving my sleep quality, which I accomplished very successful (and surprisingly). This greatly improved my memory. So if there was a memory drop due to the diet, It was just a small pullback to the improvement and not noticeable.

These are interesting, but I wouldn’t consider it science. 

Maybe it’s because my personal experience with Keto has been completely different.

The BBC program: there are soooooo many other variables than the twins diets that would impact their ability to learn in one morning about charts and day trading, that I take absolutely nothing from this little experiment.

Tufts study: the problem here is using the “low carb diet” for one week. The study should have actually looked at the people AFTER they were in ketosis for a while, they probably didn’t even get into ketosis in one week.  So I agree with the study in part, because while your brain is switching from glucose to ketones, yeah, it’s a bit foggy. But once it switches and your body “heals” your brain starts firing much quicker.

My personal experience with the Keto diet has been great. Besides the weight loss, the best way I was able to describe the change in my brain. Before when asked a question, sometimes I would have to “search” my brain for an answer, kind of like, try to think back and link some things together to remember things. In ketosis, the answer is usually there immediately, no searching was required.

example: where did I put my coffee, before ketosis: trace my steps back, think of what I did thirty minutes ago, oh yeah I was in the bathroom, then went to my desk and set my cup down

in ketosis: onmy desk, I’m not sure if the other mental steps are completely skipped over, or if they are just blasted through at hyper speed. Either way, the result is the same, quicker answers to the question.

My concentration was also boosted, ive heard people talk about the effects of aderol on their concentration level, the way they explain it is how I feel when I’m in ketosis.

Basically when I’m in ketosis the “brain fog” feels like it’s just lifted away.

• Like 2

If you don’t have a mountain to climb, find one.

1 hour ago, hailchaser2 said:

These are interesting, but I wouldn’t consider it science. 

Maybe it’s because my personal experience with Keto has been completely different.

The BBC program: there are soooooo many other variables than the twins diets that would impact their ability to learn in one morning about charts and day trading, that I take absolutely nothing from this little experiment.

Tufts study: the problem here is using the “low carb diet” for one week. The study should have actually looked at the people AFTER they were in ketosis for a while, they probably didn’t even get into ketosis in one week.  So I agree with the study in part, because while your brain is switching from glucose to ketones, yeah, it’s a bit foggy. But once it switches and your body “heals” your brain starts firing much quicker.

My personal experience with the Keto diet has been great. Besides the weight loss, the best way I was able to describe the change in my brain. Before when asked a question, sometimes I would have to “search” my brain for an answer, kind of like, try to think back and link some things together to remember things. In ketosis, the answer is usually there immediately, no searching was required.

example: where did I put my coffee, before ketosis: trace my steps back, think of what I did thirty minutes ago, oh yeah I was in the bathroom, then went to my desk and set my cup down

in ketosis: onmy desk, I’m not sure if the other mental steps are completely skipped over, or if they are just blasted through at hyper speed. Either way, the result is the same, quicker answers to the question.

My concentration was also boosted, ive heard people talk about the effects of aderol on their concentration level, the way they explain it is how I feel when I’m in ketosis.

Basically when I’m in ketosis the “brain fog” feels like it’s just lifted away.

Agreed. I didn't feel the concentration improvement until about 3 weeks on the Keto diet. So the study was too short.

Love the diet topic.  I converted to plant based diet 2.5 years ago for endurance running reasons.  I tried Keto twice througout 2017 however found getting to ketosis had pretty bad effects on my in both energy (made running long a challenge) and also my mental state.   I'd read so much on the benefits of the keto diet once you can make your body switch however I just failed to achieve it.

In Sept 2017 I started to follow some ultra runners who were vegan/plant based so decided to give it a go.   Now for me (I can of course only speak for me) I found it fantastic.   I went from 196lb to 168lb and lost 10% body fat - my energy levels shot up and my recovery rates from running were amazing.   I also noticed a uplift in my concentration levels however I now think this was more due to the reduction in sugar - something that came natural from converting to a whole food plant based diet.

I am a little jealous of people who managed to succeed in Keto as I it does suit ultra running so much - fuelling on internal fats when your body needs it is fantastic - so good work!!!

For info both times I tried Keto I did it strict for 10 weeks and then 8 weeks respectively - it may have just not been enough time however I found running anything over 10 miles almost impossible without the carb intake.

Kaine

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kaine said:

Love the diet topic.  I converted to plant based diet 2.5 years ago for endurance running reasons.  I tried Keto twice througout 2017 however found getting to ketosis had pretty bad effects on my in both energy (made running long a challenge) and also my mental state.   I'd read so much on the benefits of the keto diet once you can make your body switch however I just failed to achieve it.

In Sept 2017 I started to follow some ultra runners who were vegan/plant based so decided to give it a go.   Now for me (I can of course only speak for me) I found it fantastic.   I went from 196lb to 168lb and lost 10% body fat - my energy levels shot up and my recovery rates from running were amazing.   I also noticed a uplift in my concentration levels however I now think this was more due to the reduction in sugar - something that came natural from converting to a whole food plant based diet.

I am a little jealous of people who managed to succeed in Keto as I it does suit ultra running so much - fuelling on internal fats when your body needs it is fantastic - so good work!!!

For info both times I tried Keto I did it strict for 10 weeks and then 8 weeks respectively - it may have just not been enough time however I found running anything over 10 miles almost impossible without the carb intake.

Kaine

Yes I found vegan diet the best for energy. But my hair falls out each time I am on that diet. I assume it is due to lack of fat, but I ate a ton of nuts and avocados. I then switched to lacto-ovo veg diet with so-so energy results. I finally went Keto but not completely. By def it is <50g carbs a day and I tend to intake about 80g. I love my legumes so I tend to over shoot the carb limit. But I try to eat low glycemic legumes to compensate. It was a little strange to make my chili with red kidney beans, but you get use to it.

I did find more energy with the Keto diet, but I think it is indirect effect. I think my intermittent fasting gives me the energy, I tried IM on the veg diet and found it difficult. But it is easy on Keto.

As for running on Keto? Your post is quite timely. Yes I am finding it difficult and was trying to figure out how to fix it. I was hoping to train for a trail marathon for this summer. But I don't have the energy for long runs anymore. So I am experimenting with my diet now. Hopefully I find something that works by Spring.

Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

Fortunately I don't have much hair on my head but I would have to stop if my beard starts to disappear haha.

The biggest mistake I made initially with plant based was watching calorie intake - I continued to use my BMR as base line (1800 calories) and added extra for training days.  Slowly I found it harder and harder until a coach I now said I was eating way less than the pro triathletes he trains but I was still training similar hours.   So I upped my base line calorie intake to 3000 a day and immediately found improvements.  What was most interesting though was I just didn't increase weight at all - my meals are now just much much bigger which is superb 🙂

Good luck with your trail marathon training - trail running is my favourite 

Kaine

Edited by Kaine
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Brendon said:

I just lift, I lift heavy when im green, so I lift heavy all the time

👍

On 2/9/2020 at 8:47 PM, Rob C said:

Yes I found vegan diet the best for energy. But my hair falls out each time I am on that diet. I assume it is due to lack of fat, but I ate a ton of nuts and avocados. I then switched to lacto-ovo veg diet with so-so energy results. I finally went Keto but not completely. By def it is <50g carbs a day and I tend to intake about 80g. I love my legumes so I tend to over shoot the carb limit. But I try to eat low glycemic legumes to compensate. It was a little strange to make my chili with red kidney beans, but you get use to it.

I did find more energy with the Keto diet, but I think it is indirect effect. I think my intermittent fasting gives me the energy, I tried IM on the veg diet and found it difficult. But it is easy on Keto.

As for running on Keto? Your post is quite timely. Yes I am finding it difficult and was trying to figure out how to fix it. I was hoping to train for a trail marathon for this summer. But I don't have the energy for long runs anymore. So I am experimenting with my diet now. Hopefully I find something that works by Spring.

Thanks for the post.

Great topic, one of my big interests.

If you don't have energy for long runs it is probably either that you are not keto adapted, or that you don't eat enough protein.  If you are keto adapted and eat enough protein your muscle glycogen will be similar and the respiratory quotient (how much fat vs carbs you are burning) will be improved. This should lead to enhanced endurance.

See e.g. the faster study: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0026049515003340

Anything other than the american standard diet is an improvement. The body cannot handle large amounts of carbs and fat at the same time. 

You can either select a high carb diet (mostly plant based) or a low carb diet (usually more animal based). People have found success with both approaches.

Personally I find it very difficult to get all micro nutrient on a plant based diet and my stomach cannot really handle too much plants. I also like the animal foods more so my approach is low carb with 95% animal products (carnivorish). I don't think it is a good idea with strict keto because you don't get enough protein to handle hard physical activities. When you eat low carb with high protein you will go in and out of ketosis, which is enough to get the benefits from ketones.

• Like 2