Mark D.

Mark D. Day Trading Journal - Live 2019

Week 31 Recap

Rough week for me. Hit my usual 33% win percentage but none of my winners were greater than 1R. Decided to start taking more live trades at the open and I just got beat up Thursday and Friday. Back to my slower trades after the first 15 minutes are over.

·         Weekly stats

o   2.5 planned R/R (Goal: above 3.0) [Previous Week: 2.4]

o   45/48 94% (Goal: above 80%) [Previous Week: 100%]

o   -$73.67 (Goal: $150) [Previous Week: $5.56]

o   4/12 33% trades with the trend (Goal: 100%) [Previous Week: 33%]

o   5/12 42% Non-optimal Entries (Goal: 0%) [Previous Week: 33%]

o   0/12 0% Letting Losers Run (Goal: 0%) [Previous Week: 0%]

o   2/12 17% No Setup (Goal: 0%) [Previous Week: 33%]

o   4/12 33% true win percentage (Goal 45%) [Previous Week: 33%]

·         Highlights

o   All stops respected

o   Added rules for position sizing

o   Had a good 3R trade in MYL that would have worked had I not given up on it

·         Ongoing things to work on

o   Have to capitalize on winning trades

o   Practice taking all setups next week

o   Better entries

1449524797_RECAPE.png.71d41c1fe64ce3ac27dbabe6d9513d25.pngRECAP.png.15135b6b0031340b1c03a771f4e18588.png

• Like 2

Monday August 5th, 2019

Sleep: 7 hours. Mood: good, ready to trade. I spent a couple hours reviewing all of my July trades and i'm working on making a longer post this week but from my initial pass it looks like when i'm wrong, i'm immediately wrong and when i'm right, i'm catching a nice 3-4R move. i looked in to scaling out more but only on two or three trades would that have made sense last month. Goal moving forward is to stick to my 3R range orders and just  try and make sure i'm taking setups that i'm comfortable with and getting good entries. Giving up on the momentum trades again for now, they're just not in my wheelhouse. 

First trade of the day was in TWTR. almost took it short on the new 5min low at 10 but it wasn't a good R/R to the LOTD so i held out. played this as an MA trend plus reverse ABCD. stop was a new 5min high, got in at the break of the first 2min low after touching the 9MA on the 2min chart. Almost got stopped out, it came within 4 cents of my stop but then it started making a descending wedge and once it broke lower, it hit my 3R profit target. 

GOOD: stuck with my trade, went according to plan

RFI: could have got a better entry

MOOD: good

CONSISTENT: yes.

114819003_217TWTRMATRENDA.thumb.png.e53b1e9ae4a883d16a263e26e48ec7a7.png

2059797162_217TWTRMATRENDC.thumb.png.48c22e55ed8195e800be016eb954b08b.png

What i did good today: took one good trade

What i did bad today: still taking entries at new lows and not on pullbacks

What can i do better tomorrow: wait for better entries

• Like 3

Tuesday August 6th, 2019

sleep: 6.5 hours. Mood: good, ready to trade. a little tired. 

no trades today. didn't like anything for ORBs and i almost too ACB on an ABCD but after making a new 2min high, it didn't have the momentum to move higher so i didn't get in. like SQ for an ORBD but i didn't like the 200 and 50 MA on the 5 minute chart at the time but looking back i could have used those as profit target. i thought the price would just bounce around the two. missed two more short entries at pullbacks to the MAs in SQ. oh well. 

• Like 2

Wednesday August 7th, 2019

Sleep: 7 hours. Mood: busy with work stuff all premarket. 

didn't take any live trades again. i wanted to take the WW ABCD but the spread was high and as soon as it broke the new 2min high it jumped 30 cents and i didn't want to chase it. took another ABCD in WW but in sim. it is currently in my favor 1R but i don't know if it's going to hit my PT. i did not take this one live either because it's getting later in the day and it looked like it wasn't going to break the $29 level so i took sim just to keep myself from taking a dumb live trade. 

1663638717_WWACBD.thumb.png.a8133c05f2a10b5bab3ab30682ebef37.png

My fear of entry is starting to worry me on the surface but the more i think about it the more i'm fine with it. my immediate concern is that if i keep missing these good trades i'm going to end up FOMO'ing a bad trade. I seem to be oscillating between overconfidence causing me to take too many trades and being too fearful to take a good ones. That being said, i think one of the most important parts of trading is finding that sweet spot between fear and overconfidence and i see my current situation as part of the learning process that will help me eventually get it right. 

• Like 3

Thursday August 8th, 2019

Sleep: 7.5 hours, Mood: good, ready to trade, quiet morning. 

Only took one trade today. i took an ascending wedge in AMD. After watching Aiman's recaps, all i'm seeing are wedges! i got in right at the break of HOTD. I was nervous about this trade because i get burned a lot taking trades at day lows and highs. i ended up taking off half at a daily level that i was thinking was 2:1 but realized it was only 1R. sold another half when it was hesitating to go higher and the final piece at 3R with a new 5min low. i should have just set my 3R range order and sat on my hands but i just didn't have the confidence this was going to work. i was planning on adding more on a pullback to the 9EMA on the 2min but it never happened. 

GOOD: took a trade! 

RFI: partialled too early

MOOD: good

CONSISTENT: no, selling was not to plan.

2113061558_AMDWEDGEA.thumb.png.2b0a492249c0b98764b90083d871ce29.png

1562832063_AMDWEDGEC.thumb.png.b213662b38d3c009f3e3e81c8ad311eb.png

What i did good today: took a good trade

What i did bad today: nerves killed my exit strategy

What can i do better tomorrow: stick to 3R plan.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mark D. said:

i ended up taking off half at a daily level that i was thinking was 2:1 but realized it was only 1R. sold another half when it was hesitating to go higher and the final piece at 3R with a new 5min low. i should have just set my 3R range order and sat on my hands but i just didn't have the confidence this was going to work. i was planning on adding more on a pullback to the 9EMA on the 2min but it never happened. 

Without seeing what the LVL2 was doing I feel like these were good partials........ Great trade IMO...... I do like to partial though to lock up profit and move my stops........

Edited by Glenn Budde
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Glenn Budde said:

Without seeing what the LVL2 was doing I feel like these were good partials........ Great trade IMO...... I do like to partial though to lock up profit and move my stops........

Thank you! You're right, I just don't like the total return less than 2R

Edited by Mark D.
  • Like 2

Friday August 9th, 2019

Sleep: 7 hours. Mood: good, ready to trade. quiet morning.

no trades today. didn't like the market action in the first hour so i didn't take any live trades. took some sim trades in the afternoon. one in AMD worked great, got chopped up in MU

• Like 1

Week 32 Recap

Ok week for me. Two live trades both winners. I regret not taking a couple other trades I was on Tuesday and Wednesday. Friday, I saw a trade in the afternoon that I almost took live but didn’t because I don’t trade in the afternoon but it ended up being a great trade.

·         Weekly stats

o   2.9 planned R/R (Goal: above 3.0) [Previous Week: 2.5]

o   8/8 100% (Goal: above 80%) [Previous Week: 94%]

o   $41.50 (Goal: $150) [Previous Week: -$73.67]

o   2/2 100% trades with the trend (Goal: 100%) [Previous Week: 33%]

o   ½ 50% Non-optimal Entries (Goal: 0%) [Previous Week: 42%]

o   0/2 0% Letting Losers Run (Goal: 0%) [Previous Week: 0%]

o   0/2 0% No Setup (Goal: 0%) [Previous Week: 17%]

o   2/2 100% true win percentage (Goal 45%) [Previous Week: 33%]

·         Highlights

o   All green trades this week

o   Great handle on emotions

o   Taking 1 live trade a day seems to be the right thing to do.

·         Ongoing things to work on

o   Have to take that 1 trade everyday

o   Try next week to take 1 live trade every day.

o   I’d like to work on my ORB setup in sim next week

o   Keep working on sticking to 3R range orders.

Recap.png.e0f780cb15f0982a5be4043c62c659c0.png1274306380_erecap.png.ebdf0ada8ee6825604360c0c9dda38a6.png

• Like 2

Monday August 12th, 2019

Sleep: 7 hours. Mood: good, ready to trade. 

first trade was a 2min ABCD in FTCH. didn't take it the first one for the ORB because i didn't like the spread. then i didn't take the second one out of fear, finally took it on a pullback with a new 2min high hammer. great entry. it went up close to the HOTD but couldn't punch through and i got stopped out. 

GOOD: entry, R/R, exit at stop

RFI: felt the trade wasn't going to have the volume and momentum to follow though on the move. gut was right. 

MOOD: fine, glad i got out at my stop

CONSISTENT: yes, exactly to plan

773486190_219-FTCHABCDA.thumb.png.d95015af35b419a137b4bd7f47befb63.png

1992928081_FTCHABCDC.thumb.png.8facc9c0ff7bbfb272146af86b82fa18.png

i noticed in my July trade review session that if i get stopped out. I pretty much always stop out on the next trade so I was thinking about only taking 1 trade a day to combat this. i decided though that i can't just take a 1R loss and be done with my day every time i stop out on my first trade so i took another trade in FTCH. it looked like it found a bottom and came up above VWAP and was holding the MAs on the 2min chart. i waited for an entry right on the MAs. nailed the entry, it just couldn't get the momentum to make a new highs and once it made a new 5min low, it dumped. i blame myself for not getting out on that new 5min low. i half figured that it might do a fake out and head higher but i should have been watching, instead i chose to shut the window and use the bathroom. got stopped out at my original 1R loss. 

GOOD: entry, stop loss level, setup

RFI: should have got out earlier. 

MOOD: disappointed to start the week down -2R

CONSISTENT: could have bailed earlier but i stuck to my plan. 

221584190_220-FTCHMATRENDA.thumb.png.4fd3baf17697211561e501ca897e5024.png

1345267166_220-FTCHMATRENDC.thumb.png.21ce5a50a41a4174540fe49f6c40f4f8.png

took a reverse ABCD in AMD on SIM that worked perfectly. should have just waited for that setup. didn't take it live because i'm at my max daily loss and it would just stop me out the moment i get in. 

What i did good today: did a great job with my entries and exits today.

What i did bad today: traded FTCH which didn't have the volume to follow through on moves. 

What can i do better tomorrow: stop revenge trading the same stock i get stopped out in. 

Edited by Mark D.
  • Like 4

Tuesday August 13th, 2019

Sleep: 8 hours. Mood: good, ready to trade. 

took one trade in $MU. tried to do a 15MIN ABCD. got in on a new 2min high with volume on the 2min chart. it did a 2min engulfing the next candle which is a signal for me to get out but instead i held to my stop loss. 

GOOD: entry was good, stop loss was appropriate 

RFI: too flat for a true ABCD. had an early exit signal that i ignored. 

MOOD: frustrated

CONSISTENT: yes, stuck to my plan

1201186613_221MUABCDA.thumb.png.0639c163cfa3c4a4f67d7e749b115742.png

853999520_221MUABCDC.thumb.png.c9c32fc1ad0224b8b78cff29eb56c1bc.png

What i did good today: waited for an entry on volume, stuck to my stop

What i did bad today: I want to practice getting out of trades when i see clear indication is't not working and i should have done that today but i didn't

What can i do better tomorrow: keep taking setups. 

Other comments for tomorrow: i want to keep trading but i'm tilted now so i'm just going to trade in sim. i do feel like i'm going a little crazy because i see the things i need to do after the fact but then everyday i keep repeating the same mistakes over and over. there's really nothing else to do besides keep practicing but it does feel like walking through quicksand some days. 

Edited by Mark D.
  • Like 3

Wednesday August 14th, 2019

Sleep: 6:45. Mood: good, excited to trade but feeling cautious this morning after Monday and Tuesday's results. 

Saw the harmonious short in AMD. it broke the pre-market low and was down trending on all the time frames. i waited for a pullback to the pre-market and even dollar $31 for the entry but pulled the trigger a little early. set my profit target for 3R and once it never really got close to my stop, hit my profit target on the second LOTD break. Extremely happy with this trade. 

GOOD: setup, R/R, entry, exit. well executed trade. 

RFI: could have got a better entry

MOOD: pride. feel really great getting one trade that puts me flat for the week

CONSISTENT: yes

262580308_222AMDORBDA.thumb.png.a2573bee33cc8aa71df4713a45a7e1ce.png

289038767_222AMDORBDC.thumb.png.fd2b7924264a58a663fe5ea2cd046b17.png

What i did good today: pushed myself to take a trade in the first 15 minutes

What i did bad today: could have got a little bit better entry

What can i do better tomorrow: keep trading good setups

• Like 2

13 hours ago, IamKarthi said:

Very nice trade on $AMD. Great entry and AON exit.

thank you sir!