ALG

Hotkeys: button in DAS vs key on keyboard

Can anyone provide feedback for hotkeys, as in setting up a key on your keyboard (ex. F1 = buy 400 shares) vs having a button that you click with your mouse within DAS Montage where it will, for example, buy 400 shares?

With my limited hotkey experience up to this point, I'm liking the buttons within DAS Montage but I don't see or hear of many people talk about that vs shortcuts on keys on the keyboard.

I probably am not the best person to offer advice or feedback as I only began following BBT and Andrew and simulator trading since the first of the year. However, I can at least offer my experience and thoughts thus far. Initially I started using the buttons you referenced in the DAS montage, but over the span of the last month I have transitioned to using keyboard shortcuts. Really I suppose if I had to nail down my main reason it would be the fact that I have to take my eyes off of the price action to use the montage buttons. That coupled with the fact that I have to manually type in share amounts, take time to move hand from keyboard to mouse, move mouse... You can still do these quickly, but in this business where I can already tell every second matters, the keyboard hotkeys give me the fastest reaction time I have found yet. I can get in and out as fast as I can hit two keys, or sell half my position as many times as I want all without taking my eyes off the price or moving my hand. I started with Andrews recommended hotkey setup, but soon altered it to better suit my account and preferred position sizes. I will include a screen cap below in case it helps.

I apologize for the length of the reply and lack of experience to back up my advice, but I wanted to offer something in response to your query. My limited experience at this time is all I have to offer. I hope it helps!

NOTE: OK so it wouldn't let me post a screen cap for some reason, but I will post my main hotkeys I use for transactions in case they are of assistance.

Shift + 1: Sell full postion

Shift + 2: Sell half

Shift + 3: Cover full

Shift + 4: Cover half

Shift + Q: Buy 2000 @ ask +.10

Shift + R: Short 2000 @ bid -.10

Shift + Y: Buy 1000 @ ask +.10

Shift + O: Short 1000 @ bid -.10

Shift + A: Buy 500 @ ask +.10

Shift + F: Short 500 @ bid -.10

Shift + Z: Buy 100 @ ask +.10

Shift + V: Short 100 @ bid -.10

On 1/23/2018 at 11:39 AM, ALG said:

Can anyone provide feedback for hotkeys, as in setting up a key on your keyboard (ex. F1 = buy 400 shares) vs having a button that you click with your mouse within DAS Montage where it will, for example, buy 400 shares?

With my limited hotkey experience up to this point, I'm liking the buttons within DAS Montage but I don't see or hear of many people talk about that vs shortcuts on keys on the keyboard.

I purposefully discontinued using hot keys, as well as a number of moderators, explicitly because it made me more impulsive with my trading.  Hot buttons were a catalyst for my success.

I stopped making hot key errors, and I certainly took less stupid trades after I stopped using hotkeys.  The trigger finger is no joke, better to see what you are clicking.  

If you can’t take your eyes off of the price action for 1 second to click a button, you are trading way too low of a time frame for  your experience level IMO.

Edited by Bailey Nevener