Lee W

Introduce Yourself!

hi all,

I've been a member for around a month, trading live with a $40K account for a few months with a very choppy equity curve. I raised my trading capital by doing mostly large cap swing trades with a more traditional broker and loved it. After about a year of that I was seeing good growth and started researching more aggressive day trading. I am a woman and have a few female friends who have traded over the years, some very successfully with high 6 figure incomes. I sometimes find the online trading community in general to be too bro-y and struggle with how male oriented even the metaphors and terms are. 

I have tried several other communities and find BBT to be very chill and I love Andrew's style. His books are why I joined here! I am in my early 40s in a major east coast city. 

I have my own creative design practice which I run from a home office. My mornings are free for trading and I am hoping that trading can stabilize my income which can be seasonal. My husband is also an entrepreneur having owned several businesses since his teens. I am definitely not a risk averse person and when I go red, I go really red because I jump in feet first but I can't sustain the 3 x 5K drawdowns I've had recently. I am taking a week off of trading to calm down and settle in to some new rules with just watching, I track my trades in Tradervue and I am working on scheduling meetings and work that start at 11am EST so that I have to stop trading. I am up just about every day at 11am but then I keep trading and give it all back and then some. My biggest losses come in the afternoon so while that should be an easy rule to follow, because I'm self employed and home it's hard to not see if anything is moving and jump in. I'm likely too comfortable with losses because having owned our own businesses for so long, we're used to seeing loss years and up years. I've had my business for 9 years and the growth line is just as choppy as my current equity curve. Being self employed requires that you have faith in your abilities to make it work even when things aren't going your way but at the same time, I am not made of money and can't afford to feed my trading account 5K every month forever. My daily goal is about 3% and my new daily stop loss is 1%. My winning days are around $600-$1000 but my loss days are so brutal that the winning days don't matter at this time. I sometimes feel like the only one who doesn't have a healthy sense of risk, everyone seems to be so good about stopping out or being cautious. 

I have many interests outside of my design work and I am hoping that after a year or so of trading that I'll be able to work on a passion project that has eluded me for years due to lack of time and spare funds.

Trading Details: I trade on a new 2018 iMac Pro with mid priced drives, I run VMware Fusion for trading with current Windows. I use Lightspeed, TC2000 and Trade Ideas which all fit on my Dell 43" monitor. I prefer this setup to multiple monitors and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cleaner setup. Macs can only support 2 additional monitors so the one big monitor was the best choice for me. I generally run chat and browser windows on my Mac screen. I started tracking in Tradervue in September and keep our financial records in Quickbooks. 

2 hours ago, Jason W said:

Hello guys:

I'm Jason W in the chat. 

My favorite person in the chat room is Lee W. He knows everything and he stops me from doing stupid shit sometimes.

Lol. You only think I know everything. I really don’t know anything, aside from how to be the first person in the chat each morning. I’m glad I’m someone’s favorite, though.  This encourages me to be the best I can be.  All for you, boo. Lol

One day I’m going to make my way to California. It has been many many years since I’ve visited.  Roll out the red carpet!

Hello everyone,

First of all I am delighted to join the community.
French, born in 1981, happy in marriage and happy father of a son born in 2015 and a little princess just born in July 2018.
My goal is quite simple: to get out of my job full time. Engineer in civil engineering I manage daily complex construction projects. It is interesting but I do not wish to make a career in this environment.
I trained in swing trading for a year, without losing or winning fainal. As the markets are more and more unstable I prefer to evolve towards intraday trading.
The US market opens at 3:30 pm in France in full working day and in the evening I have my family life. I have my Tuesday afternoon to trade quietly from home, the rest of the week I trade from a small laptop as soon as possible connected to the internet of my mobile phone.

laptop.thumb.jpg.a75666ca73426bb2344f5a2165e4ec3a.jpg

The challenge is very difficult. But I'm a fan of this quote: "They did not know it was impossible so they did it".
I take all your advice and I wish you a very green success!

• Like 2

Hi All,

Having recently joined, posting in this particular thread seemed like a sensible thing to do. I have recently moved to the Vancouver area from the UK and have been exploring the idea of day trading. I came across Andrew's book 'How to day trade for a living', and like many of you, found inspiration in this. I certainly agree that being part of a community of like-minded individuals, and having those more experienced than yourself to learn from is a positive step in the right direction in learning a new skill, and so I proceeded to join the community. Am currently on sim, and am enjoying the experience thus far. It's great to be able to see and hear Andrew trading to get a feel for the way he trades, whilst at the same time seeing what other experiencing traders as well as the community are also thinking. I think the review of trades near the later part of the trading day is a great thing way to expedite the learning process and am finding it very useful myself. 

Looking forward to more practicing, learning, helping other where I can and actually meeting members in person!

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 9:35 AM, QiRa said:

I am a woman and have a few female friends who have traded over the years, some very successfully with high 6 figure incomes. I sometimes find the online trading community in general to be too bro-y and struggle with how male oriented even the metaphors and terms are. 

We try to keep the bro talk to a minimum, as we have quite a few female members. Let us know if it is ever out of hand.

1 minute ago, jeremymarlowe said:

Jeremy in North Carolina.

I dabbled in day trading a few years ago, like an idiot, with no education or training. I was lucky not to lose too much money, but I lost enough to believe I wasn’t capable of day trading for a living.

So, despite having no interest in the law whatsoever, I became a lawyer. I currently have a solo practice focused on plaintiff-side employment discrimination. I have also become the most cynical person in the world.

Over the last several years, day trading has been like the ex-girlfriend I never stopped thinking about. I always felt like I gave up too soon and that I was a few adjustments away from becoming consistently profitable. When I read Andrew’s books I realized the numerous, specific reasons I failed, all of which I attribute to a lack of education and training. 

I’ve stopped taking new clients and I closed out most of my cases so I can focus on learning to trade. I am fortunate to be in a position to take as much time off as I need without feeling any pressure. I joined this community today and I plan to spend a few months working in the simulator after I’ve gone through the lessons.

Welcome! I look forward to seeing you in chat.

Robert - Indiana

Brand new student here, observing, asking, and learning are my current objectives.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away-- I did some reading on the market, and investing. I soaked up books on the subject whenever I could during my deployments. I believe planning for the future helped me maintain my sanity, and its been a whisper in the back of my mind ever since. I went on to get my degree in social sciences education, and then not work in a related field. I'm a lineman by trade. The money is what drew me in but I have no love for the job. My body does not agree with me as it used to, nor do I feel challenged, rewarded or fulfilled at the end of the day. Furthermore, my coworkers don't want to see their families near as much as they want to see the next overtime check. Don't get me wrong, I am still thankful for my gainful employment, but I do love my wife and I want to be home to enjoy our life.

The end goal -- trade full time. I have no plans to quit my job in the foreseeable future, so don't worry. Although, I'm sharing all this with you because I want and will take advice from this community into serious consideration.

I have a small passive income of 1600/month, and I have the option to get paid to go back to school as well. It would be about the same amount every month, probably a bit less (3k-ish totoal, enough to pay the bills for sure). I am not entering the simulator yet because I cannot be at my computer during market hours, save Monday. You'll catch me in the chatroom every Monday I don't work OT 🙂

My current training (three months), aside from consuming literature and the classes now offered to me here, consists of trying to find stocks that may in play before and during my first hour of work. I can only look  for the catalysts. Upon returning home my wife tells me what stocks you traded that day. She also informs me on what you traded on the day I'm about to see on thinkorswim's on demand feature as I cannot simulate the current date. I trade, watch your recaps and recap my own day.

I'm quite happy I found this community, I did a lot of shopping around in those three months, and this community stood out to us as the best choice. I'm also excited because I'm confident I possess the self discipline this field requires, both in the long and short terms.

Any advice, critiques or hardy hellos are always welcome!

Thanks in advance for your time. I'm excited to get to know you all.

-Robert

Edited by rmiller.usmc
words
  • Like 1

Hi all!

My name is Peter, I am 49 years old and I live in the Netherlands, in the area of Amsterdam. Since a couple of years I want to become a (profitable!) daytrader. About two years ago I followed a 1-day-course and I went through the undoubtly familiair rollercoaster every daytrader meets at the beginning. In three periods I lost about € 30.000 (earned by hard work!), had sleepless nights, and experienced sites of myself I didn't know so well yet (addicted to gambling for example).

And then, a few months ago I bought this book, from a fellow named Andrew Aziz. Wow, this was a whole different kind of daytrading than I had learned so far! Apparently, the Dutch course contains all the pitfalls. Like Averaging down, no technical analysis, no stop losses, no riskmanagement at all (if you're out of money: exit your trade or deposit more money...).

So now I got excited again and ordered (and read) more books, watched movies/webinars/recaps and last friday: got a lifetime membership with BearBullTraders!

Because of work and travels I will start my course seriously in about three months. That's kind of hard for an impatient person like me, but also a good practice in discipline. In the meantime I'll watch, read and write where possible in this community. 

I am really looking forward to start trading like a pro. My gambling-trading days are behind me and I will make sure that I will become a consistently profitable trader. I have the thrust that this course and community can bring me to a higher level.

Hope to hear from you, to get to know you and maybe some time to meet in person.

Till then: have a good trading day.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Peter de Beir
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter de Beir said:

Hi all!

My name is Peter, I am 49 years old and I live in the Netherlands, in the area of Amsterdam. Since a couple of years I want to become a (profitable!) daytrader. About two years ago I followed a 1-day-course and I went through the undoubtly familiair rollercoaster every daytrader meets at the beginning. In three periods I lost about € 30.000 (earned by hard work!), had sleepless nights, and experienced sites of myself I didn't know so well yet (addicted to gambling for example).

And then, a few months ago I bought this book, from a fellow named Andrew Aziz. Wow, this was a whole different kind of daytrading than I had learned so far! Apparently, the Dutch course contains all the pitfalls. Like Averaging down, no technical analysis, no stop losses, no riskmanagement at all (if you're out of money: exit your trade or deposit more money...).

So now I got excited again and ordered (and read) more books, watched movies/webinars/recaps and last friday: got a lifetime membership with BearBullTraders!

Because of work and travels I will start my course seriously in about three months. That's kind of hard for an impatient person like me, but also a good practice in discipline. In the meantime I'll watch, read and write where possible in this community. 

I am really looking forward to start trading like a pro. My gambling-trading days are behind me and I will make sure that I will become a consistently profitable trader. I have the thrust that this course and community can bring me to a higher level.

Hope to hear from you, to get to know you and maybe some time to meet in person.

Till then: have a good trading day.

Cheers

Peter

Welcome to BBT Peter! The program here is 5 classes, 1 hour max each, you can attend live classes or watch them recorded, so maybe you can get the time to watch them instead of waiting 3 months. Also, make sure to watch all the materials in Education Center  

1 hour ago, Abiel said:

Welcome to BBT Peter! The program here is 5 classes, 1 hour max each, you can attend live classes or watch them recorded, so maybe you can get the time to watch them instead of waiting 3 months. Also, make sure to watch all the materials in Education Center  

Thanks, Abiel! I meant to start the sim in three months. Gives me indeed the time to watch and read all the classes and materials.

My name is Kevin and I've been trading for almost a year now. Still consider myself a beginner and started doing options and long term investing prior to day trading. I've taken another day trading course, but something just wasn't there in terms of help from the company. As today is day 1, I'm getting a lot more from day 1 than I ever did over the course of 3 months in the other. I can't wait to see where things go for me. Looking forward to trading alongside everyone!

Hey all,

Well since I'm going live today - I thought I'd formally introduce myself!  I'm Jeremy - married without kids.  Live in Seattle for the last 5 years but grew up in Redding, CA (made famous by the Carr Fire this summer).  I've worked in retail management for 18 years, the last five being as a Starbucks store manager here in Seattle.  

I've been in simulator since July - and now it's time to add emotion into the mix 😉  I typically trade the 1st hour and then go make coffee for 8 more hours.  Working with the public for so long, and interviewing/hiring so many people over the years, I've developed a strength in reading people... I'm finding that it has helped me read the market too. 

I love all things outdoors, you could consider me a ski bum of sorts in the Winter.  

Many thanks to Andrew and team for all that you do!

See you all in the chat,

J

Hello BBT community,

My name's Gean Oliveira (look for GC in the chatroom) and I live in Toronto. Been trading since 2016 (I thought I knew how to trade until I found Andrew's book) and making mistakes along the way. I am an IT/HR consultant and recently joined the community. I was born in Brazil but Canada is been home for the last 10+ years.

Looking forward to learning from you all.

Best,

Gean

Edited by Robert H
Merged with 'Introduce Yourself!' post

Hello,

My name is Maarten (Martin will be easier for the English-speakers). From Belgium and I have always worked in Financial Analysis/Reporting.

I wanted to try Day Trading in a simulator and if I get consistent (and good) results in the simulator I would like to try trading with real money as well. It would also be cool to meet some people into trading in Belgium and surrounding countries.

All the best,

Maarten.