Lee W

Introduce Yourself!

Hello all,

My name is Ben, I'm from Canada in the area of Calgary AB. (my account name for many things is Thomas, began as a kid and a habit ever since. Call me either lol.) 

My chosen path has always been that of emergency services. In highschool I began as a volunteer Firefighter and progressed by furthering schooling and eventually scoring a Fulltime gig. I quickly turned this into applying to be in a Police force, and have settled there ever since. I found day trading as I took a paid leave of absence for our baby girl (second one). I had 5 months off, and let me tell you, I FOUND day trading. I stumbled right into it, and did it. All of it.

Naturally I'm doer, and being a doer, I jumped in. Everything I have ever done it's been sink or swim, and going in full blast. I believe it has served me well in most every facet except this one. Sadly on my 5 months of leave, I learned MANY lessons. I overtraded and watched the market for sometimes 16 hours a day.... but I lost a large chunk of money. Despite that, the whole thing felt a bit natural. The work mimicked the work I do. Fast judgments in stressful situations, exciting returns, I was at home. Sadly I blew my account up badly. I don't regret it, as I believe I learned invaluable lessons about the market that only big losses can teach...

I began trading with an awful broker, and didn't know the difference. By the time I figured that out, it was too late. I began living and breathing information but I wasn't in the right headspace to be successful, so I bombed with what little I had left. I took a break, and am now hoping to return. (That break consisted of mass research and absorbing any and everything I could.)

I found Andrew's book and read it's entirety in the last couple of days. I had been part of a couple communities, and I believe I am at that cusp of 'getting it' or past the point of just 'survival'. In fact I can FEEL it, and I hope that doesn't sound crazy... whether or not it does, I signed up immediately. 

I'm so excited to be here, and as I read that book I felt like it was no other literature or course I've read yet. Concise, to the point, and unbelievably relatable.

I am READY to start this journey. My career path I believe is not for me anymore. I've spent a lot of time helping, and not helping myself. I want this pursuit for my family and to live a life I can enjoy with them, I don't want to live a life bagged with stranger's problems.

That may have been long winded, but I haven't found a passion like this I first had passion for my other jobs. Sadly those paths are harsh, unrewarding, and lonely. I could do it for the rest of my life, but to look back and not have lived is not what I want anymore. I want more, and I've come here to find it. For me this feels like a fight for my life, and for that reason I am ready to fight for it by giving it the seriousness and attentiveness it requires.  

Once again, lots of wind in the sails there... I'm just very motivated and excited. Thanks for listening if you did, and I hope to make some real connections here with trading, and people. 

• Like 2

Hi All,

My name is Taylor and I live just outside of Toronto, ON.  I have worked for the past 20 years in the financial sector. The last 10 years I have overseen trading technology for investment advisors for a large wealth management firm. However for the last few years I have been dreaming about making a change and day / swing trading has always been a passion.

A recent illness forced me to look deep inside and make a decision to take hold of my dreams.  While I have intermittently day / swing traded over the years I have been looking at other strategies (like the ones here) and want to see if it's a style that will work for me. I have lots of learning to do and look forward to learning from this community.

Edited by Taylorhe
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ptamang1127 said:

Greetings all,

My name is Prabin and live in Monterey, CA (2 hours South from San Jose) but originally from Nepal. I am a researcher in Plant Pathology and currently working as a post-doctoral scholar. Beside a fulltime employee, I always love to learn new things and trading is one of them.

I am a newbie to day trading. I read few books about day trading (by Toni Turner, Andrew Aziz, Nicolas Darvas etc.), and watching youtube videos etc to equip myself with the knowledge about trading. Although I learn and understand something from the book, I don’t know where and how to start and implement the things I learn (very intimidating to me). So, I joined this group in a hope that this group expertise will help me in molding into a successful trader. I know PRACTICE is the key and is even better if it is under the supervision of the experts. I have signed up for DAS trading in simulator for a practice and learning as well.

I look forward to learning more and became a successful trader in coming days.

Prabin

Hi Prabin welcome to BBT!

I´m from Monterrey, México! 😎

In the Education Center you will find a suggested learning pathway so you can organize your learning of day trading. 

EC-header.png

• Haha 1

Hello to all the new Traders!    I just started SIM about 10 days ago, been reading and studying for the past 3 months.     I saw some threads about people seeking trading buddies to bounce off ideas and hold each other accountable as we start this learning journey.     I've spent 20 years in the apparel and headwear industry, but am now focusing on developing my day trading skills and focusing this as my new career.      I'd really like to connect with a few new traders to chat and share success and challenges and bounce off ideas.    If anyone is interested let me know.

Thanks, Bryce (from Brazil).

Hello everyone from Duluth, Georgia, USA! (North of Atlanta, GA)

My name is Brian T. I has just joined the BBT community for a few days.

There are a lot to learn and to practice to be able to a consistent profitable traders. This is all I got after a few days playing around in Education Center, Forum, and DAS simulator.😃

I read Andrew's book a few years ago. However, I just got my US green card and settle down here so that I can focus on learning and practicing Day Trading.

Hope you all well and success in 2020.

I am looking forward to learning from you all.

Brian T.

Hello all,

I'm Vince and live in the San Francisco area. Currently, I work as a category manager (sales analytics) in the consumer package goods industry. Equity trading has always been a hobby...in the past, holding stocks & index funds for the longer term was my strategy, but now shifting to daytrading! I found Andrew's book last year and haven't looked back since. Yes, there have been ups and downs since I started trading live, so I learned the importance of risk management early on LoL.  

I have been a BBT member since October 2019 and so far everyone has been highly encouraging. My nickname is "vinarth" in the chatroom and if you are in the SF Bay area, let's connect and help each other out!

Vince 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brian Tran said:

Hello everyone from Duluth, Georgia, USA! (North of Atlanta, GA)

My name is Brian T. I has just joined the BBT community for a few days.

There are a lot to learn and to practice to be able to a consistent profitable traders. This is all I got after a few days playing around in Education Center, Forum, and DAS simulator.😃

I read Andrew's book a few years ago. However, I just got my US green card and settle down here so that I can focus on learning and practicing Day Trading.

Hope you all well and success in 2020.

I am looking forward to learning from you all.

Brian T.

Hey @Brian Tran !  Welcome!  I'm in the Atlanta area, too.  Hope to see you in the chat!

I think we have a few others in the Atlanta area, but not too many have made an appearance in this thread.  Perhaps we can get a large enough gathering to have Andrew join us for a meetup in Atlanta.

Edited by Lee W

11 hours ago, Lee W said:

Hey @Brian Tran !  Welcome!  I'm in the Atlanta area, too.  Hope to see you in the chat!

I think we have a few others in the Atlanta area, but not too many have made an appearance in this thread.  Perhaps we can get a large enough gathering to have Andrew join us for a meetup in Atlanta.

It sounds great @Lee W. As shown in the Member Map, there are 8 members in Atlanta area and some others around Atlanta.

You should host and set up a Meetup in Atlanta some day in 2020.  Pls let me know if I can help anything.

Brian T.

Edited by Brian Tran

Hi Traders, 

my name is Elias, I am 40, Spanish and live in Dubai, a dynamic city by the dessert getting built super fast thanks to a huge injection of petrodollars ...! ). After studying economics and business in Spain, I decided to do an international career so I lived in Berlin, London and Dubai for the last 18 years working as sales director for a large Telecom and learning 3 new languages.

Then, after 15 years in the same company, I got bored of the product and BS internal politics and negotiated and exit package to say bye bye to the Corporate world. Now I run a distribution business for Telecoms in the Middle East.

I have invested in real estate but since I used to play online Poker before,  I developed a strong risk taking attitude and I was open to learn how to trade. I joined the community almost 1 year and a half ago, have been since then only in the simulator as I had major investments to cover and didn't want to start live until I get saved $25K and learned how to develop a strong discipline and edge.  Always interested in taking calculated risks, learning, helping others to learn by sharing experiences. 

Looking forward to talking with you and seeing some of you one day!.

Cheers,

Elias

Hello All,

My name is Jason, I'm 35, married, and have 3 kids.  I'm from northwestern Wisconsin, USA but will be moving to South Carolina in June.  I've been a member of BBT for a month or so now and decided to put a little intro out there.

I started this journey after reading Andrew's book like a lot of you.  I immediately became hooked.  I've spent the last 2 months reading, watching, and learning in any other way that I can.  I started trading seriously in sim a week ago. It has gone well so far and I credit much of it to the lessons I've already learned while being a member of BBT.

I look forward to continuing to see you all in the chat every morning!

Jason

Okay, let's do this! 

Interests: Star Wars (no surprise there), anime, tea, opera, history, psychology, health/diet/fitness, various forms of epic fantasy. unfortunately though, the level of discipline needed to learn trading means that I've had to significantly limit most of these in order to focus on studying the markets . 

1 year goal: be day trading at least semi-regularly, preferably with real money

2 year goal: become consistently profitable 

3 year goal: attend a number of trading-related seminars, master the necessary testing and programming to create my own systems

4 year goal: if I'm not able to make a living from trading at this point, I'm going to start working for a prop firm which will provide more seed capital. 

Trading-related strengths: I've always been unusually patient for my age (I have zero interest in gaudy sports cars, snorting cocaine off of prostitutes or "living life in the fast lane"), obsessive interests, high trait disagreeableness (my Big 5 is medium introverted, high disagreeable, medium conscientiousness, very low neuroticism and very high openness) 

Trading-related weaknesses: generally low energy, mild schizoid tendencies under stress, tendency toward top down thinking (top-down thinking is overrated in trading. this is really a game where the devil is in the details), not particularly proficient with technology, high trait openness (another overrated trait. it means that various intellectual and artistic distractions are more seductive than they would be for your stereotypical straight and narrow business types), my conscientiousness is only medium. it started out relatively low, but over the years I've slowly forced myself to be more industriousness, and if I am to be successful at this, that trend needs to continue. 

Naturally, these goals are approximations and subject to revision as I gain the competence to more realistically assess my abilities. 

Edited by The Rule of Two

Hi

My name is Shiv, I am new to day trading & this community. I got interested in day trading after reading Andrew’s books. I have been on DAS simulator for 2 weeks, getting used to It.

Will really appreciate any guidance or suggestions on starting trading journal.  I am based in South New Jersey, and would like to sign up for any meet ups in New Jersey & New York area

Thanks

Shiv

Hello everyone. This is Ferguson Shuai from Vancouver. Been working as a data analyst/industrial engineer in US for several years. New to Vancouver and day trading; just finished Andrew's first book last week and will start my paper trading next Monday.  So glad that I found this community. Happy trading!

Hello!

I'm completely new here, having just finished Andrew's book this past week and opened my trial DAS simulator account. Following the promptings in the emails which followed opening that up I've bought a trial membership to the community and plan to hit the simulator with the basic strategies I've been reading about tomorrow morning (after pre-market prep of course). 

After spending a few hours setting up my DAS desktop with a clean layout and some rudimentary chart studies I admit to be humbled by the volume of stuff that I don't know (perhaps a bit spooked too). I figure that following the community's morning and daily practices is a good place to start getting a grip on things. 

Would be glad to make friends with any fellow newbies for mutual support or to learn from any willing to teach!

I look forward to learning from everyone; thank you for this opportunity!

- Adam 

Hi, I'm Dale and I'm new here.

Been casually trading in simulator for a few months before joining BBT as a lifetime member in Jan 2020.  I'm currently in transition, between jobs and have lots of free time on my hands.  That's a blessing and a curse - lots of time to study, read, journal, but also lots of time to OVER TRADE!  I plan to keep trading after (if) I find my next full time employment opportunity.

Goal 1: get good with DAS and the fundamentals of trading that BBT teaches in the next 3 months while in the simulator.

Goal 2: go live with real $ in May 2020 (small amounts, probably work with an offshore broker at first to avoid PDT minimum account size).

Goal 3: in the next 6 - 9 months, get good at risk management and money management, be more selective on my trades, and become consistently profitable (small position sizes).  Practice makes perfect...   

Goal 4: start making some $ in the 4th quarter of 2020, slowly increasing R size and position sizes.

After that....sky's the limit.

I live in the Phoenix AZ area, and would love to connect with some other traders down here.

Cheers!

Dale