Sign in to follow this  
Robert H

Andrew's P&L Today

Why are people so fixated with Andrew's big gains today? I know most of us in the chat were just joking around and busting his chops, but there are

from people who seem really bothered by him not sharing his P&L. One chat subscriber sounded like he was robbed or deprived of something he was entitled to as a paying member. Another guy is calling Andrew a flat out liar. What am I missing here?

I respect Andrew's decision. Firstly, I am more concerned about my own performance than anybody else's--whether that be another trader or a mentor. Secondly, what are we going to learn from the dollar figure? Andrew took abnormally large sizes on FORD today. The chat knew it, he knew it. It was the perfect example of how not to manage your risk as a trader. If the trade went south, I'm sure Andrew would have used it as learning opportunity for the rest of us. "You learn more from other people's failures than their successes."

After having posted his wins and losses in over 200 YouTube videos--from +3000 to -1800--I think Andrew has every right not to announce his monster win. Most traders would be yelling from a rooftop right now. Andrew trades with us every day and invites the entire world to watch him at his best--and at his worst. I think a moment of privacy is well deserved.

Back to my original question. Do people want to fantasize about making the same amount one day? Do they think he is hiding something from us? Bragging rights that their chat is better than another? Or is it just plain curiosity? Please help me understand this infatuation with the dollar figure.

First, let me say that I completely agree with you, Robert. I respect Andrew's decision to not show his P&L. Even if we take the same trades, many will have different P&Ls due to share size. Of course, share size is determined by account size, risk management techniques, and our own psychology. I don't need to see Andrew's P&L to learn the techniques. I just need to learn strategies by showing me wins and losses, not amounts.

Let's remember that money is probably the biggest motivator when it comes to just about everything with many people, if not most people. When you look for a job, one of the first criteria - after determining the job field - is the pay. A lot of people will automatically think the higher paying job is better for them, simply because of the higher pay. I'm certainly not saying this way of thinking is the right way or wrong way, I'm just stating how I think most people approach something like this. I think the same thing goes for trading. When people are watching YouTube, they associate big wins with big success. To them, these big wins = better trader. As we all know, many of those traders that show their big wins rarely show their losses. Those losses help us learn, though. That's one of the many reasons we like Andrew's style. He teaches strategies by showing us his wins AND losses. This statement is so true:

“You learn more from other people’s failures than their successes.”

I do think some of it is curiosity, but mainly I think that many people, in general, are attracted to the money. That's why so many YouTubers that show their fancy cars lifestyle have so many followers. Perhaps people want to live vicariously through those YouTubers. Some just want inspiration. Some just want entertainment.

In the end, though, there will likely always be people that complain. "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”

Thank goodness I'm in this community. I'm thankful to have found Andrew, Brian, and this chatroom. I enjoyed Andrew's book, I'm learning more each day from everyone in this community, and I don't have to filter out the nonsense that so many other chatrooms and traders show.

Thanks for the insight, Lee. You provide some valid points regarding people wanting to live vicariously through others. I guess that's why reality TV and celebrity lifestyle shows are so popular. The premise is wealthy people showing off how rich they are, in turn earning themselves more money. And this leads to even more followers. I hope Andrew doesn't go out and buy a Lambo--the chat would be flooded overnight lol.

I understand people's attraction to money; I used to be a slave to the dollar myself. I think that everybody knows trading can be lucrative. This attracts all sorts of risk-takers, gamblers, impulsive, lazy people, etc. I guess these individuals need to see what successful traders are earning in order to validate their own objectives and goals. Perhaps justify the sacrifices they are currently making on their journey to become a professional trader? For me, day trading is a ticket to freedom. Something to cover my necessities so I can pursue other passions and spend valuable time with loved ones.

Much like you, I am confident enough with Andrew's strategies to not really care about his daily P&L. He has already proven himself with his book, teaching, track record, online presence, etc. Personally, the daily fluctuations in someone else's bank account has zero effect on my life. Which reminds me of an old saying: Don't count other people's money.

Thanks guys, for the words of wisdom. As Robert mentioned what is the point of sharing a P&L that came from an unusual risk? To give a false impression to people? Then what is my difference from other educators out there?

In all honestly I should not have gone so big on FORD, and Brian later mentioned this to me as well.

• Like 1

If people in the chat "really" want to learn they will pay attention to opinions from some members like Robert and Lee above. You two, amongst a few others, are the learned and sane ones. It took me almost a year to join a chatroom because the very first book I read on day trading in 2016 warned against them. I am truly glad that I joined this particular chat as it has members like you guys and is captained by Andrew. If people have an issue with you keeping any particular aspect of your trading to yourself, they can go scratch. We are not here to learn every minute detail of how you actually trade and how much you make, we are here to learn how to trade for ourselves. Complainers need to watch a nature video on baby birds jumping out of the nest...one morning you just have to get out there and jump. Trying to follow exactly how Andrew trades each time is not how to do it. Taking what you have learned and applying it is the way to go. For me personally, I was too busy Friday losing money on 100 share positions to worry about Andrew taking a 10K position on FORD...if I heard correctly. Thank you Andrew for what you do, it is relevant every single day and the community you have built is fun and supportive (most of the time it appears...). One more final thought, did you learn something about position sizing Andrew from your trade? I am sure you did, case closed.

David, thank you for the kind words.

I think you’ve summed it up nicely with this:

Complainers need to watch a nature video on baby birds jumping out of the nest…one morning you just have to get out there and jump. Trying to follow exactly how Andrew trades each time is not how to do it. Taking what you have learned and applying it is the way to go.

Aloha,

This is the reason I really enjoy this chat room, that most are very like minded like Robert, Lee, and David and many others. I am here to learn from someone I have grown to respect and personally think to be by far the best educator. I have grown exponentially as a trader thanks to Andrew. I have enjoyed watching him and his P&L grow but his decision to not post his P&L actually made me respect him that much more. To know that it can give an unrealistic expectation from those that follow and a desire to duplicate. Andrew truly has peoples best interest in mind and not the ego I witness from so many other so called educators (cough, cough rhymes with trarrior wading). Many MAHALO's for all you do Andrew.

I normally mute Andrew once we go live. He's way too distracting when I'm trying to make my own trades :)

Robert....personally, I think it's a guy thing. People just poking other people to get a rise. After all, it doesn't really matter 'why.' People want to be respected for their choices and so, they need to respect the choices of others. Super cool the way you guys stick up for each other though. I like being a part of this sophisticated, caring and sUper comical group. :))