Robbie Williams

Shorting stock on SSR need help

Hi everyone,

Wondering if someone can help me. When I was in the DAS demo, I was able to short any stock regardless of whether it was on SSR or not. Now that I'm using the CME Demo, it won't let me short at all on SSR.

My question is this - when I go to short say 100 shares of a stock when its on SSR, I won't get filled. Does DAS or CME keep your short in the system UNTIL an uptick happens and then fills OR, do you need to press the SHORT button as soon as you see an uptick? For the life of me, I cannot get stock any short on SSR in the CME demo, regardless of whether its ticking up, I do a market order, limit order etc. If it s on a SSR, I cannot short any stock.

Just wondering if its operator error (AKA me) or whether I need to speak to CME about it.

If someone could also post their code for their short hotkey that works that I can compare mine to that would be great 🙂

Cheers

You do not need to short right when you see an uptick. When you place an order, your ticket will sit there until it's filled if the criteria is met.

I'm not familiar with CME, so I can't help you on that subject.

When we trade, we're doing marketable limit orders +/- .05 of the current ask/bid. I may be wrong, but I think Andrew uses different hotkeys for SSR, which alters the order a little bit. If anyone can confirm this, and elaborate more I'd appreciate it.

Thanks mate, shorting on the bid is prohibited during SSR - my hotkey has a marketable limit order to -$0.10 

If anyone could post their code for a working hotkey that would be awesome. 

I don't use any special hotkey to short SSR. As @onosendimentioned, the order sits as pending until an uptick. If the price goes below 0.05 of what the ASK was, then I don't get filled. I have to cancel and try again.

I've been skipped probably 5-10 times in the past 6 months. 

Thank you for posting this Robbie! It's been driving me crazy. Definitely must be CME. I couldn't figure out the problem but didn't think of that. I have had the same experience with it buying on the up-tick in the sim and now not working at all with CME.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People that spend their time telling others what can't be done only annoy those of us out there doing it.

Thank you Robbie for posting this question. Did you ever get answer back from CME? Would you please post their answer if and when you get it. I never thought it was CME either; I have tried so many time but I thought it was just me. I will watch to see if any error the next time I try.