wpicotte

DAS Trader On Mac OS

Abiel

DAS Trader Pro is designed for Windows OS. Mac iOS or other operating systems users should use interfaces for running DAS on their machines. Read more here: DAS Trader FAQ >  5. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Message added by Abiel

I am running a iMac 2017 using 2 external monitors for a total of 3. Running latest OSX. Running Das and Trade-ideas through latest version of parallels. So far no issues to report. Be happy to answer any questions if it would help.

• Like 2

Hey MS. It appears as though i have the same set up a you do, however i can almost set my watch to the DAS SIM freezing on me at least once per day on average. Ive dedicated the max amount of RAM to the windows side to make it run as smooth as possible, but at this point its frustrating to be in a position only to not be able to close it out because the SIM froze. Any ideas?

• Like 1

JVargas - my 2c

My setup: 2017 MacBook Pro 15" core i7 with discrete GPU. I also have the resources maxed in Parallels.

I notice that when I run Duet to use my iPad as a second screen, DAS sometimes gets choppy when the resources are pinned. Otherwise, I haven't noticed any issue.

Not sure what hardware you are running, but one thing I might try is to run windows in bootcamp instead and use that for trading in the morning. Parallels can still access the image and run it in VM when you want to use windows and Mac OS at the same time.

• Like 1

Running DOS on Parallels 3 with monitors and no issue. But I am using the Intel i7 with 32GB. I also maxed out the VM to get the best performance.

• Like 1

Reviving a thread here. I have a Late 2013 Mac Pro with a 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor, 64Gb RAM, and a 500GB SSD drive. Its a pretty serious computer and probably overkill for trading haha. Being part of the chatroom/classes/etc has made me also want to try DAS, but I love my computer and would prefer not to have to get a dedicated PC just for trading as I use and need my computer for other things already. I was going to try the Parallels thing, but reading this has made me a bit nervous. Any updates/new opinions from anyone that commented earlier? I've used parallels before at an old job so I sort of have some experience with that a few years ago. Basically, if anyone has any tips for me or suggestions I'd appreciate any info. Thinking of giving it a try just for the hell of it at least haha. Not ready to give up my Mac though since I need it for work and day trading isn't paying the mortgage yet haha. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hey True, im running DAS on parallels with zero lag as well. Ive dedicated the max amount of RAM to the parallels side and it seems to be functioning as it should.

• Like 1

I've run DAS on my mid-2012 MBP with two external monitors for ~ 3 months. I experienced issues early on, but these occurred while I was running a trial version of Parallels, and prior to purchasing a copy of Windows.

Since purchasing Parallels and Windows, I've had few DAS-related issues. A couple of crashes, but now having been in the chat for a bit, I've 'seen' DAS crash on PCs, too, and cannot correlate mine to Parallels specifically.

So, DAS on Parallels seems solid, particularly with a machine that has decent horsepower.

Another consideration for Mac users is the inability to run more than three monitors - at least on machines of this era. Based on my experience so far, this isn't an unworkable constraint, but if / when I go full time on trading, it would be with the objective of building a dedicated PC / multiple-monitor trading station. For now, I'm content with the native display on my MBP, in addition to a 32" 1440p and 24" 1440p external monitor.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. @wpicotte when you say you can only run three monitors, is that because your Mac can only run 3, or is that an issue related to the paralles/windows on a Mac? I have a Mac Pro that can run up to 6 monitors and has plenty of horsepower so to speak

• Like 1

I have an MBP, so that's my context for the constraint I mentioned. Nothing to do with Windows or Parallels, but it would be worth researching the latter if you're ultimate goal is to max out your video card(s) capacity.

Good deal that you run can so many monitors on the Mac Pro -- seems that most 'pro' trading stations incorporate 4+ monitors.

• Like 1

Hi

I'm running Windows in Parallels on my Mac Book Pro. I have had no issues with downloading hotkeys or opening the Desktop Simulator setup. However, when I open the Laptop set up it opens on the taskbar but not on a desktop. I have done some troubleshooting from suggestions I found online. Moving it to a new desktop. Snapping it left. Checking my display set-up in settings. Nothing works

Has anyone else dealt with this? It is as if the setup is open and caught in another dimension!

Thank you,

Gabrielle

EDIT ROBERT H: Gabrielle, you might have better luck in the MAC OS post. There are other users who can assist. I’ve moved this post there.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 1:21 AM, Robert H said:

Ryan W wrote an excellent piece on building your own PC here.

This link doesn't work anymore. Any chance it could be brought back up?

Hello

Just subscribed to DAS trader yesterday and was testing it on my PC, as well as my MacBook

It seems that no one had tried using WineBottler (http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/) to install DAS Trader on their MacOS.

WineBottler creates a container for Windows Application to be run like a MacOS application.

I just installed it, I have not fully tested it, hope it'll work smoothly. 

Just started day trading 2 months ago. I've been using TWS but find it super slow. However, I do love it's news triangles on chart which makes me very secure. (Before using that there was once breaking news came in and I was still trading my pattern and strategy and lost some money. (Also didn't have a stop loss hot key.) I also like TWS's sophisticated scanner.

This week I just started trying DAS on Parallel with 8 charts (4 stocks) on one screen (27'' iMac 5K).  So far very smooth. I feel like this is easier than back and forth with a couple of screens and extra PC, desk and space since I have everything on one big screen. I also have my laptop next to it for chatroom, news, etc. 

I'm in Asia trading at night so prefer dark charts.

2102313444_Screenshot2019-06-20at5_09_46PM.thumb.png.04d18abf9cfcb7e8468294a090c81978.png

I understand there is a risk brought on with extra software. I had my Mac workstation properly setup, and for the time being, I don't see a point in investing extra hardwares and space in my apartment since I'm still on simulation. At this day and age who says trading has to be done on PC and Windows? Of course, this will probably come back and bite me in the long run.

Edited by leafvert
  • Like 1