wpicotte

DAS Trader On Mac OS

Abiel

DAS Trader Pro is designed for Windows OS. Mac iOS or other operating systems users should use interfaces for running DAS on their machines. Read more here: DAS Trader FAQ >  5. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Message added by Abiel

5 hours ago, Jason H. said:

Re-thinking this topic. One option that hasn't been mentioned and may be perfect is a dual-boot scenario. Macs support partitioned dual-booting (boot to full windows OR full mac) for free. You'll still need a windows license. I happen to have a mac laptop I need to erase and update, so I will get a copy of windows and test a dual-boot as an option.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

Exactly this - I was mentioning it a couple weeks back in this same thread. Still happy people have found it to be working with other avenues, but there is no stabler option than Bootcamp.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 11:15 PM, Justin said:

Exactly this - I was mentioning it a couple weeks back in this same thread. Still happy people have found it to be working with other avenues, but there is no stabler option than Bootcamp.

May i ask what your preferred solution is? 

7 minutes ago, Benjamin Tang said:

May i ask what your preferred solution is? 

100% Bootcamp.

• Like 1

I'm hoping someone can recommend a simple PC setup (make/model, etc) for a new trader who has been a lifetime Mac user. Any suggestions on making the transition easier would be great as well!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason Ward said:

I'm hoping someone can recommend a simple PC setup (make/model, etc) for a new trader who has been a lifetime Mac user. Any suggestions on making the transition easier would be great as well!

Hey Jason, welcome!

We do have a page that has some recommended hardware (just scroll down): https://bearbulltraders.com/software-brokers/

That being said, DAS isn't a huge resource intensive platform; so I always recommend people just buy what they can afford. The main consideration is making sure it can support multiple monitors (as you advance you will undoubtedly want more!)

Edited by Justin

On 3/8/2020 at 12:20 PM, onlyjava said:

Running DAS desktop on a Windows server on Amazon AWS EC2 virtual machine.

Install: It took me less than 5 minutes to bring up a server and install DAS demo app.

The Windows on AWS is Windows Server 2019, which is much more stable than Windows 10 on a laptop.  Windows 10 on a laptop

is **always** updating something or the other and causes so much pain and suffering.

Performance: works fast and seamlessly on my 2018 Macbook Pro 15 inch with 16G RAM. 

Cost: T3a Medium (4G of RAM) $ 0.056/hr ($9 approx /month for a 8 hour day for a typical month - this includes cost of windows license)

Data ownership: AWS does not own your data on your VM. Data transmission when using the DASTrader application is encrypted. AWS will not be able

to read your data transmission.  

Server management: You can temporarily stop or shutdown your server anytime.  When it is stopped, you are paying very little for it.

Reliability:  AWS has phenomenal stability - Netflix, Facebook etc depend on it.  AWS Health Dashboard: https://status.aws.amazon.com/

**update** I am happy to report that even during the heavy traffic on the internet and AWS, during the corona virus work-from-home situation,

my setup is holding up great.  I did not see ANY degradation in performance at all.

Network delay: This is where AWS really shines! See the Network Delay from my DAS below.  This was before market opening on a Test Account.

Quoting Andrew: " A Network Delay below 20 ms is good".  In places far away from Wall Street the network delay tends to be higher if you going through a local ISP.

AWS has superior networks than most ISPs.

onlyjava,  

Is AWS still your preferred method?   T3a Medium?   Any / all recommendations are welcome. 

Like all of the other Apple lifers in this thread, I'm looking for a solution to run DAS simulator on my MAC before investing in a PC.   I have a 27" iMac with 500 GB avail; details below:

738409574_ScreenShot2020-11-03at12_38_58PM.png.0860935d24d7fdceb35def151fdbb3aa.png

Thank you in advance!

1 hour ago, Courtney Watkins said:

onlyjava,  

Is AWS still your preferred method?   T3a Medium?   Any / all recommendations are welcome. 

Like all of the other Apple lifers in this thread, I'm looking for a solution to run DAS simulator on my MAC before investing in a PC.   I have a 27" iMac with 500 GB avail; details below:

Thank you in advance!

Hey @Courtney Watkins 

Is AWS still your preferred method?  Yes 

T3a Medium?

Yes

I set up this vm on aws  in march 2020 and haven't changed it.

Works great for me - I use just one screen setup.

Also the vm hardly fails and I get a  ~ 10 ms (whenever I checked) latency - which is awesome.

Drawbacks: 

Costs about $15/ month or so - don't have an exact number because I have other services running on my account. 

Multiple screen support is almost impossible to setup.

Overall - if you are going pro - you will eventually need multiple screens.

So you have think if this is the way you want to go.

Hey there!

This is my first post. Thanks in advance to all the awesome folks in the BBT community.

I'm finally joining the party and switching to DAS from TOS, and I'm on a MacBook Pro, and I just bought Parallels.

So far so good in that I can run DAS on Parallels without any issues, but I'm having trouble with extra monitors. I don't know how to do it. At all. 

Let me see if I can describe this. I have three monitors in total (my MacBook plus two Asus monitors), and I *am* able to drag my Parallels window from one monitor to the other. That part works. But the DAS program only "lives" in my Parallels window, if that makes any sense. In other words, let's say I have my Parallels window open on my MacBook, and I want to drag a DAS chart to another monitor. I can't do that, because it's confined to the PC universe of Parallels...which as of now only exists on that one window, on the MacBook Pro. I don't know how to expand the Parallels universe across all three monitors, which would allow DAS action.

Does that make any sense? Any thoughts? 

Many thanks in advance!

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 2:03 PM, Manny said:

Hello BBT Mac users,

I have a 2012 iMac with a 3.4Ghz Core i7, 24 GB or RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB video card. I've tried VMWARE Fusion and noticed the overhead of running a VM on my system was too taxing on it even with all that horse power. The VM ran pretty decent using one monitor but I was not able to add a second monitor. For some reason VMware Fusion could not detect the second monitor. I did some research on other solutions and found that Windows Emulation (WINE) was a great solution to my dual monitor limitation with VMWare. I found a great application by CodeWeavers named Crossover which surprisingly works very well with a dual monitor set up. My second monitor is actually a 36 inch LED T.V. which is used primarily for additional charts. I have a $SPY chart, and three other charts for stocks I'm monitoring. Crossover has been a great solution for a die hard Mac user like myself. I despise Windows and prefer the rock solid stability of a unix based OS like macOS. I never have to reboot unlike most Windows users. Eventually I'll upgrade my iMac to to a new model and add more monitors but for now Crossover is a great solution for my setup. WINE is an easy solution for all of you Mac users that are hesitant to switch to a Windows desktop/laptop. 

What I like about Crossover is that it runs DAS as if it were a native running application in macOS. I can use all the macOS keyboard shortcuts perfectly, swipe gestures on a  trackpad/magic mouse work great, and the overhead on your system is minimal as previously mentioned.

You can get a 14 day trial of Crossover at https://www.codeweavers.com and give it a try. 

There is also a free option for WINE named Wine Bottler but the current stable release does not run on the current version of macOS (Catalina). If you're using an older version of macOS it runs perfectly. I have an old 2010 MacBook Pro with macOS Lion that runs WINE Bottler and DAS perfectly. You can get that application at https://winebottler.kronenberg.org .

Cheers,

Manny

Thanks God!! I’ve been searching all day long. It’s the most hopeful explanation for the macbook users. Thanks Manny again. I’ll try them.