wpicotte

DAS Trader On Mac OS

Abiel

DAS Trader Pro is designed for Windows OS. Mac iOS or other operating systems users should use interfaces for running DAS on their machines. Read more here: DAS Trader FAQ >  5. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Message added by Abiel

On 6/20/2019 at 6:28 PM, daniel lindegren said:

No one has mentioned VirtualBox. When I'm mobile and trading on my MacBook Pro, VirtualBox and Windows 7 work flawlessly.

Update: I did end up switching to VMware Fusion. It has better performance and better support for multiple monitors.

So I just got the simulator on a Mac using Parallels. The first time I opened it it seemed fine. But then the second time it got stuck on this error message that it couldn't connect to the server. That error message is mentioned in the their FAQ, but they say the way to fix it is adjust the network. I try and it says "No Permission" and that they don't provide tech support for Macs. Anyone else had this happen?

On 6/20/2019 at 10:19 AM, Lucy L said:

Just started day trading 2 months ago. I've been using TWS but find it super slow. However, I do love it's news triangles on chart which makes me very secure. (Before using that there was once breaking news came in and I was still trading my pattern and strategy and lost some money. (Also didn't have a stop loss hot key.) I also like TWS's sophisticated scanner.

This week I just started trying DAS on Parallel with 8 charts (4 stocks) on one screen (27'' iMac 5K).  So far very smooth. I feel like this is easier than back and forth with a couple of screens and extra PC, desk and space since I have everything on one big screen. I also have my laptop next to it for chatroom, news, etc. 

I'm in Asia trading at night so prefer dark charts.

2102313444_Screenshot2019-06-20at5_09_46PM.thumb.png.04d18abf9cfcb7e8468294a090c81978.png

I understand there is a risk brought on with extra software. I had my Mac workstation properly setup, and for the time being, I don't see a point in investing extra hardwares and space in my apartment since I'm still on simulation. At this day and age who says trading has to be done on PC and Windows? Of course, this will probably come back and bite me in the long run.

Dude, I love your layout and colour styling I also prefer black but I havent managed to get the look you have achieved, any chance you can share it with me? Pleeeeeese 

Just noticed that DAS has this browser-based platform - "DAS ActiveWEB Trader" https://dastrader.com/ then click on Products. Anyone knows how that works and are there any disadvantages over Das Trader Pro? If it's same thing it might be best solution for any PC or MacOS?  

I was researching ways to run DAS desktop on a Mac.

Windows running in VirtualBox:

This option is cheaper if you already have a Windows license.  Too slow - even after allocating 4G of RAM to the VM.

Not a viable option for me. 

Here's the option that I like best so far:

Running DAS desktop on a Windows server on Amazon AWS EC2 virtual machine.

Install: It took me less than 5 minutes to bring up a server and install DAS demo app.

The Windows on AWS is Windows Server 2019, which is much more stable than Windows 10 on a laptop.  Windows 10 on a laptop

is **always** updating something or the other and causes so much pain and suffering.

Performance: works fast and seamlessly on my 2018 Macbook Pro 15 inch with 16G RAM. 

Cost: T3a Medium (4G of RAM) $ 0.056/hr ($9 approx /month for a 8 hour day for a typical month - this includes cost of windows license)

Data ownership: AWS does not own your data on your VM. Data transmission when using the DASTrader application is encrypted. AWS will not be able

to read your data transmission.  

Server management: You can temporarily stop or shutdown your server anytime.  When it is stopped, you are paying very little for it.

Reliability:  AWS has phenomenal stability - Netflix, Facebook etc depend on it.  AWS Health Dashboard: https://status.aws.amazon.com/

**update** I am happy to report that even during the heavy traffic on the internet and AWS, during the corona virus work-from-home situation,

my setup is holding up great.  I did not see ANY degradation in performance at all.

Network delay: This is where AWS really shines! See the Network Delay from my DAS below.  This was before market opening on a Test Account.

Quoting Andrew: " A Network Delay below 20 ms is good".  In places far away from Wall Street the network delay tends to be higher if you going through a local ISP.

AWS has superior networks than most ISPs.

image.thumb.png.f2a9a7f6c5e1482c39dc47437c672f4a.png

From a Mac you can connect to this remote Windows using the free Microsoft Remote Desktop App 10 (available from the Mac App Store for free)

Another plus: I can switch to any Mac that I have easily and have my DAS run on it in less than a minute. All that the Mac needs is a quick install of Microsoft Remote Desktop App. 

Here's DAS doc on this

https://www.dastrader.com/documents/How-to-run-PRO-on-Non-Windows-OS.pdf

Here's a screenshot of my Mac Microsoft Remote Desktop with DAS running on a Remote Windows Server on AWS EC2

image.thumb.png.74e116a2b6ca5f70b4004fd7ff8978b2.png

Edited by onlyjava
more info

I'm setting up my Mac now with VMware Fusion virtual Windows and DAS Pro Trader. So far I can't get the Das desktop set up Montage to right click, so that I can link up my dashboards elements to interlink. Any ideas?

34 minutes ago, David Gottfried said:

I'm setting up my Mac now with VMware Fusion virtual Windows and DAS Pro Trader. So far I can't get the Das desktop set up Montage to right click, so that I can link up my dashboards elements to interlink. Any ideas?

Really not sure why you can’t right click... But to link your montage to charts (if that’s what you mean by “interlink”) you just drag the anchor icon to charts with left click.

Might I suggest Bootcamp instead of emulation software (like VMware and Parallels)? That way you’ll be running Windows natively and will have very few (if any) problems setting up Windows.

Thanks so much Justin. Maybe Bootcamp is the way to way and more powerful than VMware. Not sure yet and I just bought VMware and invested some time. I think the problem is that the site isn't online yet, as my charts don't show any stock charts or load with info.

7 hours ago, David Gottfried said:

Thanks so much Justin. Maybe Bootcamp is the way to way and more powerful than VMware. Not sure yet and I just bought VMware and invested some time. I think the problem is that the site isn't online yet, as my charts don't show any stock charts or load with info.

Hmmm.. Should still show prior data. It might be that DAS is having trouble connecting through VMware.

Have you had any progress fixing this since last night? Also are you using the DAS trial right now?

Yes, good progress Justin and thanks for reaching out. The DAS ProTrader started working this morning and the Montage linkage too. So I think VMware may work out, but it's too early to tell. I did sign up for a DAS account, but went for the full one, not the trial. Hope this works out too. Now it's on to learning the features of the dashboard and how to trade. I did one test trade in the simulator and it worked fine. I appreciate your help and the followup.

• Like 1

Hello BBT Mac users,

I have a 2012 iMac with a 3.4Ghz Core i7, 24 GB or RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB video card. I've tried VMWARE Fusion and noticed the overhead of running a VM on my system was too taxing on it even with all that horse power. The VM ran pretty decent using one monitor but I was not able to add a second monitor. For some reason VMware Fusion could not detect the second monitor. I did some research on other solutions and found that Windows Emulation (WINE) was a great solution to my dual monitor limitation with VMWare. I found a great application by CodeWeavers named Crossover which surprisingly works very well with a dual monitor set up. My second monitor is actually a 36 inch LED T.V. which is used primarily for additional charts. I have a $SPY chart, and three other charts for stocks I'm monitoring. Crossover has been a great solution for a die hard Mac user like myself. I despise Windows and prefer the rock solid stability of a unix based OS like macOS. I never have to reboot unlike most Windows users. Eventually I'll upgrade my iMac to to a new model and add more monitors but for now Crossover is a great solution for my setup. WINE is an easy solution for all of you Mac users that are hesitant to switch to a Windows desktop/laptop. 

What I like about Crossover is that it runs DAS as if it were a native running application in macOS. I can use all the macOS keyboard shortcuts perfectly, swipe gestures on a  trackpad/magic mouse work great, and the overhead on your system is minimal as previously mentioned.

You can get a 14 day trial of Crossover at https://www.codeweavers.com and give it a try. 

There is also a free option for WINE named Wine Bottler but the current stable release does not run on the current version of macOS (Catalina). If you're using an older version of macOS it runs perfectly. I have an old 2010 MacBook Pro with macOS Lion that runs WINE Bottler and DAS perfectly. You can get that application at https://winebottler.kronenberg.org .

Cheers,

Manny

Edited by Manny
  • Thanks 1

Re-thinking this topic. One option that hasn't been mentioned and may be perfect is a dual-boot scenario. Macs support partitioned dual-booting (boot to full windows OR full mac) for free. You'll still need a windows license. I happen to have a mac laptop I need to erase and update, so I will get a copy of windows and test a dual-boot as an option.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

Edited by Jason H.
  • Like 1

Thanks Jason. I ended up installing VMware Fusion and got their tech help. I also bought Windows 10. Thus far it's working smoothly.  I also added a second monitor and got that set up too. A bit hard to get the resolution to work with my Imac settings, but still working well. I can also continue to use the full Mac apps simultaneously.