Peter S

Moving Average Discrepancy

I've just been looking at the 200 moving average on the daily  chart of MBVX, after the close on July 9th.  I've got the exponential, set on Close, with 3 years of data, and the figure on DAS is reading as $1.269.

Looking at the same settings on Tradestation, the 200 ema is reading as $2.17.

Are others seeing the same alternative facts as myself? Have I loused up some setting?  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

You're using 200 simple or exponential?

Regardless, when I was swing trading I would go back and forth between StockCharts and Think or Swim, and I would run into issues all the time with moving averages being in different places.

Edited by onosendi

Thanks for the response.  Exponential on both.

Comparing the price data on the two charts shows a high during 2013 on Tradestation of $547 and on DAS $180.  I guess it probably comes down to how the data is/isn't adjusted - for splits, dividends etc. Whilst trading in this room I've been surprised at how effective the 200ma can be on the 1 minute chart - maybe there's greater agreement about what this price should be (although still with the complication of traders having the choice of using ema or sma).

2 hours ago, Peter S said:

Thanks for the response.  Exponential on both.

Comparing the price data on the two charts shows a high during 2013 on Tradestation of $547 and on DAS $180.  I guess it probably comes down to how the data is/isn't adjusted - for splits, dividends etc. Whilst trading in this room I've been surprised at how effective the 200ma can be on the 1 minute chart - maybe there's greater agreement about what this price should be (although still with the complication of traders having the choice of using ema or sma).

We're using the 200 simple moving average. The only exponentials we use are the 9 and 20.

In my experience, the 200 is powerful on all time frames, whether it be 1min, 5min, or daily.