Hi everybody! I am considering swapping out my 'L-shaped' glass desk (which I have a hex mount that "screws" to the desk on). I had back surgery in October and would love an adjustable 'lift' desk. Many of these types of desks are rather small. I would also have to get a new mount since the one I have may not screw on to the lift desk properly. My concern is any of the hex (or even dual 'over-under') mounts have large bases that would take up a substantial amount of the limited real-estate on the lift desk.

So, who out there has a lift desk, how big is it, and how many monitors are you using? I like a lot of space as I like to sprawl out.

Thanks in advance!

For my first standing desk (now being used by my girlfriend for video editing) I bought the base and had a custom top made. Home Depot does custom kitchen counters and they’ll make them to whatever dimension you ask for (mine is 50x32 inches). I wanted a lot of space as well. For the base I used Jarvis.

I'll be purchasing a sit/stand desk, as well. I've been reading and watching a lot of reviews as well as getting feedback from chat members.

Here is a useful link that covers MANY desks: Beyond The Office Door - Review of 18 desks

Within that link, you'll find another link to their 4 favorite desks. Be aware that one of the desks, the VertDesk v3 is their own product. While it placed 1st in their lineup of the top 4 (imagine that! haha), they still seem to do a fair review of all of the desks.

One desk that isn't mentioned in their reviews is the ApexDesk. Brendon has the 60" 2 button version and likes it. I'm strongly considering this one. It is the only one that has the cylindrical legs. I wonder if this improves stability. If you go to stores that carry desks, you'll soon find how some of these have some definite stability issues when raised. The stability tests in the BTOD link above will show the differences re: stability, as well.

ApexDesk Vortex Series 6-button on Amazon

and

ApexDesk site

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

Hey everybody, so I wanted to post an update to my Lift desk situation. I decided to go with the Apex 71" Elite desk from Standing Desk Nation. I went with the advanced memory controller (since I don't want to press and hold a button, but rather just push a button once for it to move up and down). As a thank you for purchasing the desk (and for eventually leaving a positive review on Amazon), they also sent me a wire management tray for free! I am so happy they sent it to me because I REALLY needed it! I also picked up some wire looms and velcro from Microcenter for better wire management.

I am super happy I went with the 71" desk because the 60" would've been way too small for my setup. Here are some pics of it set at 34" sitting height and 49" standing height.

Sitting position: 34" Height

Apex Desk - Sitting

Apex Desk - Sitting

Standing position: 49" Height

Apex Desk - Standing

Apex Desk - Standing

It raises and lowers quite smoothly and quietly. It handles all of the crap I have on it and it's one of the best purchases I've made (with the exception of Andrew's book and access to the chat room and classes).

Nice, Ryan! Thanks so much for posting the update. I have started wondering if the 60” will be large enough. I’m glad I was able to see an entire trading station on the 71”.

How’s the stability and functionality? Any complaints or suggestions on how it could be improved or are you satisfied across the board?

Lee, Yea I am really glad I went with the 71" desk. I like my monitors "angled inward" which actually takes up a lot of space (and leaves a fair amount of empty space behind the monitors). As far as stability and functionality, it's incredibly stable. It's a tad bit wobbly when it's at max height, however this has to do with my uneven floor and not the desk itself. The desk weighs a ton, but I can easily slide it around on my floor (even though it doesn't have casters). The desk has definitely met my expectations and I would suggest getting the wire management tray as it made a huge difference.

Sweet desk, Ryan! Makes me want to get one too. I'll have to see what options we have up here in Canada.

I'm an avid cable management enthusiast, if I say so myself. Spent hours with velcro, double-sided tape, and zip-ties to tuck away every single cable into my desk's built-in tray. You've done a great job also by the looks of it.

Cable Management

are you satisfied across the board?

I see what you did there, Lee. No pun intended? Have I ever told you that you're a stand-up guy? lol

Have I ever told you that you’re a
stand-up
guy? lol

Hahaha. I didn’t even realize! Now I see what YOU did there! Lolol

Thought I'd chime in here regarding my standup desk from UpDesk. It's l-shaped with a mechanical lift that has three programable positions (or just manual positioning).

I'm new to trading so do not have a bank of monitors, but run a 15" MBPro with two 24" monitors (one of which is about to be swapped out for a 32" curved screen).

The desk is awesome, solid, and has functioned without issue for 2+ years. I could easily support more monitors with a VESA-style mount. For some reason, cannot load a photo of the desk, but you can check out the website. Not cheap but super solid.

I got an electric base from monoprice.com for about $100 on sale, and got a white top at Home Depot for about $25. I love it and recommend it for anyone on a budget.

• Like 1

Nice Kevin, that sounds like a good option. Send us a picture of your setup if possible. Thanks!

Carlos

I wonder how much sales Elgato generated from our community alone, everyone I talked to has a deck, or 2 in my case. Just amazing the power of how word or mouth contributes. I think 'Josh' started us on that migration.