Sean M

Link multiple montage windows to charts

I have some hotkeys built in my main montage. I want to use them in other montage windows, which will be anchored to different charts, for different stocks. Do I have to rebuilt the hotkeys for each montage? I can't seem to find a way to import my hotkeys into the new montage windows without them anchoring to the original charts in my main screen. Thanks!

Hotkeys are global--they work the same for every montage. You have to click the other montage for the hotkey to execute on that specific stock.

Do you mean buy/sell buttons?

No, the issue I have is that no matter what I do, if I load the montage layout from one montage to a new montage, my charts stay linked to all duplicates of any montage with those hotkeys. How to I break the link between charts and montages? I tried dragging the anchor from the new montage to a new chart window, but that didn't work. It just mad the duplicate montage the "master montage," and all charts then linked to that one. Sorry, I'm just a noob.

The issue is less with the buttons and more with how to link a new montage to ONLY a specific chart. There seems to be more to it than dragging the anchor to a chart window. Thanks!

I'm having this same issue. I use the hot buttons on the montage (not hotkeys on the keyboard). I have my one montage that is set up the way I like. If I right click the border of the montage window, save as default, open a second montage, right click the new one, load default... the new montage is a copy of my original. The problem is that I can't unlink them. They won't work independently. I've tried entering a symbol in all of the windows to un-anchor, then I'll re-anchor. No luck.

I have found that if I just open a new montage and I don't load the default from the original, it will anchor as it should.

I would love to know how to create open multiple montages that contain the same hot buttons/settings as my original and have them work independently of each other, as they should.

Sean, I'm searching. If one of us finds the solution, let's post back here.

I was able to replicate the issue. It seems that Loading from Default causes the new Montage to be forever linked with the first Montage. I tried all sorts of clicking/dragging/keystrokes to no avail; gave up after half an hour.

So basically, you should create a hotkey layout, and then load that into a new montage? I need to learn how to create a "set" of hotkeys. Haven't done that yet. I have only created hotkeys individually within my main montage.

I'm not aware of a way to load hot buttons only. You would have to add them manually for each additional Montage (add hotkey to layout config, add row, add buttons, etc).

Oh, maybe I'm confused. When I first setup DAS, I used Andrew's hotkey file, which he provides on the website. I thought that perhaps if I create my own such file, I could do the same thing, and just load up the set of keys, rather than one at a time.

The terminology is not consistent in DAS, and this leads to confusion.

What Lee and I are referring to as Hotkeys:

-Ability to program executions, chart switching, zoom, etc. via keyboard commands

-Andrew provides a hotkey file for onboarders (Hotkey.htk)

-Configured by menu path: Setup > Hot Key

-These commands are global and work across all Montages, as well as charts and within DAS generally

What Lee and I are referring to as Hot Buttons:

-The execution buttons located in the Montage window

-Andrew demonstrates how to create the buttons here

-Configured by right-clicking Montage > Layout Config > adding Hotkey to Window > Adding rows and buttons

-Montage-specific. Can create different buttons for each Montage

-When loading a new Montage from default, the hot buttons are loaded as well. However, new Montage becomes forever linked to first Montage (the bug being discussed in this post)

-Seems you have to create the hot buttons manually in each additional Montage (to avoid the "linked" issue)

I hope that clears things up.

• Like 3

Yep, that's what I was afraid of. I wish there was a way to copy the hot buttons on the montage to carry over to another. Oh well.

Thanks for the input and for spending some time working on it!

Robert thanks for all your help and effort in explaining this. You're right, I was confusing hotkeys with hot buttons, but the issue with the linked montages was SUPER frustrating. At least now I know "that's just the way it is!" --Sean

The latest release of DAS shows the following in the notes:

“Added DuplicateWindow hotkey to duplicate the window on focus. Currently can duplicate Montage, Time/Sale, Chart and Options windows.“

I wonder if this will allow us to create the new montage from the old one as discussed in this thread.

The release notes also show this:

“Bug fix - After clicking Load Default in Frame Window Configuration dialog, linking to Montage window doesn't work.”

Perhaps one of these updates will allow us to create a copy of a montage (with the hot buttons included).

I’m going to update today and see what happens.

I wonder if this will allow us to create the new montage from the old one as discussed in this thread.

Well, I have great news! I downloaded the latest DAS (DEMO, since I'm on sim) and it works! I created a hotkey called DuplicateWindow and made it CTRL-D. Now, if my active window is the montage, I click CTRL-D and it creates and exact duplicate of the montage. PLUS, it is not anchored to anything, so you can anchor it to whatever other windows you want. It works independently of the other montage, just as we wanted.

Also, I tried the SAVE AS DEFAULT method. I right-clicked the frame of my montage, clicked SAVE AS DEFAULT, opened a new montage, right-clicked the frame, LOAD DEFAULT. This worked, too! It loaded the same layout of my first montage into the second and this second montage can be anchored to whatever windows we want.

NOTE: The new montage (with both processes above) did have 200 shares as the default for NASDAQ, 1000 for NYSE, etc. I changed those but then realized that I didn't have the Use Global Default checkbox checked in the Order Template settings of the montage. So, I went ahead and change my Global Default Order Configuration settings. At the top of the screen: SETUP>Order Templates Next, make sure the Use Global Default checkbox is checked when you right-click the montage>Order Template. If it is checked, it will use the Global Default Order Configuration rather that the settings in the individual montage.

• Like 1

Thanks for these posts.

I guess we're pretty lucky to have DAS sort this out just as we need it. I'm a big fan of the montage. With quantities added as Hot Buttons and a decent input device, which in my minority opinion means a trackball, this seems like a pretty sharp trading tool. It most definitely blows IB out of the water.