Robert H

How to add Average True Range (ATR) to DAS Daily Chart

I also like to add ATR to a 1 minute chart, to try to stop myself from entering too large a position.  If you use the standard setting of 14 it takes a significant amount of time for the indicator to catch up with the jump in volatility that usually occurs at the Open.  If you change the setting to 1 then you get constant updates.  Hover the cursor to judge the current average.  Of course position size should really be determined by where the stop is going to go, but having the ATR showing just helps me a bit with a quick reality check.

• Like 1

"You can see that Finviz is displaying an ad that we're not interested in" hahaha.  Good one.  Way to roll with it haha.  Anyways, thanks for showing this.

Edited by True

Appreciate this input into Configuring ATR...

Is it possible to have the ATR presented in the Market Viewer?  Do I enter it in User Notes?  If so, how do I configure it to list the ATR value in that column?

Also, is "Range" in Market Viewer- the range for the current day following the Open?  Meaning that initially there will be very little Range and then it increases in real-time continuously throughout the day?

Finally, my Daily Chart has my ATR values obscured by the current price listing on the y-axis.  Any way I can remove that?

Thanks!

Chart ATR.PNG

2 hours ago, schaeferjjay said:

Appreciate this input into Configuring ATR...

Is it possible to have the ATR presented in the Market Viewer?  Do I enter it in User Notes?  If so, how do I configure it to list the ATR value in that column?  RIGH-CLICK MARKET VIEWER > CONGI > ADD "USERNOTES"  FROM LEFT COLUMN TO RIGHT COLUMN. THEN IT IS MATTER OF MANUALLY INPUT THE ATR FROM THE DAILY CHART,  JUST LIKE YOU TYPE A TICKER

Also, is "Range" in Market Viewer- the range for the current day following the Open?  Meaning that initially there will be very little Range and then it increases in real-time continuously throughout the day? YES

Finally, my Daily Chart has my ATR values obscured by the current price listing on the y-axis.  Any way I can remove that? RIGH-CLICK VOLUME AREA > CHART AREA > CONFIG AREA: UN-CHECK SHOW LAST SALE PRICE 

Thanks!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bclark413 said:

Can you elaborate on why you think the ATR is only applicable to a daily chart? 

thanks,

brian

That's just the standard calculation used in the industry. ATR based on prior 14 day period.

Thanks Robert!  What hotkey script do you use to automatically input the stock symbol when opening finviz?  I attempted to put %SYMB% in the url of the hotkey, but does not open the correct page. 

Just a heads-up that we are trying to get DAS to add ATR and float to the Market View window as a numerical value. ATR should not be too tough since they are calculating that for the charts anyway, we shall see about float.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2018 at 8:11 AM, Jmos said:

Thanks Robert!  What hotkey script do you use to automatically input the stock symbol when opening finviz?  I attempted to put %SYMB% in the url of the hotkey, but does not open the correct page. 

That script is located here:

I have recently requested that DAS place ATR and FLOAT in scanner and Mkt Viewer,  at CEO level.  This is one of 20 enhancements/fix I have requested since reviewing and testing the DAS platform.  Some enhancements have already been done and released in the last update.  Hoping to have more in the next update including ATR and FLOAT.  We will see.

• Like 1

@Norm@Alastair Mowatt Great idea guys! Thanks for trying to move this forward. CMEG's DAS version has a fundamental box, but if you look at the example below there's no data for float. I questioned CMEG's technical support about this and even offered to pay extra to have the float data included, but they just said it was not a feature they were offering at this time. It would save a lot of time from having to jump over to Finviz to get the information.

image.png.a08d8b0d17a31cd1a713732451113b9f.png

Edited by Miguel Angel