Domo

In Das Sim, is it possible to "carry-over" wins and losses?

So I was reading Andrew's new book and it said I should be trading in the simulator as if it were real money. I completely understand why but I am having trouble treating the sim like it were real money because I want to learn as much as possible which I think requires that I trade as much as I can and make mistakes with fake money so I don't make them with real money.

I usually start out the day trading as if the money were real, and I would say that 60% of the time I am able to generate some, albeit small, "profits" (sim money so I hesitate to call it profit). However, since I am in a simulator, I find myself over-trading pretty much every day. My problem is that I get to a point where I would quit for the day, either because I generated enough profit, or because I incurred enough losses that I know I should call it quits. However, because I have the simulator for 3 months and I know I won't use real money until at least this period is over, I feel compelled to continue trading in order to learn as much as I can from practicing in the simulator. Now I have learned many great lessons from doing this, such as the fact that revenge trading and averaging down on a loser are ALWAYS bad ideas. However, also think that I am perhaps learning to take some trades on impulse which I haven't fully vetted, and worse yet, sometimes they work out ok which might reinforce this reckless trading style in my brain.

I think it would be more effective for myself if I could somehow have my wins/losses carry over to the next trading day, this would give me a reason to actually treat my account likes it's real since I wouldn't have that security of knowing that tomorrow is a brand new day with a fresh 25k. Does anyone know if this is possible? Or have any other suggestions for how to handle this specific problem with simulator trading?

Appreciate any and all input! Thanks!

-Dominic

Edited by Domo

DAS automatically resets your trade log/indicators and account at midnight EST, daily. The only workaround I can think of is for you to remember the account balance at the end of each day and set it to that the next morning. See here:

Thanks Robert! So just to clarify, if I were to set it at the end of each day with my profit, it will automatically reset to 25K at midnight EST? I usually record my trades when I am done for the day so it wouldn't be a problem to use the workaround as you suggest but might be better if I record it at the end of my trading day if that accomplishes the same result.

You're right. You can just set the # at the end of the trading day. At midnight it will reset to that value (no change). Give it a shot tonight and let us know.

So I wanted to follow up in case anyone else wanted to do the same thing, Robert's suggestion worked flawlessly. I simply added or subtracted my daily results (at the end of my trading day) from the current equity and then multiplied by 4 to set the buying power and it reset at midnight EST to the values I input so the next day it was accurate. Thanks for that Robert. I used this technique to prove to myself that I was profitable over the long term!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1