Hi everyone, new here and have some questions on getting set up with my computer, I have gone through many posts on ideal requirements but the more I read the more confused I become to be honest.  So hopefully someone can help me out.  I don't mind spending the money to get the right set up but just want to make sure I am getting what I need.  I have looked at some of the recpomendations in the posts, but most them are not readily available in Canada, maybe due to supply chains etc.
-I plan on getting a 24" monitor to start, and then add as I need and advance in my trading career, is this sufficicent for now or should I just buy  a 27" or 32" now?

Here is my current laptops specs

Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version: 19043.1415       AMD Ryzen 3 3250U with Radeon Graphics   system memory: 12GB, Memory slot 1:  8GB Micron Technology 3200MHz

Memory slot 2:  4GB Kingston 2667MHz

graphics device 1:  AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics

So question is, will this laptop work or should I be looking to upgrade, and if so from what I have read on here this is what I should be looking for

-any processor that can run windows 10 will be sufficient?

-get 16MB of ram? (when I looked about 1 in 5 computers had 16GM vs. 8, including most the gaming computers

-a graphics card with seperate ram from the sytem memory

-from what I can tell pretty much everything has the basic hardrive requirements. 

Here are a couple I found today that seem to fit the criterea, are in stock and on sale,

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-17-3-laptop-natural-silver-intel-core-i5-1135g7-1tb-hdd-256gb-ssd-16gb-ram-windows-10/15363490

https://www.staples.ca/products/3000102-en-acer-aspire-3-nxhzwaa00b-173-inch-notebook-34-ghz-intel-core-i3-1005g1-2-tb-hdd-16-gb-ddr4-windows-10-home

Thank you in advance for any advice, cheers

I have day traded on a laptop for several years, but the only thing I can really speak on is the screen space.

In my opinion you might want a little bit bigger screen space than that especially when you are not sure what your strategy is yet.

You will likely need at least 3 different time frames on screen, time and sales, account windows, and level 2.

Unless you are going to be sitting extremely close to your screen, you may have an issue fitting it all comfortably without something a little bigger.

That is my 2 cents.

9 hours ago, greg g said:
-I plan on getting a 24" monitor to start, and then add as I need and advance in my trading career, is this sufficicent for now or should I just buy  a 27" or 32" now?

Hi @greg g ... I agree with some of the comments that you already got ... screen space is the only concern to be explored before getting a laptop for trading. As @peterB mentioned, those specs are above requirements and you won't have troubles with any software platform (DAS or TWS) however you have to take into considerations some caveats : laptops expansion posts (USB, HDMI, etc) are fixed and limited and you wanna add some more screens in the future for a triple screen setup which is very common you might have very limited options via extension ports. On the other hand, a laptop will get you a trading station that can be used everywhere if you travel a lot.

Thinks I'd take into consideration going all-in with a portable trading station : a good base, USB keyboard and USB mouse for best ergonomics 

Super cheat ikea base:  https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/braeda-laptop-support-black-60150176/

Screens : I've got 3x 24" Dell u2500 series (res 1920x1200) and I totally regret my decision. Now, after 3 years, I'd better get 3x 27" FHD 1920x1080 which are pretty inexpensive and common. Check this one as an example

HP 27 Inch FHD 1080p IPS LED Anti-Glare Monitor : https://www.amazon.ca/New_HP-1080p-Anti-Glare-Monitor-FreeSync/dp/B097SMZBSN/ref=sr_1_5

Extra Connections : you will need to expand your ports if you want to connect more than 1 external screen via expansion ports or expansion panels. Check this ones

USB-C to dual HDMI Adapter : https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-Thunderbolt-DisplayPort-Compatible-Pixelbook/dp/B0899HYCR3/ref=sr_1_15

Portable Monitor : https://www.amazon.ca/PTVDISPLAY-Portable-Extender-External-Speakers/dp/B09BJX5CDR/ref=sr_1_6

I'd choose the adapter + 2 extra 27" FHD monitors side-by-side with the main laptop screen + base + keyboard + mouse

LP1.png.cde10bb04f4efc2b1a82e30f25fcb046.png

• Like 1

Awesome, thank you for the replys, the 27" monitor makes sense, I was just on the recomendation on the BBT website, so will grab one today so tomorrow I can actually see what they are talking about in the chatroom.   There are some 27" monitors on sale at staples right now as well, it seems the real price jump is going tot he 32" not the 24-27"

everything else makes sense, great news if I don't have to upgrade my computer just yet, i do have 2 USB and a VGA port, snd that adampter is pretty cheap, along with the stand etc. 

What about having a dedicated laptop for trading, I don't really use it for much else other than e-mails, word processing, spreadsheets and have a few photo editing programs, but all my photos and documents are stored in the cloud so they don't take up any memory.  I do have a couple laptops sitting around my office I could use for day to day stuff if needed. 

Oh no worries there, already have a dedicated machine for the xxx sites.

I found a deal on a 27" so started with that and will expand from there depending on how it works for me. 

• Like 1