wigetjoel@gmail.com

IB for swing trading?

Hi,

I think the advantages of having DAS greatly diminish if you're swing trading and not day trading. IB's TWS is decent for general swing trade management. You can also use free tools like FinViz, Thinkorswim demo accounts, etc to help. I like how you can having earnings dates shown on the chart on TOS.

Hi Wigetjoel

Welcome to Swing Trading.....little late with my comments but hope this is helpful as well.

If you are interested in swing trading, note that  the trading platform is just an interface/application software. Before you use the application, you should have a Trading Plan. In your Trading Plan you would identify what you want to trade, where to get the information, what analysis you need to perform, how and when to place trade orders, and how to manage trades, etc. The application tool should be compatible with your Trade Plan, not the other way around.

There are generally three types of swing trading:

1. Short term - days to weeks

2. Intermediate term - weeks to months

3. Scalp - same day, overnight

Your Trade Plan will identify what type of swing trade you want to do, and this will generally dictate the trading platform to use. Some other things to watch for are:

1. Type of trades will indicate number of trades you will perform and the associated cost/commission

2. Platform maintenance fee

3. Taxation info available from your Platform/Broker

Food for thought: Design your trade. Trade your design. Keep your trade simple. Take responsibility for your trade.