Mathew

Docking Station for monitors

Hi, 

I have a question regarding docking station. 

What type of port should laptop have to be able to connect to a docking station? 

I have a HP Laptop 15-dy2013ca laptop (https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c07006509) and I was wondering is it possible to connect this laptop to the docking station? It has USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate,  2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate. If yes, can you please recommend one?

Take a look at the Plugable ‎UD-3900, it provides dual video outputs, wired Gigabit Ethernet, 3.5mm Headphone and Microphone jacks, two USB 3.0 ports, and four USB 2.0 ports.

DUAL HD MONITORS - Built-in HDMI and DVI outputs each supporting 1920x1200 resolution @ 60Hz refresh rate. Includes DVI to VGA adapter and DVI to HDMI adapter. HDMI port supports resolutions up to 2560x1440 @ 50Hz with a single HDMI display only

Just be mindful that 2560x1440 output only available when using a single HDMI display. If dual displays are connected, each will be limited to a maximum resolution of 1920x1200. 2560x1440 output requires a "High Speed" HDMI cable.

Thank you so much Abiel. It seems if I want to use USB-3 I will be able to connect only up to two monitors. 

On 8/20/2021 at 10:06 AM, Mathew said:

Thank you so much Abiel. It seems if I want to use USB-3 I will be able to connect only up to two monitors. 

Yes, that's correct. You can use these Plugable USB to VGA Video Graphics Adapter for Multiple Displays up to 1920x1080 for additional screens, I used two of these from 2018 to 2021, they worked flawlessly until I upgraded my setup.  

The UD-3900 is great, for laptop users you only need one USB 3.0 cable to connect everything to your laptop, even network, mic and headphones/speakers (UD-3900 sound output is stronger than computer´s output) so if you need to leave with your laptop you just  need to unplug one cable. It is small enough for travel and provides multiple USB ports 3.0 and 2.0 

Thank you so much Abiel. Super helpful information. Even it answered my questions for future upgrade. 

Regards, 

On 8/21/2021 at 1:07 AM, peterB said:

how many do you need?

I would like to have  3 monitors.